Wikiposts

SEC Alberta

Old Mar 27th 2013, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Tommytank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SEC Alberta

I am hoping to apply in May on the FSW programme do, you think we will now have to select a new Province now that the assessment process for Alberta is closing it's doors ?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
you could always try to contact CARNA, with the FSW route I believe it may take more than 12 months (just a guess). I can't see this not having SEC assessments continuing as we need nurses in Alberta.

It has just taken me 14 weeks to fill 5 positions, I have two international nurses and 3 new grads who are fresh out of the box.
I could have employed all brand new grads, but I need experienced nurses at this time.

Good luck on what ever you decide to do
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

noshpade is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by north2007
Email received today. It doesnt give any infomation what happens next.

"The Internationally Educated Nurses Assessment Centres will phase out their services as of July 1, 2013, closing their offices in Edmonton and Calgary.

For the past six years, the IEN Assessment Centres have been funded by Alberta Health, the ministry that sets policy, legislation and standards for the health system in this province. Services at the IEN Assessment Centres have been provided by the School of Nursing at Mount Royal University.

Alberta Health has recently notified Mount Royal that they will not commit ongoing funding to support the operation of the IEN Assessment Centres after June 30, 2013. As a result, Mount Royal must close the services provided through both centres.

The IEN Assessment Centres are internationally recognised for their pioneering work in meeting the high demand for nurses in Alberta by helping registered nurses educated in foreign countries to meet the credentialing process by the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA).

If you are an IEN who is booked for a SEC assessment at either of the IEN Assessment Centres between April 1, 2013 and June 30, 2013, you will proceed with your SEC assessment as outlined in your Booking and Confirmation letters. Please contact the Assessment Centre 4 weeks in advance of your assessment to confirm your attendance.

If you are an IEN who is booked for a SEC assessment at either of the IEN Assessment Centres AFTER June 30, 2013 your SEC assessment has been cancelled. It is with deep regret that Mount Royal is unable to complete any SEC assessments beyond this June 30, 2013 date.

If you have questions about the closure of the IEN Assessment Centres, or about the future of the Internationally Educated Nurses Assessment Centre program, please contact the ministry directly:" address supplied
Hi North

Got the same email yesterday. When is your schedule for the SEC assessment? Mine is on October so it is definitely cancelled. I talked to CARNA today and they said that all I can do is to wait for them to come up with a plan to resolve things out. Hopefully they will work things out because Im really very depressed right now..
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

north2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

NP,
booked for Mar 14. There are other locations however, Alberta for us is outstanding and suits travelling to from UK.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 6:25 am
Just Joined

UK_AJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Bit worrying to here this news that the SEC assessments have shut down, I've very recently sent off all my transcripts,payment and documentation to CARNA for assessment.

I'm a UK diploma trained nurse with a few years experience trying to move out to Alberta, and my first step was to try and get my registration sorted before anything else. I assumed as a a Diploma Nurse I would have to complete the SEC assessment to prove my ability to be an RN in Canada, and the hope was to study hard and hopefully get through the sec assessment and be allowed a Temp permit before the CRNE. Now that it has all been taking away I'm a bit stumped as to what will happen.

Fingers crossed that they will come up with a fair solution soon that will give myself and others a chance to register in Alberta.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:21 am
Just Joined

IENJamaica is an unknown quantity at this point

I have my SEC booked for June 17 & 18, fortunately.
I'm sure CARNA will come up with a alternate solution soon, because iens have paid big money to start their registration process, they cant just shut it down.

I think there's a possibility they may send us to do it in Saskatchewan at Kwantlen.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Stefanwyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: SEC Alberta

Originally Posted by UK_AJ
Hi all

Bit worrying to here this news that the SEC assessments have shut down, I've very recently sent off all my transcripts,payment and documentation to CARNA for assessment.

Fingers crossed that they will come up with a fair solution soon that will give myself and others a chance to register in Alberta.

Hi all,

I also trained in the UK and have a Diploma (in Children's Nursing). I moved to Calgary in January because my boyfriend got a transfer out here with work. We researched everything to do with nursing in Alberta, read about CARNA and the SEC's, and filled in all the forms before I left the UK. It has taken until now for them to receive everything (Canada's post is soooooo slow). Like UK_AJ, I have paid the application fee and the ball is rolling. But now I'm at a bit of a loose end and not sure what to do. I really hope they sort something out soon.

But reading the comments above, someone had an SEC booked for October. Is the waiting list really that long?! We might only be out here for 2 years (his minimum contract). It may look like I'll never get to nurse over here. The reason I agreed to come was because Canada is crying out for nurses (I work in NICU) and I'd be able to keep up my own practice.

Not sure what to do now!
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stefanwyj
Hi all,

I also trained in the UK and have a Diploma (in Children's Nursing). I moved to Calgary in January because my boyfriend got a transfer out here with work. We researched everything to do with nursing in Alberta, read about CARNA and the SEC's, and filled in all the forms before I left the UK. It has taken until now for them to receive everything (Canada's post is soooooo slow). Like UK_AJ, I have paid the application fee and the ball is rolling. But now I'm at a bit of a loose end and not sure what to do. I really hope they sort something out soon.

But reading the comments above, someone had an SEC booked for October. Is the waiting list really that long?! We might only be out here for 2 years (his minimum contract). It may look like I'll never get to nurse over here. The reason I agreed to come was because Canada is crying out for nurses (I work in NICU) and I'd be able to keep up my own practice.

Not sure what to do now!
Have you contacted the International recruitment team at AHS?
Might be worth speaking with them regards employment now that you have the ball rolling with CARNA.

They obviously can't employ you at present, but you will be 'on their list' so to speak.

Good luck and hope it all works out for you
Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:38 am
Just Joined

I believe I have their number, I shall give them a call. Thanks very much. Good luck to everyone else who is in the process x
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:27 am
Just Joined

I have just received this email from CARNA

"It is our understanding that the MRU SEC center will be closed permanently at the end of June. This closure was not anticipated by CARNA and we were unable to have plan 'B' in place in advance. CARNA is actively discussing with government a short and longer term solution to continuing this kind of service but we do not have any concrete answers at this time. We expect to have more information available for our applicants in the very near future (within weeks) and so we are asking for patience while we get this sorted out. I am sorry I do not have anything more definite to tell you right now."

They reach a decision soon
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Airborne_Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

It's looking like BC are having similar issues with SEC. There has been no funding allocated for SEC assessments and as yet so no bookings are being made. The waiting seems to be going on and on.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Suzy.Mc is an unknown quantity at this point

It is really sad to read this, it was not like this 2 years ago, though. I was booked for my SEC to be done two days after I got my result.

Good luck guys.