Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Second Class Citizen

Second Class Citizen

Old Jun 28th 2019, 1:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Class Citizen

Originally Posted by alwaysbusy
Hi Caretaker. Please don't get me wrong - I may well have expressed myself poorly
Oh no, we're good. There have been numerous posts on BE mentioning a passive-aggressive nature they encounter here as well as some accusing Canadians of being facile and hard to make friends with, but I don't recall anyone before claiming that their accent triggers discrimination. If your ideas were no good they'd be able to point out why, so maybe they shut you down because they're afraid you're too good and a threat to their jobs. I'd like to think that your trouble is stemming from a toxic workplace and not indicative of the country as a whole, but as you've read, there are others here saying the same thing has happened to them, and some describing an even worse situation. If it was just you, your co-workers should have overwhelmed you with love and everything would be fine by now. Whether you decide to try working some place else or going back I hope you find a friendlier work environment.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

I've been thinking about my previous post and I do feel the need to mention that perhaps its a Maritime thing. I've met people from Manitoba who say they same thing about Nova Scotia and who've moved back.

We're moving to BC shortly so I guess I'll find out soon!

Back to NS, there was also a distinct and massive kick up in gear of the nastiness when we started doing well for ourselves, when we were struggling and even when things were more mainstream it was definitely lower key.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
I've been thinking about my previous post and I do feel the need to mention that perhaps its a Maritime thing. I've met people from Manitoba who say they same thing about Nova Scotia and who've moved back.

We're moving to BC shortly so I guess I'll find out soon!

Back to NS, there was also a distinct and massive kick up in gear of the nastiness when we started doing well for ourselves, when we were struggling and even when things were more mainstream it was definitely lower key.

This thread has been very much an eye-opener for me.

We've lived in BC since 1968 and I can quite honestly say that neither of us experienced any kind of discrimination at any point, either at work or in our other life. We've met only with pleasantness, acceptance, and acceptance of our ideas.

We lived in an apartment for almost 4 years, then bought a small house in a neighbourhood of mainly small houses. We were welcomed with open arms. Mind you, most of our neighbours were also immigrants, though not from the UK. Friends we made socially were the same, some UK immigrants, some from other lands, and some Canadian. Not a tweet or sign of discrimination.

We bought a cabin in a very rural area. No discrimination from anyone, and even the First Nations were welcoming even though they can be racist towards Canadians as ell other nationalities who the FN see as against them.

My sister-in-law moved to BC 2 years later and found a job in a small northern town. She received the same welcome as we had, welcomed and integrated into the society. She was a much loved teacher and then after re-training, a priest.

My daughter moved to NS, granted she married a Canadian, but she has never complained about any type of unhappiness, discrimination or unwelcome behavior. She had a major problem some years ago, and neighbours brouht food to the house for weeks until she was recovered, yes, Canadians.

I've literally never heard of anyone hitting this kind of behaviour that so many have talked about. I was particularly disturbed by your story. But I would be really surprised if you had a problem here.

Maybe it really does come down to the type of job that one does, or the threat that you appear to offer to insecure people.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 12:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Maybe it really does come down to the type of job that one does, or the threat that you appear to offer to insecure people.
Could be.
I sometimes wonder whether a particularly bad experience may cause some to be negative towards other aspects of their lives here in a way they weren't previously.

Over the years on BE there have been a few people with nothing but positive things to say about where they've been living, their work or whatever, or even things have been okay. Then something has happened. Maybe a lost job. They had to move to another place or just other accommodation in the same city and suddenly everything that was previously good has become awful.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 2:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The only 'negative' response to me being an immigrant (or 'not from here) was from a government employee.. but that's not the Country - it's ONE individual.. I don't let one negative impact my opinion of the many.. we all know someone who is an arse.. it's not country specific!
Old Jun 29th 2019, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I've ever been poorly treated in Canada because I am an immigrant. And I do have a slight German accent. I had no issues in Nova Scotia where I lived for 14 years. And I don't have a problem in the West either. In my opinion it always depends on the individual and their attitude of how they get treated.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

>>BE Guest004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JamesM
Yes. Institutional racism exists in Canada.
I work in downtown Toronto. From time to time, I see entire offices staffed entirely by South Asians or Chinese only. Labrador Iron Ore company springs to mind. The racism cuts both ways.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

DaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackriver
I work in downtown Toronto. From time to time, I see entire offices staffed entirely by South Asians or Chinese only. Labrador Iron Ore company springs to mind. The racism cuts both ways.
They might just have no other choice, if they're finding it hard to be accepted.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 11:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackriver
I know of some firms that are staffed entirely by people from one country and that operate in the language of that country. Bricklaying teams, for example, might be all Polish, all Irish, all Jamaican and so on. In the food sector, the staff of Chinese restaurants are likely to be Chinese(!) and those working in Ethiopian restaurants are not likely to be Swedish.

However, the idea that this demonstrates racism cutting both ways is a glaring example of "false equivalence". Systemic racism is demonstrated by aboriginal Canadian incarceration rates and the location of settlements without safe drinking water, this is not the same as looking through an office window and seeing a lot of brown people (assuming that is that "South Asians" are brown, this may be an example of Canadian geography, like "East Indian" and actually refer to the Portuguese).
Old Aug 20th 2019, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Systemic racism is demonstrated by aboriginal Canadian incarceration rates and the location of settlements without safe drinking water
Whether the water issue is racism is dubious as many people in these aboriginal communities refuse to pay a form of municipal tax to support a clean water supply and instead just expect it to be handed to them. They absolutely should have clean water, and ISC is working on fixing it (I think 70 out of the 130 reserves without clean water are now fixed), but it's not completely one sided.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 1:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Whether the water issue is racism is dubious as many people in these aboriginal communities refuse to pay a form of municipal tax to support a clean water supply and instead just expect it to be handed to them. They absolutely should have clean water, and ISC is working on fixing it (I think 70 out of the 130 reserves without clean water are now fixed), but it's not completely one sided.
Are there places in Canada, other than Indian reservations, that don't have safe drinking water?
Old Aug 21st 2019, 2:01 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Then there is the blind eye turned towards the disappeared indigenous women.

But it's alright someone walked down a street in Downtown Toronto and claims to have seen people of one nationality in one office.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are there places in Canada, other than Indian reservations, that don't have safe drinking water?
Not as many likely because as I mentioned most places require you to pay a yearly property tax for the water to be treated so the facilities are well funded. Reserves continue to suffer all sorts of infrastructure issues as money is not properly spent and the residents don’t seem to want to incorporate to provide these facilities and others such as sewers, sidewalks, etc.

Not saying its right and that we shouldn’t fix it, but to dismiss it as racism is shifting the blame on problems that need to be addressed within these communities themselves. I mean obviously historically there are issues there but playing that card can’t go on for ever. I just really hope we can see some reform and improvements from within these communities.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Aug 21st 2019 at 5:49 am.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 12:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Not as many likely because as I mentioned most places require you to pay a yearly property tax for the water to be treated so the facilities are well funded. Reserves continue to suffer all sorts of infrastructure issues as money is not properly spent and the residents don’t seem to want to incorporate to provide these facilities and others such as sewers, sidewalks, etc.

Not saying its right and that we shouldn’t fix it, but to dismiss it as racism is shifting the blame on problems that need to be addressed within these communities themselves. I mean obviously historically there are issues there but playing that card can’t go on for ever. I just really hope we can see some reform and improvements from within these communities.
I don't think I'm shifting blame. I'm not saying that the poisoned water is a consequence of racism, just that it's symptomatic of the racism endemic to Canadian society that the aboriginal people are left to suffer while the Canadians are oh so smug about the similar problems in Flint, MI. A population can be subject to systemic racism and it can still be the case that the members of that population that are not in jail or abducted do a poor job of maintaining their streetscapes.

Old Aug 21st 2019, 12:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I mean obviously historically there are issues there but playing that card can’t go on for ever.
Yeah, it can, actually. The treaties entered into by the first nations are in effect for perpetuity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.