Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sending luggage to Canada.

Sending luggage to Canada.

Old Jul 27th 2015, 6:31 am
TRC
Forum Regular

TRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sending luggage to Canada.

Hi guys,

I'm shipping a suitcase to Canada. Basically loads of winter clothes ready for when I get there. Shipping it to my partners mother who is a Canadian citizen. I'm using a company called Send My Bag.

I need to stick the B4 form on the suitcase, but the person I'm exporting too is not a future, returning or beneficiary. So the guy at send my bag told me to leave it blank, and not to full the contents declaration in as I can use Send My Bags own form.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this as the guy I was speaking with didn't seem too reliable?
Old Jul 27th 2015, 6:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending luggage to Canada.

Are you going to be moving to Canada permanently? Do you have PR (or about to have) and have you 'landed' previously, or will you be landing when you arrive?

A B4 is for either goods accompanying (you) or goods to follow (you). It's not for sending over a spare set of clothes - unless you included it with the rest of your things on the form - you only get to submit it once and you need to include everything you will be sending over at any time in the future.

Wouldn't it be easier to arrange for it go excess baggage or cargo on the same flight you are on?

Old Jul 27th 2015, 6:59 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

TRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond repute

I'm taking two flights so its easier to ship it. I'm still in the application process. Send my bag say I have to fill it out for the person I'm importing too. I'll be going to Canada on dual intent in 3 weeks. Then get PR in December
Old Jul 27th 2015, 7:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRC
I'm taking two flights so its easier to ship it. I'm still in the application process. Send my bag say I have to fill it out for the person I'm importing too. I'll be going to Canada on dual intent in 3 weeks. Then get PR in December
So when you get PR, that is when you hand in your 'Goods to follow (B4)' form - if you fill it out with just one suitcase, you won't be able to bring anything else! http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_...w#New_Settlers

You could send it Cargo on a direct flight with Air Transat (if they fly from an airport near you), and pick it up from the cargo terminal at the airport in Canada (you usually have 48 hours to collect). http://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/Trav.../Baggage/Cargo

It doesn't sound like 'send my bag' knows what they are talking about, to be honest.

Have you considered using a different company if you don't want to send it by Cargo?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 27th 2015 at 7:19 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 7:45 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

I guess that's OK as I won't be sending any more luggage. It's a bit wierd as I've only used the form to put my partners mams name and address.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 1:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The way you want to do this, the person you are sending to would likely get dinged taxes and duty, plus brokerage. It will come in as an import rather than personal possessions, as you are not an immigrant at the time of the arrival of the bag.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 1:59 am
TRC
Forum Regular

Really? Well I've sent it now, the value is only around £200. Send me bag never told me this.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:47 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRC
Really? Well I've sent it now, the value is only around £200. Send me bag never told me this.
When it goes to clear customs you'll find out. Send Me Bag is not a custom clearer, so there is no reason to tell you. Shippers assume you know the import restrictions and costs at the destination country. FeDex or UPS would not have told you either unless you asked.

Did you attach customs documents to the shipment? The issue is that you are not a Canadian resident or visitor at the time of the arrival of the bag and the recipient is not the owner of the bag or contents. It therefore may appear as a gift or import. Customs require documentation and value for every unaccompanied item arriving in Canada.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:55 am
TRC
Forum Regular

On the SMB site they say that I shouldn't have to pay taxes on a suitcase full of clothes. I attached an itinerary.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by TRC
I guess that's OK as I won't be sending any more luggage. It's a bit wierd as I've only used the form to put my partners mams name and address.
So you are not going to be bringing over any other belongings, ever? No CD's, DVD's, Photos, Games, no electronic devices of any kind (Ipod, Xbox, PS4), Camera, Books or anything else?

Best of luck with it anyway, hope your partners' Mum doesn't get dinged for Duty/Taxes.

Edited to say, Send My Bag doesn't have a clue how it works, they told me (via their online messaging) that you can use a B4 form (Goods to Follow) each time you send items into the Country. Fail!

Customer Service Team
Hi - Our Travel Team are online, feel free to ask us a question by typing below. Or just click the " - " in the top right corner of this box to make it close

Nikii Hi there, thank you for getting in touch.
You — Do you know what customs forms I need to send a bag to Canada please?

Nikii You would need to fill in a packing list, and a personal effects form
You — Personal effects? Is that a B4?

Nikii That's correct

You — Hmm... but that's a 1 shot deal isn't it - i.e. you can only use a B4 once and it must include everything you will ever send to Canada = "goods to follow" If I only put the suitcase on it, I won't be able to send the rest of my belongings duty free will I?

Nikii You would only be able to complete one form per shipment that you are sending

(Name abbreviated)

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 28th 2015 at 6:48 am.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:25 am
TRC
Forum Regular

I'll bring over a 23kg suitcase and hand luggage,if I still can. Either way its not in my name?
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by TRC
On the SMB site they say that I shouldn't have to pay taxes on a suitcase full of clothes. I attached an itinerary.
It is up to customs at time of import and how the paperwork was filled out. On their website it refers to visitors or returning residents. I would imagine most arrive at the same time or ahead of their bags. At the time this bag arrives, you will be neither. The recipient is a third party. If it is this easy to avoid customs duty, I'd have the stuff I import sent this way. Time will tell, it may not get pulled off the line for inspection.

SMB website:
'If your shipment enters a customs clearance event, please be aware it can take 24-72 hours for information to be received and processed. Once the extra information is provided or duty paid, it can then take 24-72 hours from the point customs officially clear the item for it to be processed'

'Just as an airline cannot check your visa, SendMyBag cannot check you have complied with the destination customs regulations. We recommend every customer sending outside of the EU takes 5 minutes to check the regulations for their destination directly with the destination country's official travel advice line/customs office.'
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:52 am
TRC
Forum Regular

Yeah I probably should have checked, I just read that if its clothes I should be ok.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:01 am
TRC
Forum Regular

Sorry I'm reading this on my phone and missed a few things.

Crazy that send my bad messed up, I asked two different people on there online chat.

I'll let you know how it goes. Surely people import things all the time?
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by TRC
Sorry I'm reading this on my phone and missed a few things.

Crazy that send my bad messed up, I asked two different people on there online chat.

I'll let you know how it goes. Surely people import things all the time?
Goods are imported every day, the items get cleared through customs, brokerage, taxes and duty paid where deemed applicable. It does not matter if it is clothes or Mars Bars, if CBSA decide there should be tax and duty, you are stuck with it. You could try and reclaim it after you arrive if it is charges.

Visitors and returning residents bringing goods with them that they take away when they leave can bring personal effects with them free of taxes. The import is done as they enter the country with their belongings.

Where complications arise is where incoming goods are not accompanied and sent to a third party. CBSA have no way to tell is it is really an advance visitor shipment, a gift or a purchased item. There is many a trick used to avoid duty and taxes, I am sure CBSA have heard and seen it all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.