Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Secondary Schools for Bright Kids?

Secondary Schools for Bright Kids?

Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Default Secondary Schools for Bright Kids?

Hi there

Just wondered if there are such things as grammar schools or schools for intelligent gifted kids like where kids here go if they pass the 11+?

If so do you have to pay fees like private schools here or is it 'state funded'?

Any advice welcome.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:47 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secondary Schools for Bright Kids?

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
Hi there

Just wondered if there are such things as grammar schools or schools for intelligent gifted kids like where kids here go if they pass the 11+?

If so do you have to pay fees like private schools here or is it 'state funded'?

Any advice welcome.
Could be an idea if you narrowed this down to provinces?
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:06 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Any advice welcome.
In BC it would be prudent to consider paying for your average kids education, let alone the gifted ones.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

2 of my children went to very good grammar schools. I went to University and got a Degree. My eldest is heading to Western on a course she wanted. We are fully immersed in the education system having been through it in the UK.

My two younger ones are old enough, 15 and 17 to know the difference. They both know that school education is what you make of it. Not what is necessarily the opinion of the parent. We just listen and make sure they (my children) and the school are doing the best they can. They will enter Canadian society with 'Canadian' education at some level, The Graduation. They (the 2 younger ones) see major drawbacks in where they come from and big advantages of what is now on offer. Life, education, qualifications, money, and all that goes with it is a matter of balance. Life is a balance. If you are not getting what you want or what you expect you will see everything as negative. If you enter Canadian education the logical step is to take a profession or role in Canadian society and therefore any level of education in canada will help that easement. If you want to work in Europe, or America, or Australia the easiest way to to be part of that countries education system and eventual extension of thus.

Personal views are irrelevant though to some extent as after all - are all Canadians stupid, backward and ingnorant of the higher thinking elements of intellectualism. I would say not.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 11:23 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Any advice welcome.
Gifted? Jeez, I went to grammar school, but gifted is the last word I would use to describe myself!!

I imagine Canadian kids are much like kids the world over - bright - willing - could try harder - and couldn't give a sh*t!!
Old Jun 10th 2006, 3:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
2 of my children went to very good grammar schools. I went to University and got a Degree. My eldest is heading to Western on a course she wanted. We are fully immersed in the education system having been through it in the UK.

My two younger ones are old enough, 15 and 17 to know the difference. They both know that school education is what you make of it. Not what is necessarily the opinion of the parent. We just listen and make sure they (my children) and the school are doing the best they can. They will enter Canadian society with 'Canadian' education at some level, The Graduation. They (the 2 younger ones) see major drawbacks in where they come from and big advantages of what is now on offer. Life, education, qualifications, money, and all that goes with it is a matter of balance. Life is a balance. If you are not getting what you want or what you expect you will see everything as negative. If you enter Canadian education the logical step is to take a profession or role in Canadian society and therefore any level of education in canada will help that easement. If you want to work in Europe, or America, or Australia the easiest way to to be part of that countries education system and eventual extension of thus.

Personal views are irrelevant though to some extent as after all - are all Canadians stupid, backward and ingnorant of the higher thinking elements of intellectualism. I would say not.

That is the most incoherent post I've ever come across on this board. Which is saying something considering what I have contributed.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 4:56 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry too much about advanced education...I meet kids with diplomas and degrees coming outta their ass and they couldn't tell which end of a wrench is which, their literary and articulation skills are the mouldy underwear of tomorrow, and they're totally unprepared for life in the throbbing cut and thrust of the business world.

And...you want this for your kids ?

The school of hard knocks and a degree in common sense are both under rated, even in Canada.

Rich.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 5:18 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Any advice welcome.
Advice on what exactly?

Ordinary kids that can pass 11+, get the same as those who can't. whatever their parents can afford.

Geniuses that pass the 11+ at 2 get scholarships and help.

My advice - learn to ask questions that aren't so general that they are meaningless.

-----------------------------

PS. I passed the 11+ at 9 turned down grammer because of the Uniform. Really great parents let me.

Morally of the story
PARENTS BE "BLOODY PARENTS" AND MAKE THE DECISIONS EVEN WHEN THE KIDS DON"T LIKE IT.

pps nothing is "state" funded its ALL TAXPAYER FUNDED ie you.

Last edited by Grah; Jun 10th 2006 at 5:33 am.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 5:23 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That is the most incoherent post I've ever come across on this board. Which is saying something considering what I have contributed.
LOL
Yeah I reckon that beats some of mine!!!!
Old Jun 10th 2006, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of

God excuse me for being so stupid obviously..........

Forget it then.............

Couldn't care less what you lot think

Goodbye!
Old Jun 10th 2006, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of

God excuse me for being so stupid obviously..........

Forget it then.............

Couldn't care less what you lot think

Goodbye!

no need to be rude , what do you class as gifted !!!!!! my son is 15 , express groups for all subjects , already sat 3 gcse's , all a* in course work , only goes to a state school !!!! is not classed as gifted , he is a pain in the **** at school but he has the ability to absorb information.

perhaps he would be gifted if he was a quiet student no hope ,

you must explain yourself more
Old Jun 10th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

This means we are in the education system. Not just saying it - backing it up with facts

My two younger ones are old enough, 15 and 17 to know the difference.

This outlines ages of those at school

They both know that school education is what you make of it.

Not sure if you need this bit explaining?

Not what is necessarily the opinion of the parent.

Relates to the bit about the 'differences' See above.

We just listen and make sure they (my children) and the school are doing the best they can.

We (Parents) - is the rest OK for you?

They will enter Canadian society with 'Canadian' education at some level, The Graduation.

This is miising a word....should say 'after The Graduation. But an idiot could work that out

They (the 2 younger ones) see major drawbacks in where they come from and big advantages of what is now on offer.

This means our Kids see that things back home had issues in school, and they can see better things where they are. If you need more in-depth explanation look elsewhere.

Life, education, qualifications, money, and all that goes with it is a matter of balance. Life is a balance.

You should be able to get this without explanation.

If you are not getting what you want or what you expect you will see everything as negative.

If life isn't going your way you just moan. (This is the cut down version)

If you enter Canadian education the logical step is to take a profession or role in Canadian society and therefore any level of education in canada will help that easement.

If you have a Canadian education the best way to get a job is in CANADA.

If you want to work in Europe, or America, or Australia the easiest way to to be part of that countries education system and eventual extension of thus.

If you want to work anywhere else get some education from that country - at what ever level.

This is rhetorical.

I decided not to break it down into word meanings as I guess you covered basic English at some point.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about you, but I feel that the sniping that happens on here is uncalled for. Yes, sometimes the way a post is worded is vague or jumbled but there is no need to insult others.

I know for a fact that some people refuse to post on here because of the pettiness.

Take a chill pill and have a
Old Jun 10th 2006, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

suebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to all
Smile Re: Secondary Schools for Bright Kids?

Hi there

Any advice welcome.

Education in Canada is a provincial thing so you need to specify what province you're talking about when you ask a question like this.

But generally - there are no grammar schools in Canada. Some schools in some areas have programs for the gifted pupils. The secondary school my son will be going to has an enriched program for the academic high flyers in Math, English & Science. The elementary school my other children will be going to has a gifted program for the brightest 4 or 5 kids in each class.

There are private schools in Canada where you pay enormous fees if you feel the benefits are worth it.

Consensus on this forum is that UK & Canadian education are different but similar! Ask me again in a year's time and I can be more specific.

Don't let other people's sniping get to you.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 3:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL

I decided not to break it down into word meanings as I guess you covered basic English at some point.
Yes. I did. Let's see how you do.

2 of my children went to very good grammar schools. I went to University and got a Degree. Wrong use of capitals. My eldest is heading to Western on a course she wanted. Course of action or course of study? We are fully immersed in the education system having been through it in the UK. Can you be immersed in something you've been through in another country, in the past?

My two younger ones are old enough, 15 and 17 to know the difference. Difference between what?...so far not alluded to, let alone defined. They both know that school education is what you make of it.platitude, unconnected to prior content or to the original question Not what is necessarily the opinion of the parent.Not a sentence, also unconnected to previous content We just listen and make sure they (my children) and the school are doing the best they can. They will enter Canadian society with 'Canadian' education at some level, The Graduation. Either tautology or just not worth typing They (the 2 younger ones) see major drawbacks in where they come from and big advantages of what is now on offer.Perhaps you mean major drawbacks in their country of origin compared to their present country's education system? Life, education, qualifications, money, and all that goes with it is a matter of balance. Life is a balance. Sorry, no suggestion on the that. Platitude again? If you are not getting what you want or what you expect you will see everything as negative. You do remember the subject of this thread, don't you? If you enter Canadian education the logical step is to take a profession or role in Canadian society D'uh and therefore any level of education in canada will help that easement. Wrong use of vocabulary If you want to work in Europe, or America, or Australia the easiest way to to be part of that countries apostrophe, please, not to mention spelling education system and eventual extension of thus. I'll charitably assume that thus is a typo, but given what has gone before, there may be a deeper meaning. Who knows?

Personal views are irrelevant though to some extent as after all - are all Canadians stupid, A question mark would make all the difference around here someplace backward and ingnorant Spelling... of the higher thinking elements of intellectualism. I would say not. I would say you did very well to say not. That indeed might have sufficed

Chill pill, down the hatch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.