Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Security Clearance for jobs in Ottawa

Security Clearance for jobs in Ottawa

Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

thefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to all
Default Security Clearance for jobs in Ottawa

Hi

As we are due to move in February my oh is looking for work now as a Web Developer in Ottawa. There seems to be loads advertised, mainly through agencies and a lot of them call for enhanced or basic security clearance so we assume they are government positions.

We are just wondering if anyone knows how to get this, how long it takes and whether he could apply now so he has it ready for when we move.

I would think that after the years it has taken to get our PR and the background checks that were carried out that it would be a simple short process, but am guessing that I am wrong!

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Melanie
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:15 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Security Clearance for jobs in Ottawa

Originally Posted by thefinneys
Hi

As we are due to move in February my oh is looking for work now as a Web Developer in Ottawa. There seems to be loads advertised, mainly through agencies and a lot of them call for enhanced or basic security clearance so we assume they are government positions.

We are just wondering if anyone knows how to get this, how long it takes and whether he could apply now so he has it ready for when we move.

I would think that after the years it has taken to get our PR and the background checks that were carried out that it would be a simple short process, but am guessing that I am wrong!

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Melanie
Don't you normally need citizenship for government jobs ? Perhaps someone will be along shortly to advise you.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

thefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to all

I don't think so. All of the jobs state that you must have pr status and security clearance. Yes hopefully someone else can help.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:36 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so. All of the jobs state that you must have pr status and security clearance. Yes hopefully someone else can help.
Then you know more than I.

Here's a form, there may be others http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/tbsf-fsct/dwnld/330-60-eng.pdf

Last edited by Tangram; Dec 1st 2008 at 3:39 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:00 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

The job ads state PR as a requirement. That's a minimum. A PR will never get a government job if citizens with similar qualifications are in the competition.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

My secret clearance took six months; however, it's limited to secret information that's not 'for Canadian eyes only', and I'd suspect that you'd come across much more of that in government jobs than I would here.

The real question is if when they say security clearance is required they mean that you already need a security clearance, which you'll only have if you currently work in a job where the employer sponsored you for it. If the company aren't willing to go through that process, then you're still stuck.