Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Scotland V's Canada

Scotland V's Canada

Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland V's Canada

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Hi I'm Ails, My hubby Dave has been posting for a few days now and you guys seam a helpful bunch! Anyway, we are going through the should we shouldn't we roller coaster ride and now just have our heads in a mess and don't know which way is up or what we should do!!! I'm sure you have all been there.... so here's my question... Can you give a wee list of the good and bad points you had for deciding to leave the UK and head to Canada? Might help us decide....!

So far we have...

Scotland- Good

Friends and Family are here
It's what we know
Kids are settled at school
We have jobs

Scotland - Bad

"grey" weather
High Taxes to pay for "lazy bums" to not work

Canada - Good

Better Weather (is this true??)
Lower Taxes (is this true??)
More house for your money (Is this true???)
Higher Wages (is this true???)

Canada - Bad

No Friends & Family
Big Hassle to get there

Hi there

Seems to me that you have a dilemma, there appear to me more good things than bad on your list for Scotland and of the good things you list about Canada the only certainty is the bigger house for the money and i guess even that may be difficult in somewhere like Vancouver for example.
One of the biggest things for us is that we will be mortgage/debt free and hope to be able to make the most of the outdoor lifestyle on our doorstep.
The only minus point for us will be missing family but i cannot think of any other reason not to go so the pros far outway the cons in our list.

Just my ten pennies worth.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 11:45 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your honest replies, some very mixed opinions there and lots for us to think about...

Thanks again (and keep them coming!)
Ails
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the big deal about houses being constructed from wood? In most areas of the world, houses have typically been constructed from the materials that are available locally and which suit the climate.

I believe that the original European settlers in Canada tried to build houses from bricks and mortar and soon discovered that it wasn't a great idea. The freeze-thaw tore them to bits in a couple of years. Wood moves and is thus well-suited to wide fluctuations in temperature.

It is certainly true that parts of Canadian houses will need replacing from time to time. Windows and roofs, for example, might need re-doing every 10-15 years. However, it's a fairly easy job, owing to the nature of the construction, and not massively expensive. I've watched roofers at work here. They can strip and re-shingle a roof in a day (the UK health & safety nanny would have a heart attack if she saw these guys working).
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

What is the big deal about houses being constructed from wood?
Only, as you say, that they require more maintenance. But I guess you're right that it's much easier than fixing a brick house when it does need repairs.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

SarahBella is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

I'm from Canada, and currently living in Edinburgh with my partner...we're applying for him to immigrate outland.

Anyway, I can def. agree with a lot of people when it comes to the binge drinking, and the "chavs", being disrespected by teenagers and the dog crap all over the place... it's not really what I'm used to coming from Canada...there is def a lot less of that back home.

A lot of it was very shocking to me when I first arrvied.

Even my partner, who was born and raised in Scotland agree's with me, and if we ever have children and start a family, we'd find that we'd feel safer raising them in Canada.

I'm also not saying that I 'loathe' Scotland or anything like that, I enjoy the scenery and being able to see Castles and Lochs...I've also met some really great people down here and have had some great times exploring... It's a nice place to visit and live for a little while, but I just wouldn't enjoy settling down here.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I have never yet seens any conclusive evidence that more tax is paid in canada.

EVERYTHHING I have ever found points to lower personal and consumer taxation levels in Canada. However, lower cost of living means generally lower incomes too, Dont move to canada solely to have more disposable income, it would be a gamble. One of the main advantages for us is we can get by on my salary so my wife can stay home with the kids. We cant put a price in that, we both consider that very important. Once they are big enough, she will be out working again, and hopefully we will be able to afford a few more toys, but that wont be for a while yet.

The hardest thing I find about choosing to live here is not having family around, but then in the UK we never used to see each other more than a few weekends a year anyway as we were spread all over. Now when I see them, its for a couple of weeks at at time, which is frankly a mixed blessing.

Beatiful blue skies here today (and yesterday, and the day before), but it was -27C when I got up this morning. Glad I dont work outside.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 19th 2007 at 2:17 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
I have never yet seens any conclusive evidence that more tax is paid in canada.

EVERYTHHING I have ever found points to lower personal and consumer taxation levels in Canada.
Point them at me kiddo. I spent much of yesterday working on my taxes. My total tax hit for 2006 seems to be 38% of gross. Hopefully I can't count.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:25 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Point them at me kiddo. I spent much of yesterday working on my taxes. My total tax hit for 2006 seems to be 38% of gross. Hopefully I can't count.
Quebec...law unto itself and the highest paying province innit. I guess that just goes to show the pointlessness of discussing "canadain" taxes rather than focusing on a particular province. Quebecs the worst though.

Last year in Ontario my total tax burden including EI, CPP ("NI" if you like) was 26% or so. I guess I need to be paid more to really suffer. Dont have this years T4 yet, so too soon to say for this year. If you have a home business I imagine it could be further reduced.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 19th 2007 at 2:50 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Still 2% less than me!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
If you have a home business I imagine it could be further reduced.
Oh yes.

<please send me a receipt for that post>
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:58 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the big deal about houses being constructed from wood? In most areas of the world, houses have typically been constructed from the materials that are available locally and which suit the climate.

I believe that the original European settlers in Canada tried to build houses from bricks and mortar and soon discovered that it wasn't a great idea. The freeze-thaw tore them to bits in a couple of years. Wood moves and is thus well-suited to wide fluctuations in temperature.
Very true. People need to drop the 'Three Little Pigs' notion of home construction.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:58 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

We made the move..............not because we hated the UK. We Had a good life, lived in a lovely part of Cheshire and didn't expereince anywhere near the levels of crime, chavs, drugs, louts etc that other people from the UK talk about.
No, we made the move purely because we had the opportunity to do so. We were at the right point in our lives to try something different. Kids were no longer in tiny baby stage, but still little enough to adapt easily, and we figured it was now or never. We had the chance to try a new way of life and grabbed it. We didn't know iif it was forever and still don't, but its a hell of a way to give you a new lease of life.

We miss the UK, no doubt about it, and miss little things that made up 'our life', but we are enjoying being here too.

I wouldn't say the grass is greener here, just a different shade. I think if you set expectations too high, then you may be disapointed.
Our main aims for our new life in Alberta were these ;

- for me to no longer HAVE to work, so we can have more time as a family. ( I worked odd hours in the UK)
- we wanted to get away from the high stress my husband had at work in the UK
- we wanted more sunshine
- we wanted to have a more outdoorsy lifestlye and looked forward to all the new winter and summer activites that we hoped we'd be able to do.
- to be able to afford some of the nicer things in life without making too many sacrifices to get them.

In summary, I think we really have obtained all those things, and we do love our lifestlye. We have no regrets about doing any of this.

I think your timing has to be right, and you have to 'both' be committed to it to make it work.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:17 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
... you have to 'both' be committed to it to make it work.
No doubt vital. Slight cracks in a relationship or 'difficulties' or running away from things in the UK whether personal, family, professional or relationship, could turn to huge voids over here due to stresses, changes, inital social isolation, financial worries, distance from 'old home' etc.

On strong foundations, be sure to build your new life, young Jedi travellers

Rich.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

remember it may be hard to get irn bru!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 4:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by edinburgh
remember it may be hard to get irn bru!
The sell it in my local supermarket, so probably not a problem. Its imported though, so not cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.