Reload this Page >

Second Class Citizen

Second Class Citizen

Old Sep 5th 2019, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

AMB1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by alwaysbusy
Hi Caretaker. Please don't get me wrong - I may well have expressed myself poorly - it's not that I don't like Canada (far from it) it's just that I have become increasingly aware at work that I am not treated equally with my peers and when I have discussed this with other immigrants in various different professions I have heard similar feelings expressed. I hesitantly started this post as I had wondered whether or not people were just saying to me what they thought I wanted to hear. As you say it could be me, it could be the work environment I am in, it could be the geographic location or any number of other factors but the bottom line is that I can't help but feel that no matter what I do I will never be viewed on quite the same level as someone born here. I'm not saying it would necessarily be better anywhere else or even that I am wanting to relocate but it was an unexpected disappointment when I realized that there was a glass ceiling above me that I had not anticipated.

Its an interesting situation for sure and has been the discussion in my house for the last couple of weeks (with my Canadian partner) I came to Canada 12 years ago and was hired specifically by a small municipality for my exeriance in Healthcare, then again about 6 years ago i moved again and was hired for my specific qualifications in a very diverse form healthcare, Albeit now for the Provinicial healthcare system, increasingly i had noted recently my exasperation at having being told to take more training locally to make me more suitable for the removal of the Glass ceiling you so acuratly describe, and all the while having my knowledge and expertise visibly Plagiarised, usually for the greater good of the organisation,

I find myself falling out of love with Canada, for a lot of the reasons mentioned above by other posters , and have tried earnestly to learn more about the history and politics in order to be able to understand why this situation exists,

I wonder if it is because the both of us may have come from much larger healthcare organisations that are now too often being plagiarised by Canada's Healthcare systems, that our value is somehow seen as a threat, instead of what it should be.

Old Sep 6th 2019, 4:09 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i have never felt like a second class citizen here..in fact me being English for me seems to be an advantage..i work in senior management position...when i talk or give a presentation or am part of a meeting..people listen..now this could be because of my position..but i find it is also because im English..i have been told i have a "hardcore' accent but also that i speak much more eloquently that most Canadians ."so this guy obviously knows what he is talking about" when in reality i know the same as my Canadian counterparts but put it across in a different manner...i also find a lot of Canadians feel a little bit intimidated by me..not in a bad way..but they give me far too much respect when in reality i'm just an average Joe.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sun burnt in aus

How you begin your journey can really set a tone that is very difficult to alter once it sets in in your mind. If you have determined to stay, then you really need to work hard on changing your thought patterns. Shut out the negative thoughts and focus on finding and seeing the positive in your situation and the people around you. It could take a few months of very hard work but it will actually start to alter your thinking if you do and you might find you actually like where you are - YMMV.
This bit is very true. We moved here more on an emotional whim rather than as a considered move and, when I finally got here, I did not want to be here. Mainly, that was down to how brilliantly my career had started panning out in the UK. So one definitely needs an analysis of why the move, why the place moved to, pros, cons, a timeline established for certain criteria to be met after which you pull the plug etc.

Myself, I have never struggled for work here, but struggled with the idea of spending years getting back to what I left. So, in June, I handed in my resignation with the intent of taking the summer / autumn off and do some of that work about analysing what I want, what my wife wants, the good and the bad of being here vs a move elsewhere or even back to the UK. I have gotten myself very fit (5k runs three times a week - now sporting a nice tan as well) and got involved in a few more community things and events. We went to a sit down meal thrown by one of the farms in the Valley and ended up having some great conversations. The penny suddenly dropped on something I knew, but didn't accept, and that is the importance of relationships here. Rather, therefore, than wanting out of here, I am now turning my thoughts to a plan on how I can make it work here because I now believe I can. May have to take a detour back into retail banking (ugh) but I can now see a way forwrd here. The big question is whether or not I am prepared to put that time in. To be determined...

I will grant you not many people can take time off to do this sort of thing and, of course, it can only be for so long, but it may be a less expensive step than simply moving again.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses

In my experience, the more a country harps on about being tolerant the further from the truth that is.

Think that is true, but also true of people, businesses etc. The more you need to harp on about a characteristic, the more (my opinion) you are trying to create a narrative for yourself. I do find that the "tolerant people" are prepared to tolerate things on your behalf but when something washes up on their front porch, they are as selfish as anyone.

It is the same as this nonsense that Canadians are super polite because they say "sorry" all the time. Meaningless, because it is almost an instinctual grunt when something happens, like they have tried walking through you and found that, indeed, two humans cannot occupy the same physical space. Then you get "soarry" when the truly polite thing to do would have been to try and meet the other person half way and slightly alter the direction you are taking. The true characteristics then come out when you put them behind the wheel of a car!!!!
Old Sep 10th 2019, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

whytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond reputewhytrigg has a reputation beyond repute

My family and I have been here 3 years this month (citizenship time, oh yeah!). We had a leaving party in the UK when we left, we catered for about 50 or so but over 200 people came along, it was very moving and my wife and I were convinced that we could never amass that amount of friendship without the opportunities you have when you are younger, such as school, sports etc.

We are both positive people, and I agree with other commenters on here that Canadians are just the same as anyone else you will meet, if you drone on about the differences in the culture, focusing on the negatives or things you miss, then you will naturally repel friends, neighbours and employers while continually reinforcing that negative mindset yourself.

We personally love Canada, and that's my narrative, Canadians are flattered by it and I think they naturally want to be around me because that narrative makes them feel better about themselves. With that comes friendship and opportunities.

I think in our short 3 years here, we probably have more friends than we did in the UK and now our biggest headache is trying to make time for them all.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whytrigg
We are both positive people, and I agree with other commenters on here that Canadians are just the same as anyone else you will meet, if you drone on about the differences in the culture, focusing on the negatives or things you miss, then you will naturally repel friends, neighbours and employers while continually reinforcing that negative mindset yourself.
This reminds me of the old but true saying about white privilege, if you haven't noticed it that's because you're experiencing it.

As Millie and others have said, you can be the most Mary Poppins character out there but you're plain foolish if you think cheeriness is going to go anyway to combat set in bigotry and hatred. Its also very unhelpful to tell others who are struggling that they just need to be more positive, its victim blaming and gaslighting.
Not just that, but as has been noted in several recent studies about Canada's racism and xenophobia problems, the refusal to believe it actually is a problem and isn't the attitudes of the victims is one of the greatest roadblocks to actually fixing the problem.

I was a ray of eternal sunshine when we first moved, and I thought we'd settled in well, made loads of friends, was a very active member of the community etc etc.
Then we found out I was seriously ill and that I needed a lot of surgery and treatment, which have left me with lifetime disabilities. Those same friends stand at BBQs and say to my face, in front of our kindergartner that I shouldn't have been treated as that money should have been spent on "real" Canadians instead. That it was a waste of money.
They say that knowing full well I would have died without treatment.

Come tell me again to be more positive when you're consoling your small child over the fact that your "friends" don't think mommy's life was worth the cost to save and that you should have been left to die instead. That they justify it by saying it "may sound harsh but its fair, you have to put Canadians first". When you tell them you are Canadian, they half smile and say " but you're not, not really are you?"

We didn't come to Canada from the UK, we left the UK many years ago and lived all over the world before we came to Canada. I've been very happy in several other countries, but then I was healthy then, so who knows whether they too would begrudge the cost?

Now, just so you know my soul isn't completely poisoned with bitterness (yet) we do have a few extremely good friends who are horrified at how our other "friends" feel. They are all First Nation, I can't help but wonder at the coincidence.

Old Sep 10th 2019, 4:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's more a reflection of the people you thought of as friends.... NOT Canadians per se ... perhaps stop tarring everyone with the same brush - they are all different... I've met many BRITS that were arseholes and told people to 'go back home' - 'go back to where you came from'... and every other comment that can be negative.. I've yet to hear that from a Canadian except for one or two who are anti 3rd world countries in general although they would never say something so cruel to their face.

After my life threatening episode (and subsequently) I couldn't have had more support from friends and people who I barely know. Not once did I receive a comment that the money spent would have been better spent on a Canadian.

Generalising doesn't help anyone.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 10th 2019 at 4:31 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, and the absolute kicker of it all is that when you do mention the problems you get told to move out of Canada if you don't like it.
Well I bl00dy well can't as I'm now medically inadmissible anywhere else. I'd never return to the UK, but I'd happily go back to Finland.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I think that's more a reflection of the people you thought of as friends.... NOT Canadians per se ... perhaps stop tarring everyone with the same brush - they are all different... I've met many BRITS that were arseholes and told people to 'go back home' - 'go back to where you came from'... and every other comment that can be negative.. I've yet to hear that from a Canadian except for one or two who are anti 3rd world countries in general although they would never say something so cruel to their face.

After my life threatening episode (and subsequently) I couldn't have had more support from friends and people who I barely know. Not once did I receive a comment that the money spent would have been better spent on a Canadian.

Generalising doesn't help anyone.
That's great Siouxie, I'm genuinely glad for you that you received the support.

The fact stands that Canada has a serious racism and discrimination problem, study after study has proven it, but still people trot out the old "but its not everyone". No, of course not, never have I said it was, but it is a big problem and refusing to see if doesn't help sort it.

​​​​Great that some people haven't experienced problems, but it doesn't erase the fact that a lot of people have experienced discrimination and do, every day. As was mentioned previously in this thread, its everyone's responsibility to challenge and combat discrimination, not just think " I'm alright Jack".

​​​​

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 10th 2019 at 6:27 pm. Reason: fixed quote
Old Sep 12th 2019, 5:03 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There are different forms of discrimination - many nothing to do with nationality..race, religion or colour.

Discrimination for disability, for instance... or because you don't have recent 'Canadian experience' ... or recent education.

I didn't say discrimination doesn't exist nor that I had not experienced it - I have experienced discrimination from Government Employees who are supposed to know better... they are aware of the laws.

I'm sorry but I disagree that there is a serious Racism issue in Canada - I've seen far worse racism in the UK... but again, it depends on the people you mix with I suppose. Yes of course there are a few people who are prejudiced about specific minority groups or against certain religions etc., but they are in the minority in my experience... and whilst they may be opinionated, they wouldn't deliberately offend someone because of their colour, ethnic background or religion.

I also believe that much of the time they have these thoughts because they have been fed such stupid information such as that immigrants / refugees get money from the government get whatever free.... but Canadians are living on the streets.. Many of them believe what they are told.. without looking into it deeper.. and then of course the misinformation continues and expands exponentially.

I've heard those stories from people who should know better.. and always suggest they research and determine what is truth and what is fable. My answer when I do hear something that could be construed as discrimination is to tell them that we are all immigrants here.. just some have been here longer than others.. and to be tolerant.. and I remind them that I'm sure their families probably had to put up with comments and slurs about them when they arrived x generations ago. Much of it is due to the way they were raised by the previous generation and the prejudices they exhibited or experienced.

When I lived in Hong Kong I saw that first hand - neighbour's children who had happily played together with children of other nationalities being told by the parents (British) not to play with those 'dirty' xyz's.. and the subsequent loss of interaction between the children and the name calling that followed - all due to the parents prejudices.

We are all influenced by our personal experiences and some have probably experienced it more than others... and may have been affected by their experiences to the detriment of their general opinion of xyz nationality.. but for every person who is ill informed and has prejudices, there is another who welcomes with open arms and tries to encourage tolerance and integration and acceptance.

Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We have been so bloomin' lucky in finding our place in the world here in Canada. We have not experienced discrimination ourselves, nor has our daughter, but that is not to say that I do not know that it and racism, sexism, etc all exist or that others have experienced it. However, the only time I've heard about anything bad towards Brits was from the Australians who used to talk about "bl***y Poms", and say "Go back home if it's so bad here".

One story that we were told several years ago did astonish us both.

We know there is a lot of racism against First Nations, most of it by hearsay and in the media and directly from First Nation leaders. We really ran up against that kind of racism when we had our cabin further north in BC ................ most people were fine but there was a small community of red necks who had nothing good to say about any of the First Nations in the area. Any crime "must" have been committed by them. We saw and heard many examples of it on the streets and in the businesses around.

A close friend of ours, white Canadian-born male, taught at an elementary school on one of the near-by reserves. He was a true "gentle giant" and loved children. He worried about those children all the time, and took every opportunity to be with them during school .......... he was not allowed to live on the reserve of course. One day he was sitting with a small group during the lunch break when the children started with racist comments about the WHITE people in the area. He listened for a while, realised they were repeating what their parents said at home, and gently said "But I am white".

The response was " You're not white, Mr xxxxxx. You're our teacher" !!!!

So knowing a person changed their opinion of him .............. in liking him, they did not classify him as white because he was always nice to them.

Raindrops ................. I am so very sorry to hear that you had that experience from your friends, but truly, I think that you should stop calling them "friends" right now. You are very bitter about them, and that is quite understandable ........... but please try to let it go, and don't tar all Canadians with those horrible feelings.

True friends would not say that to you.

True friends turn up and help you, provide food, ask what they can do for you, when bad times hit. We and other members of our extended family have experienced that here in BC, and so has our daughter in NS.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but I disagree that there is a serious Racism issue in Canada -
I think there's institutionalised racism against native Canadians. I understand that some bands, especially in BC, have been financially savvy and are now politically powerful. I also accept that the native Canadians do not help themselves very much. Nonetheless, aboriginal people generally live more poorly than the rest of the population and suffer unfair treatment under the criminal justice system. I don't think there's a similarly disadvantaged group in the UK, gypsies maybe.

Otherwise, in southern Ontario, no, there's lots of imported racism. People from Israel may not be keen on Palestinians, Greeks/Turks, Russians/Ukrainians and so on but there's no general discrimination against anyone except native people.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 1:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think there's institutionalised racism against native Canadians. I understand that some bands, especially in BC, have been financially savvy and are now politically powerful. I also accept that the native Canadians do not help themselves very much. Nonetheless, aboriginal people generally live more poorly than the rest of the population and suffer unfair treatment under the criminal justice system. I don't think there's a similarly disadvantaged group in the UK, gypsies maybe.

Otherwise, in southern Ontario, no, there's lots of imported racism. People from Israel may not be keen on Palestinians, Greeks/Turks, Russians/Ukrainians and so on but there's no general discrimination against anyone except native people.
Yes absolutely there is an ingrained prejudice against Native Americans by some.. but I thought this thread was about immigrants feeling as though they are 2nd class citizens and treated unfairly by Canadians - rather than the injustices against the 6 Nations (which I abhor)

Old Sep 13th 2019, 2:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this thread was about immigrants feeling as though they are 2nd class citizens and treated unfairly by Canadians(
Yes, OK. I'm not really exposed to Canadians so don't know about that.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

the employees at this store might have felt 2nd class when being yelled at.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...aby-drug-store

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.