Reload this Page >

Selling property in UK after Landing in Canada

Selling property in UK after Landing in Canada

Old May 1st 2012, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Lindita will become famous soon enough
Default Selling property in UK after Landing in Canada

Hi All,

Our Visas are due to expire next month, we've accepted an offer in our flat 2 months ago and we are hoping to agree on exchange and completion very soon. We were hoping to fly this month...

However, I wanted to ask your opinion and experience around the following scenario:

What if we decide to sing a Power of Attorney to our solicitor for them to complete all of the selling? Does any one have experience on this? Is it advisable?

Also, what about the money received as a result of the selling if it comes AFTER Landing as a PR? any tax implications?

This is our first property, first time selling as obvious and no family or friends whatsoever in the UK that we could ask for help or advise, so I would really appreciate your thoughts....

Thanks!
Old May 1st 2012, 6:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling property in UK after Landing in Canada

Originally Posted by Lindita

Also, what about the money received as a result of the selling if it comes AFTER Landing as a PR? any tax implications?
Only if the pound strengthened against the Canadian dollar between you landing and receiving the proceeds of the sale.
Old May 1st 2012, 6:21 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Only if the pound strengthened against the Canadian dollar between you landing and receiving the proceeds of the sale.
What if it weakened, can you claim this back?
Old May 1st 2012, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

we sold our house in the UK whilst in Canada..not PR, but TWP.

My dad and his wife were signed over as power of attorney before we left.

Basically they were just a convenience for signing the house sale paperwork on our behalf. Your solicitor only acts on your instructions even with POA, so no need to worry about them running off with the deeds ;-)

good luck!
Old May 1st 2012, 6:43 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spaceace
we sold our house in the UK whilst in Canada..not PR, but TWP.

My dad and his wife were signed over as power of attorney before we left.

Basically they were just a convenience for signing the house sale paperwork on our behalf. The solicitor only acts on your instructions even with POA, so no need to worry about them running off with the deeds ;-)

good luck!
Or the proceeds.
Old May 1st 2012, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

We sold our house from here in Canada just fax and email had to get a witness on final contract left the money there pound too weak
Old May 1st 2012, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Lindita will become famous soon enough

Thank you all, That's what I thought and what I learned from my research, however my husband is somehow against it, he can't really tell why but he is not that keen on the idea...

I have a potential job offer that requires me to start ASAP in Canada, so it looks like a good idea for me to move sooner rather than later....

Thank you all and I'll have a chat with my husband tonight....
Old May 1st 2012, 7:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
What if it weakened, can you claim this back?
No, but you can carry the loss forward and use it against any capital gains you have in the future.
Old May 1st 2012, 7:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No, but you can carry the loss forward and use it against any capital gains you have in the future.
Thank you for replying..
Old May 1st 2012, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

chillingincanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Selling property in UK after Landing in Canada

We didnt sell our UK house until we had left the UK. The solicitor emailed all the documents for us and we sent the signed copies by DHL on the Friday afternoon and they where on the solicitors desk by 4pm on the Monday.