Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Selling House Privately?

Selling House Privately?

Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Selling House Privately?

Originally Posted by Alison33
Hi Kitty
I haven't checked out that site yet. All sounds good your end. Let us know how it's going and whether you get any agro from your agent. BTW at what point are your supposed to instruct a solicitor and what questions did you ask the viewers? I guess the main one is whether they have sold their home and whether they have a mortgage arranged.

Good Luck for tomorrow.
well fortunately he doesnt have a mortgage or a house to sell. he has the cash to buy.

im just going to tell the agent we have sold it privately and ask them to put things on hold. and ill start to instruct a solicitor tomorrow now he has made an offer.

i dont think the agenr can say anything as we have no contract. just an agreement if they sell for me i will pay them. but they havnt so i wont.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:19 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

If you are going to sell privately, as well as going with an internet company, don't forget to advertise in the local paper on the same night when all other house listings are on. Anyone looking for a house will be looking. Yes it will cost you a few hundred for a photo and description, but if you are saving 5000 then it is worth it. You could also put in 'open house this weekend and give times 2-4' and just let all the noisey neighbours in. Nosey neighbours can have friends and relatives who may be interested, don't be horrible to them at the moment.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Adbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant future

Hiya,

Slightly different system as I am in Scotland but we sold both our previous houses without an estate agent.

Put a notice in the window, printed out schedules to give people with rooms sizes/photo's etc.

At the bottom of the schedule was our solicitors details stating that all formal offers should go through them.

Last house we had a knock on the door 45 mins after putting the sign in the window !

Not sure what to do this time as we have a bigger house therefore smaller market to aim at

hth

Adbru
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kitty
I haven't checked out that site yet. All sounds good your end. Let us know how it's going and whether you get any agro from your agent. BTW at what point are your supposed to instruct a solicitor and what questions did you ask the viewers? I guess the main one is whether they have sold their home and whether they have a mortgage arranged.

Good Luck for tomorrow.
Hi Alison

am well the expert with viewers

These are the things I always try and find out :

1. Do they have a family - then you can aim your rooms at what suits their family needs.

2. What is there position ? Sold, Cash, On Market etc

3. I tell them that my property is going to be available from early August - as we are moving out of the area and want the kids settled before school starts.

4. Where are they now ? Use this to be able to play your area off against where they are now - if they live on a main road explain how your property differs and how.

I remember early on in trying to sell this house I used to get really bothered that peeps wanted to do stuff to the house - but over the last 5 months have discovered that this can now be used as a good selling technique. For example I have a large 3rd Bed and a 4th bedroom that isnt a box room but would do for a toddler (it fits in a single bed and a wardrobe ) and it is the extended part of my house - one of my previous viewers had a 20 year old son who really liked his own space and her idea was to put a door in place at the begining of where the extension begins and as the walls are studded knock it into one room and then convert it into a whole suite for him with an ensuite.

I also used this example to the last couple as well but pointed out that she could just make it into one huge room for her 2 boys therefore leaving the 2nd bedroom for her toddler.

Ok some people might not be able to afford to do that but it does give them an insight into what can be done in years to come and therefore becomes a selling point if you see my drift.

Hope I have given you some ideas

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot something

Similarly, if you have a house that has been knocked thru into a more open space - explain how easy it would be to recreate the old layout. Have used that one too.

If fact the two scenarios I have pointed out have been used to the two ladies that have made offers on here - although at the moment they are unable to proceed due to incomplete chains below them.

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi Alison

am well the expert with viewers

These are the things I always try and find out :

1. Do they have a family - then you can aim your rooms at what suits their family needs.

2. What is there position ? Sold, Cash, On Market etc

3. I tell them that my property is going to be available from early August - as we are moving out of the area and want the kids settled before school starts.

4. Where are they now ? Use this to be able to play your area off against where they are now - if they live on a main road explain how your property differs and how.

Gaynor
x
Thanks for the above advise. As I'm a first timer (private selling) need all the advise I can get.

Would you happen to know how a chain their end complicates matters from the point of view of selling privately as, agents seem to know who in chain is doing what.

Thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the above advise. As I'm a first timer (private selling) need all the advise I can get.

Would you happen to know how a chain their end complicates matters from the point of view of selling privately as, agents seem to know who in chain is doing what.

Thanks
Would think that you would have to rely on your buyer to chase up the chain beneath her - as you being a private seller would have no legal entitlement to be given information about it. Would think that it is covered by the Data Protection Act.

The problem that I see there is that you are reliant on them getting the info - whether your solicitor could chase the chain I have no idea - and if they dont want to lose your house they could feed you a cock and bull story to drag things out etc.

The offer I received last Friday - was told by the agent that the lady was in the position to proceed and then when I asked them to check it out etc I found out that although I (as No 3) had an offer and No 2 had an offer No 1 in the chain hadnt been sold and didnt even have an offer on it.

All in all I think that you would have to be on the ball to keep tracks of your sale if you go private.

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by burton bunch

The offer I received last Friday - was told by the agent that the lady was in the position to proceed and then when I asked them to check it out etc I found out that although I (as No 3) had an offer and No 2 had an offer No 1 in the chain hadnt been sold and didnt even have an offer on it.

All in all I think that you would have to be on the ball to keep tracks of your sale if you go private.

Gaynor
x
All very true. Guess I may have my work cut out for me. Can feel my stress levels rising even further.

My application was according to CHC to be processed on or around 4th June. Heard of folk talking about doing to Visa/PR dance anyone for a med request dance? Like Cheeky_Monkey's situation I too am reaching the end of my rope Weird, cos some applications get med requested about two weeks later. Who know's how the system there works - got me all confused. My canadian grandfather died one year ago and on his death bed said he would be looking out for us. I'm pretty sure he's putting these hurdles in front on us to stall for a reason.

My youngest son had sec. school induction today although hope that I never have to buy all that new uniform for Sept (now that would be a real waste of money). Fingers and toes crossed eh!.