Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Selling a UK property in Trust - tax advice needed

Selling a UK property in Trust - tax advice needed

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Question Selling a UK property in Trust - tax advice needed

I've been the financial beneficiary of a UK property held in Trust since 2009, which my Grandmother was living in (rent free). I emigrated in 2011 and now she's moved into a care home I need to sell it. I've been told in that in the UK I'd be liable for capital gains from 2009 - 2016. I don't know how I stand here though with respect to declaring worldwide income? Does anyone know an international tax advisor in/near Barrie, ON or have any advice they can offer? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 10:46 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a UK property in Trust - tax advice needed

Originally Posted by Steven.Vu
Hi Joe. I answered this in another thread earlier but the answer remains the same:

To best understand if you will be taxed or not, I would suggest asking the advice of a basic international tax accountant - either here in Canada, or the UK prior to doing so.

In the UK - you can obtain independent tax advice from an FCA approved provider (generally based in UK) and that advice is usually fee based- different for every advisor.

Caution is never a bad idea.
That's exactly what the OP asked for in his post and you just advised him to get what he asked for information on in the first place !?!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 22nd 2016 at 11:13 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 10:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

< snip quote as post removed. >

Would you happen to be a financial advisor, or perhaps work for one?

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 22nd 2016 at 11:10 pm. Reason: Per above.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joepublic
I've been the financial beneficiary of a UK property held in Trust since 2009, which my Grandmother was living in (rent free). I emigrated in 2011 and now she's moved into a care home I need to sell it. I've been told in that in the UK I'd be liable for capital gains from 2009 - 2016. I don't know how I stand here though with respect to declaring worldwide income? Does anyone know an international tax advisor in/near Barrie, ON or have any advice they can offer? Thanks in advance.
We need more details to before we can give any useful advice (we = all other posters - not a royal we).

Who is the trustee? Who holds legal title to the property? (You don't need to name names, just the relationship to you and your mother.) Are there any beneficiaries of the trust apart from yourself? Or do you mean that you own the home and you have allowed your mother to live there?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We need more details to before we can give any useful advice (we = all other posters - not a royal we).

Who is the trustee? Who holds legal title to the property? (You don't need to name names, just the relationship to you and your mother.) Are there any beneficiaries of the trust apart from yourself? Or do you mean that you own the home and you have allowed your mother to live there?
Thanks for the replies. In short(ish), my Grandmother is the owner, her name is on the deeds and she is the trustee. She put the property in trust in 2001 with my Dad as the beneficiary. He died in 2009 and in his Will I became the beneficiary. My Grandmother carried on living there until Jan this year when she moved into a care home. She is now going to sell it for me. It's never been declared on a T-1135 by the tax firm I use, although I told them about it.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 12:58 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. In short(ish), my Grandmother is the owner, her name is on the deeds and she is the trustee. She put the property in trust in 2001 with my Dad as the beneficiary. He died in 2009 and in his Will I became the beneficiary. My Grandmother carried on living there until Jan this year when she moved into a care home. She is now going to sell it for me. It's never been declared on a T-1135 by the tax firm I use, although I told them about it.
As a caution please read the sentence in my signature.

OK, well this sounds like good news for you. You never owned the house so you had nothing to report about it. Generally, you only need report an interest in a foreign trust if you acquired it for value. Once the house sells and you receive the funds they will be reportable if they stay in the UK. This seems like an inheritance which is not taxable in Canada.

The trust may have to pay CGT on the house. That is a question for a UK accountant.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

OK, well this sounds like good news for you. You never owned the house so you had nothing to report about it. Generally, you only need report an interest in a foreign trust if you acquired it for value. Once the house sells and you receive the funds they will be reportable if they stay in the UK. This seems like an inheritance which is not taxable in Canada.

The trust may have to pay CGT on the house. That is a question for a UK accountant.
That makes sense to me, thanks for your help. The solicitor helping with the sale said UK CGT would apply, but they seemed to think I would pay it as per this?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:55 am
Binned by Muderators

That makes sense to me, thanks for your help. The solicitor helping with the sale said UK CGT would apply, but they seemed to think I would pay it as per this?
Possibly, but only on a gain since April 2015.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Possibly, but only on a gain since April 2015.
Yes, that's my understanding too.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

I think it may also be exempt under this criteria too as my Grandmother was living there:

Specified foreign property does not include personal-use property. Personal-use property is generally defined as property owned by the taxpayer that he or she or a related party uses primarily for personal and enjoyment purposes.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Steven.Vu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
< snip quote as post removed. >

Would you happen to be a financial advisor, or perhaps work for one?

Hi Aviator, I am, how did you guess? I decided to add my LinkedIn profile to my signature, but I don't think the forum would appreciate me going into more details than that - forum rule restrictions.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: Selling a UK property in Trust - tax advice needed

So in reference to this issue, the sale has been agreed in principle so I'm doing my due diligence and trying to take professional advice. I've trawled the internet and found a guy called Michael Atlas, who appears to be well qualified. He's reviewed my situation and is asking for $600 (+ tax) for his services. Does that sound like a reasonable price for this type of work or should I be looking elsewhere? Any advice from members here is appreciated.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 5:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

So in reference to this issue, the sale has been agreed in principle so I'm doing my due diligence and trying to take professional advice. I've trawled the internet and found a guy called Michael Atlas, who appears to be well qualified. He's reviewed my situation and is asking for $600 (+ tax) for his services. Does that sound like a reasonable price for this type of work or should I be looking elsewhere? Any advice from members here is appreciated.
It is hard to comment on another accountant's fees as I don't know the cost structure of their firm or know of the scope of work beyond what has been written above. Fees for international tax are generally higher than regular work as there are not so many people with the expertise. A tax partner at a bigger firm will charge that fee per hour.

I don't think you are being ripped off.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

He's reviewed my situation and is asking for $600 (+ tax) for his services.
What exactly are his services? From what you have said, it seems there are potential tax implications both in the UK and Canada. Will Michael Atlas supply advice on both, or will you additionally need to employ a UK accountant? You should get a full written quote on exactly what he is going to do for the $600 (+ tax).
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 9:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
What exactly are his services? From what you have said, it seems there are potential tax implications both in the UK and Canada. Will Michael Atlas supply advice on both, or will you additionally need to employ a UK accountant? You should get a full written quote on exactly what he is going to do for the $600 (+ tax).
I doubt it would even be worthwhile for an accountant to do a full written quote for $600! We pay nearly that much per hour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.