British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   SEC assessment query for CRNBC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/sec-assessment-query-crnbc-771601/)

IENJamaica Mar 30th 2013 9:28 pm

Re: SEC assessment query for CRNBC

I have my SEC in June in Alberta. Does anyone know of persons who have done the SEC and passed...that is, not required to do anything further, but the CRNE?

Also, what are some preparation tips for the SEC? Thank you.

catty4488 Apr 17th 2013 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by snowhugs (Post 10283605)
I undertook the SEC for CRNBC, and found it straight forward , it really is nothing to study for as you already have a fair bit of experience.

I failed though , as they do a "role play" thing at the end.. this is very difficult and unless you have worked in Canada already you will probably fail. I feel this test is designed to make you fail , so they can put you through a 4 day course to bring you up to " Canadian standards":unsure:

I do not mean to sound negative , but do not stress too much.... I ended up sitting the exam(CRNE) in Ontario and passed , never having passed SEC.:o

Hi snowhugs, I have failed my sec assessment too.:thumbdown: could you please tell me what you did after? I am so confused right now.:unsure:
thnks

Airborne_Dan Apr 18th 2013 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by catty4488 (Post 10664865)
Hi snowhugs, I have failed my sec assessment too.:thumbdown: could you please tell me what you did after? I am so confused right now.:unsure:
thnks

Sorry to hear that Caty, when did you take it? I'm still waiting for a date for mine but they haven't been given funding to book anymore places as yet.

TKaur81 Apr 29th 2013 2:41 pm

Hi everyone

Im new to this site, am glad I found a site where people have done the SEC... I'm a UK registered nurse, with only 6 years outpatient experience, Im just Adult trained, and my course did not include Paeds hours...I've been asked to do the General and Paediatric SEC in BC. Im still waiting for my exam date as I believe they are waiting for funding...

I'm getting very anxious and worried over it I've no idea what to expect..I'm trying to self study from a Canadian Nursing book...but its HUGE..how do you decide what info is important and what isnt? :( also does anyone know if many International nurses have been asked to do the one year Re-entry course? I've a feeling I may have to do that...

Is there anyone who can offer me any words of encouragement? I really do want to pursue my nursing career in Canada..just hope I can overcome all the hurdles... is there any help out there from immigration integration services to help international healthcare workers??

Thankyou
Tina

Silverdragon102 Apr 29th 2013 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by TKaur81 (Post 10683657)
Hi everyone

Im new to this site, am glad I found a site where people have done the SEC... I'm a UK registered nurse, with only 6 years outpatient experience, Im just Adult trained, and my course did not include Paeds hours...I've been asked to do the General and Paediatric SEC in BC. Im still waiting for my exam date as I believe they are waiting for funding...

I'm getting very anxious and worried over it I've no idea what to expect..I'm trying to self study from a Canadian Nursing book...but its HUGE..how do you decide what info is important and what isnt? :( also does anyone know if many International nurses have been asked to do the one year Re-entry course? I've a feeling I may have to do that...

Is there anyone who can offer me any words of encouragement? I really do want to pursue my nursing career in Canada..just hope I can overcome all the hurdles... is there any help out there from immigration integration services to help international healthcare workers??

Thankyou
Tina

I know someone that did SEC with BC and has to do re-entry course and even though decided to go to another province the new province is requiring that they complete re-entry and courses that BC asked for to meet their requirements

TKaur81 Apr 29th 2013 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 (Post 10683947)
I know someone that did SEC with BC and has to do re-entry course and even though decided to go to another province the new province is requiring that they complete re-entry and courses that BC asked for to meet their requirements

Hi silverdragon,

I don't actually mind that I have to do re-entry...I will do whatever it takes to try and pursue my nursing dream, just worried on hearing about the fact there are 2 year waiting lists in BC to do the course... :(

nanuss May 23rd 2013 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan (Post 10563656)
Sorry to hear you're being messed around Abbi. I'm doing my SEC in May (awaiting confirmation).

AD

Hello Ladies!
Sorry to intrude, because I am actually not from the UK, but I am european (From Spain) and it is a pleasure to finally find other people from Europe that are in my same situation.

Like somebody commented above, I am also waiting for the SEC date and this is being desperating, I have asked for a date last January 2013 and today almost in june I am still waiting for a date!

Also I am very anxious because of the difficulty of the exam.. I try to read the mosby comprehensive but Its nuts all the stuff that i need to memorize...

If any of you is waiting for a date, could you please let me know when you have applied? and also, I have quoted this message above, because I am surprise that somebody has date for May, because I have been told that there was no funding after March 13... ?¿?

hitozutsu May 24th 2013 4:56 am

Originally Posted by nanuss (Post 10721983)
Hello Ladies!
Sorry to intrude, because I am actually not from the UK, but I am european (From Spain) and it is a pleasure to finally find other people from Europe that are in my same situation.

Like somebody commented above, I am also waiting for the SEC date and this is being desperating, I have asked for a date last January 2013 and today almost in june I am still waiting for a date!

Also I am very anxious because of the difficulty of the exam.. I try to read the mosby comprehensive but Its nuts all the stuff that i need to memorize...

If any of you is waiting for a date, could you please let me know when you have applied? and also, I have quoted this message above, because I am surprise that somebody has date for May, because I have been told that there was no funding after March 13... ?¿?

Are you talking about the SEC in British Columbia in regards to funding? Or Alberta?

nanuss May 24th 2013 6:50 am

Originally Posted by hitozutsu (Post 10722165)
Are you talking about the SEC in British Columbia in regards to funding? Or Alberta?

BC

hitozutsu May 24th 2013 6:55 am

Originally Posted by nanuss (Post 10722225)
BC

I guess I was super lucky :x.
I only waited 3 weeks for my SEC.
I think you should contact them? :)

Airborne_Dan May 24th 2013 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by nanuss (Post 10721983)
Hello Ladies!

I have been waiting since October and had requested early May to take the SEC. I've been informed that there is a ministry of health meeting today to determine funding. So I'm in the same position as you unfortunately!

nanuss May 25th 2013 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan (Post 10723435)
I have been waiting since October and had requested early May to take the SEC. I've been informed that there is a ministry of health meeting today to determine funding. So I'm in the same position as you unfortunately!

Oh I see! So just one more question, when they contacted you to give you a date they asked you to select a date? or you just requested directly for May, without having them asking you?

nanuss May 25th 2013 2:57 am

Originally Posted by hitozutsu (Post 10722231)
I guess I was super lucky :x.
I only waited 3 weeks for my SEC.
I think you should contact them? :)

When did you take SEC?

hitozutsu May 25th 2013 5:52 am

Originally Posted by nanuss (Post 10723709)
When did you take SEC?

first week of march I took my SEC.
I was put on waiting list end of january.
I am at the last hurdle, I am doing an online course and a session in july and then I have my temp licensing :)

Airborne_Dan May 25th 2013 8:49 am

Originally Posted by nanuss (Post 10723708)
Oh I see! So just one more question, when they contacted you to give you a date they asked you to select a date? or you just requested directly for May, without having them asking you?

I asked for May because at the time it was far enough in to the future for me to confidently book annual leave knowing I would be near the top of the list.