Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

security guard lisence Saskatchewan

security guard lisence Saskatchewan

Old May 9th 2015, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

bigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond repute
Default security guard lisence Saskatchewan

hi guy , just looking some information i have an irish pasport and am long haul trucker but i have some security experiance .I am in the process of obtaing my 2 year working holiday visa which i am told gives me a 2 year open work visa .In canada I might fancy a change in work or maby some work to tide me over untill i get a trucking job or i may stick to security .

my question really is . As a non canadian on a 2 year open work visa can i apply for and aquire a security guard license in canada namely Saskatchewan any information and pointers are welcomed .
Old May 9th 2015, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: security guard lisence Saskatchewan

You probably can. But the time and money for the course, and background check and whatever the fee to apply is, may not be worth it.

Security Guards don't have super pay generally, and if the info I can find is correct, a course is required before applying for the license.
Old May 9th 2015, 10:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a security guard all it took was the background check and that didn't cost me anything. As jsmith says it doesn't pay well but if you have a first aid certificate that can be worth more money.
Even though I did well and caught more vandals and ne'er do wells than anyone else I look back on that time as a low point in my life. If you have any sort of military background the Corps of Commissionaires has a bit better pay and some minimal benefits.
Old May 9th 2015, 11:08 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Saskatchewan Security Guard Licensing - Guard Training - Professional Online Security Guard Training - www.guardtraining.ca

Private Investigators and Security Guards - Ministry of Justice - Government of Saskatchewan
Old May 9th 2015, 11:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Yep things have changed a bit, I had my background check and got my license and was working within a week and there was no course at all back then; it was all inservice from the men who were senior in the locations our company contracted with. In both the hotel and the hospital the hourly rounds had time stations where we turned a key in clock recorders we carried and night shift in the hotel required recording boiler pressure and temperatures and in the hospital after office hours they required us to assume the duty of the morgue attendent. After one incident in the hospital which I'd rather not go into this close to supper time I asked not to be sent to the hospital again and after a disagreement with the owner of the hotel over his ethics I was out of the business. I did get really good at hunting down the guys breaking into and stealing cars in the parkade though, it was like a game to me but I didn't think the fighting was worth just a little over minimum wage.
Old May 10th 2015, 12:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Yep things have changed a bit, I had my background check and got my license and was working within a week and there was no course at all back then; it was all inservice from the men who were senior in the locations our company contracted with. In both the hotel and the hospital the hourly rounds had time stations where we turned a key in clock recorders we carried and night shift in the hotel required recording boiler pressure and temperatures and in the hospital after office hours they required us to assume the duty of the morgue attendent. After one incident in the hospital which I'd rather not go into this close to supper time I asked not to be sent to the hospital again and after a disagreement with the owner of the hotel over his ethics I was out of the business. I did get really good at hunting down the guys breaking into and stealing cars in the parkade though, it was like a game to me but I didn't think the fighting was worth just a little over minimum wage.

I did security once in a hotel in California, worked directly for the hotel, and while pay was same as any other hotel job, the lack of anything to do was boring. Had some excitement from time to time, but overall I sat bored.

Some odd reason didn't give us much to do, highlight of the night was delivering the express check outs to the rooms.

I got that job right after I been hired for a security company who was paying 8.00/hr (in California several years back now) and wanted to send me into some sketchy area's, so I chose the hotel.

Training required for the license was a joke, online so I just played the videos and left them on while I did other stuff, still passed the test with 90% without studying anything, the whole test was common sense.

The hotel security job didn't require licensing so I was glad, I didn't waste 40 hours on the videos.
Old May 10th 2015, 12:37 am
Stand-up Philosopher

The hotel I worked at was a large one with 2 bars plus the parkade so it wasn't too boring; the hospital was boring except for weekend drunks in Emergency but Iuckily I didn't usually have to work there weekends.

Last edited by caretaker; May 10th 2015 at 12:42 am. Reason: I can't remember how much I made but it wasn't much.
Old May 10th 2015, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

palmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to behold

I thought that in bc you had to be a permanent resident to become licensed as a security guard, I oviously have no idea about saskatchewan but it would be something to check just in case