Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sending money back to UK

Sending money back to UK

Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sending money back to UK

We have been sending canadian cheques back to the UK for my brother in law to put into our english Nat West bank account as we have our life insurance and a couple of things still being paid through that account.
Last week though the Nat West said that they would not take foreign cheques and so we now cannot use that method any more.

Which is the cheapest way to send money back to a UK bank?
We want to send around $400 every couple of months.

Any ideas???
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:41 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending money back to UK

Originally Posted by pennyhp
We have been sending canadian cheques back to the UK for my brother in law to put into our english Nat West bank account as we have our life insurance and a couple of things still being paid through that account.
Last week though the Nat West said that they would not take foreign cheques and so we now cannot use that method any more.

Which is the cheapest way to send money back to a UK bank?
We want to send around $400 every couple of months.

Any ideas???
I am not sure with Nat West, but in the past couple of weeks, both our HSBC and Halifax accounts have set up International transfer from online banking. I am not sure of the cost - or even if there is one though.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Gcauseway has a spectacular aura aboutGcauseway has a spectacular aura aboutGcauseway has a spectacular aura about

Could you do a money transfer with such a place as www.xoom.com

I see them advertised all the time ... you're charged $5

just a suggestion ... good luck
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

DHammond is a jewel in the roughDHammond is a jewel in the roughDHammond is a jewel in the roughDHammond is a jewel in the roughDHammond is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
We send money back to the UK and we use Paypal.
There is a charge not sure exacatly how much, hubby deals with it but money is cleared almost straight away in to the UK bank.
Hope this helps
Deb
Old May 1st 2009, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

purdie is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Sending money back to UK

If you have a debit then just ring your bank and tell you want to put some money in your account. Its just like spending money. No charge. I did it from the UK.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:56 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Double check the small print of your life insurance too - some become invalid if you're no longer a UK resident.