Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Selling the house in th UK

Selling the house in th UK

Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:40 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling the house in th UK

By here I assume you mean Red Deer. Property out there seems to take even longer than here to sell if you live outside of towns in the more rural areas.[/QUOTE]

Actually the house is 40 mins out of Red Deer, so ruralish as it's in a village. Things are still pretty slow here in town though.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
Our house is an 1880s 4 bed semi in rural south Wales, half an hour from Cardiff.
I de-cluttered and painted it cream throughout before it went on the market.
We put it on the market last May with a high street estate agent, and had 5 or 6 viewings before September. Then nothing. No phone calls from the estate agent, no progress report. Nothing.
We decided the agency wasn't working hard enough for its money, and took it off their books in December.
We took a month break, and put it back on the market with an online agency in January. After 2 days, we had our first viewing, and they made a (low) offer, which we refused. They upped the offer a couple of days later, and we accepted.
We're hoping to exchange contracts in 2 weeks, and to complete in early April. Not bad for an unsellable house. I would recommend the agency - getanoffer.co.uk. Very proactive, and cheaper than most high street agencies.
This goes to show that even painting the house doesn't attract buyers...it's all down to how hard the agents work to push the viewers into coming to see it.

Originally Posted by Skimom
I'm also busy with decluttering and repainting ready to put the house on the market, though probably not until mid to late May judging by the time it's taking me!

Robin, I well understand your decluttering problems. It's all very well trying to sort stuff out but you do have to put it somewhere. I think I'm just one of those people who has too much "stuff"!! My husband's suggestion is to just bin it all but then I might need something I've just chucked out...

Rubberduck, we are not too far from you, between Guildford and Aldershot (one of my reasons for moving to Canada, lol) and the market does seem to have picked up round here since Christmas. One of our neighbours was on the market for a year at a ridiculously high price...come January they reduced their asking price to a more sensible one and sold within 3 weeks. Hopefully that will happen for us when our time comes

I suppose we could always rent the house out when we go but I'd prefer to just get rid of it and not have the worry of wondering what's going on there while we're so far away. Plus, we need the money to buy in Canada.

Good luck to everyone trying to sell their house - let's hope we all find buyers soon!
My OH is ther hoarder - my task at the moment is to put 49 car and bike manuals on ebay. Aaaah! We really aren't in the position to rent but I can see this taking a while.

Originally Posted by Clematis
Hi Robin,
Do you need a hand with the de-cluttering???

OMG - there is so much of everything!

Having seen a picture of your gorgeous house, I do not think you should start lowering the price yet. I know that the estate agent said not to paint the house, but have you considered doing it.

Yes, have considered it but having always painted it myself...it would be a mammoth task now that it's yellow - would need a week off work to do it justice with a couple of coats of white to cover the yellow, and warmer weather would help. I have always painted it in summer before.

I know it would not put me off, but personally I think it might put others off, if they cannot see beyond a colour of paint. You know how narrow minded some people can be.

Maybe, just maybe I'll think about it as it warms up.

Just a thought....
Originally Posted by johnh009
You are right about changing agencies. I have recently returned to the UK from Canada and am astonished as to how slow the UK estate agents are off the mark compared with their Canadian counterparts. As a cash buyer, I have enquired about numerous properties over the past few months and four agents have even failed to return my calls although the houses are still for sale. In one case, they told me it would take two months to close on an empty house and that is with me having no house to sell. I wonder if the people who are selling these homes really know how hard their agents are working and wonder why their properties are not selling? In another case, an agent insisted that they tried to contact me but no message on my mobile, answering machine, or email. Just excuses or a pack of lies. I believe some agents in the UK work on a salary and others on commission which may explain a lot.
That's interesting, fancy ours then? Lol
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

lindabey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we plan to move to Canada in August . Our house in St.Albans , Hertfordshire is also up for sale and has been so since the last week in January. We have had 4 viewings but no luck. have had no viewings for 2 weeks now and we have just dropped our price by 15.000 but still no go yet. think it is quiet all over at the moment. We too need to sell before we go really so I am hoping it will pick up by the end of March. We arnt dropping price any further. There are other houses on this estate up for sale and they too have had boards up longer than mine. Hope you get some luck soon
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

We have our house up for sale in Cornwall - it's been on the market since mid-December. We marketed at £250,000 (£15,000 less than it was valued at by four agents, although the stamp duty threshold was always going to put paid to us getting £265,000).

We've had LOTS of interest and numerous viewings, but no offers...and everyone gives the same reason - they don't like the state of the house opposite. What are you meant to do about that?...go across and knock on their door (they're a way off and we've never actually spoken to them before) and ask them to paint their house because it looks like crap?

We have another viewing tomorrow...we fly out to Canada on Monday...it would be bloody lovely to have an offer just before we leave!!

We are taking a philosophical view of things though...all the viewings so far have taken place whilst we've been packing up/selling our lives in preparation for leaving. As of tomorrow, the house will be completely empty and a blank canvas for potential viewers...we'll see what that does.

If June/July comes round and we've had no joy, we may well rent it out for 6 or 12 months, then try again.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindabey
Hi, we plan to move to Canada in August . Our house in St.Albans , Hertfordshire is also up for sale and has been so since the last week in January. We have had 4 viewings but no luck. have had no viewings for 2 weeks now and we have just dropped our price by 15.000 but still no go yet. think it is quiet all over at the moment. We too need to sell before we go really so I am hoping it will pick up by the end of March. We arnt dropping price any further. There are other houses on this estate up for sale and they too have had boards up longer than mine. Hope you get some luck soon
Thanks and good luck to you too.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JandG
We have our house up for sale in Cornwall - it's been on the market since mid-December. We marketed at £250,000 (£15,000 less than it was valued at by four agents, although the stamp duty threshold was always going to put paid to us getting £265,000).

We've had LOTS of interest and numerous viewings, but no offers...and everyone gives the same reason - they don't like the state of the house opposite. What are you meant to do about that?...go across and knock on their door (they're a way off and we've never actually spoken to them before) and ask them to paint their house because it looks like crap?

We have another viewing tomorrow...we fly out to Canada on Monday...it would be bloody lovely to have an offer just before we leave!!

We are taking a philosophical view of things though...all the viewings so far have taken place whilst we've been packing up/selling our lives in preparation for leaving. As of tomorrow, the house will be completely empty and a blank canvas for potential viewers...we'll see what that does.

If June/July comes round and we've had no joy, we may well rent it out for 6 or 12 months, then try again.
Good luck...at least you've done your decluttering now!
Old Mar 17th 2011, 9:44 am
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I got home yesterday from two days in Frankfurt to find out our chain had collapsed and the sale has fallen through. So we're back to square one! We had sold in January - to a couple who had sold there's to people in rented - and their purchasers were the one's that changed their minds. What a bummer.

So now we start all over again. At least the daffodils are out in the garden. If there's one thing I've learned through this process thus far, it is that I shall only worry about the things I can change - and not use vital mental real estate on those things that I have no control over.

Right now, it's a mad house tidy, intense lawn mowing and a plastic "welcome-to-our-beautiful-home-fake-smile" for viewers (if there are any)...

No-one ever said it was going to be easy

Last edited by Funky Florist; Mar 17th 2011 at 9:45 am. Reason: Can't type for toffee
Old Mar 17th 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Can't help but mention the old chestnut 'that your house is only worth what someone will pay for it.' The market is slow, the economy is slow and jobs are being lost.

It's only natural that people will want to seek out maximum value out of anything they sell, but if you're not getting any interest, then your price is too high. If you've bought in the last few years, then I can understand why you might want to hold out, but houses in the UK have increased by about 160% since 1997, so if you bought a house for 100k back then, it's market value will be around 260k. Even if you reduce 10 or 20% to get a sale you still will be walking away with a very good profit.

IMO, the only thing holding up current asking values in the UK is the low interest rates (although lending criteria have become more strict). People don't have to sell, so they are holding out for top dollar. Unfortunately, it sounds like the long awaited inflationary pressures are arriving, i.e. inflation in food, oil and other commodities is going up rapidly, if interest rates go up in the UK, then the housing market is only going one way and rapidly. It's no wonder that the buyers are looking to secure discounts.

Just my 2 cents, but look at what house sale prices are in reality rather than asking prices. Asking prices are meaningless, if you can't sell.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 6:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

When I sold my house in the UK in 2001 the estate agent sent many people round who were not qualified to purchase it (financing) just to get bums through the door. They also had it listed on their books as a 3 bedroom when it was a 4. I "pretended" to be an prospective purchaser for the area and asked what was available with 4 bedrooms - and mine was not mentioned! Needless to say a somewhat heated conversation ensued.

My final displeasure with Estate Agents came when I was offered a price 8.5k below the asking price which I was loath to accept. The EA assured me that prices were about to drop drastically and I should accept it before they did. I asked a couple of other EA's what their opinion was on this, and they concurred. (I realise they don't have crystal balls but really they should have had some idea!).

One year on the purchasers sold my house at a profit of £75,000. A year or so after that the house was sold again for another profit.

I sold my beautiful 4 bedroom, 3 reception edwardian home for £91,000 - the last time it was sold (in 2005) it went for over £200,000. Needless to say the price increased up until last year.

I wish I had kept it and rented it out!

My previous house was on the market for 2 years with an EA before it was sold - £8k under the price I bought it for. It subsequently sold for double.

I don't trust Estate Agents anymore

Good luck to all who are selling - it's not easy.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:51 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Asking prices are meaningless, if you can't sell.
If a house isn't selling then it's the price that is the problem. No exceptions to that really.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

If I was looking to buy a house in the UK right now, I'd look at stuff above my price range and be making offers at least 10% below the asking price. I might even be more cheeky, depending ....

I think the issue is not wholly your asking prices, but simply the lack of buyers with the ability to obtain or pay a mortgage. And if there are no first-time buyers then whole chains grind to a halt. And if a cash buyer comes along with a potentially cheeky offer, take a deep breath and just work out how much another 12 months of mortgage payments would cost you.

While interest rates are still low, and people can afford their monthly payments, sellers will hang on for what they want. If/when those interest rates go up, I suspect we'll see people needing to sell.

Having said all that, the next official figures out will probably show a minimum of 30,000 houses being sold in the UK in the last quarter, so someone out there is buying.

And if I was selling in Canada right now, much the same applies. I may already have lost $50k on what I paid nearly four years ago, and I'd want to slap anyone that offered a cheeky price.

So whichever side of the pond you are at and in whichever direction you are moving, it's a similar picture. In 2007, we managed to sell at the height of the market, and unfortunately also paid at the height of the market here. Nowadays, we would lose out here, but prices would/should be lower in the UK.

I suspect the exchange rate makes the biggest difference, rather than an extra $20k above or below your expectations on house prices.

You just have to work out what you can actually really afford to take/pay. Anything else is a wish list.

Very frustrating times - good luck to everyone.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Hi Robin,
put our house on end of sept, Oct somebody wanted it but was then was refused a mortgage, took it off the market for Dec (we all had flu) On the first day back to work in jan had 3 viewings 2 offers one sold one on the market, actually got just below asking price, couldn't believe it. completion date the
11 March signed contracts. Two weeks ago there buyer pulled out now back on market. We have two people wanting to buy but cannot sell there house. We haven't dropped the price and I would say we are slightly higher than we should be but its an unusual house a little quirky. We do have a great location with fantastic rural views. I have put a link in if any wants to be nosey. We are in devon.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31014203.html

Just a note one thing I always do when selling is buy fresh flowers not sure if it makes a difference but I think it looks nice.
Also I am very superstitious I always have red at my door to bring in good luck (plants)
I always have a really clear house sign so that good luck can find me.
Probably dosent work but I do them anyway as I feel it can't harm.
Good luck to you all.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
Hi Robin,
put our house on end of sept, Oct somebody wanted it but was then was refused a mortgage, took it off the market for Dec (we all had flu) On the first day back to work in jan had 3 viewings 2 offers one sold one on the market, actually got just below asking price, couldn't believe it. completion date the
11 March signed contracts. Two weeks ago there buyer pulled out now back on market. We have two people wanting to buy but cannot sell there house. We haven't dropped the price and I would say we are slightly higher than we should be but its an unusual house a little quirky. We do have a great location with fantastic rural views. I have put a link in if any wants to be nosey. We are in devon.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31014203.html

Just a note one thing I always do when selling is buy fresh flowers not sure if it makes a difference but I think it looks nice.
Also I am very superstitious I always have red at my door to bring in good luck (plants)
I always have a really clear house sign so that good luck can find me.
Probably dosent work but I do them anyway as I feel it can't harm.
Good luck to you all.
Aaah hello Sandra, I would call but need you to pm me your number.....then we can catch up on your new plans as well as ours.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just sold ours, due to exchange next week - was on the market for 10 days, 6 viewings (plus 2 second viewings), and sold for £10k below asking price.

Good luck to everybody selling.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
One year on the purchasers sold my house at a profit of £75,000. A year or so after that the house was sold again for another profit.

I sold my beautiful 4 bedroom, 3 reception edwardian home for £91,000 - the last time it was sold (in 2005) it went for over £200,000. Needless to say the price increased up until last year.
I thought UK house prices have been falling since 2008.

It may not be worth GBP200,000 now. The other thing that people forget when comparing sales on the same house over time, that part of the increase in price may reflect improvements to the property so it's isn't necessarily all profit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.