Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Scotland V's Canada

Scotland V's Canada

Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:20 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland V's Canada

Here are just a few of my reasons...

Sold up and moved from a lovely conservation village (2 bed thatched cottage, half acre garden) to be able to buy a 32 acre property, own 2 houses and a business that supports both my wife and I.

No longer any need for either of us to spend over 4hrs per day commuting to and from work.

Fantastic skiing 45mins drive away, rather than being an expensive occasional holiday.

Much better climate - warm spring, hot and dry summer, mild autumn, cold sunny winter. Only a tiny % of the rainfall we got in the UK, no damp/humidity and lots of sun and blue skies.

Feel far safer here - less obvious crime, friendlier and more open/welcoming communities, binge drinking culture doesn't exist (at least not in Kamloops), more laid back lifestyle (which sometimes is a little frustrating and takes some adjusting to).

Healthier lifestyle - more outdoor activities, access to land and space that you could only dream about in the UK.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:23 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
Healthier lifestyle - more outdoor activities, access to land and space that you could only dream about in the UK.

Thats what I want living in a city doesn't do it for me anymore.

Emma
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
Here are just a few of my reasons...

Sold up and moved from a lovely conservation village (2 bed thatched cottage, half acre garden) to be able to buy a 32 acre property, own 2 houses and a business that supports both my wife and I.

No longer any need for either of us to spend over 4hrs per day commuting to and from work.

Fantastic skiing 45mins drive away, rather than being an expensive occasional holiday.

Much better climate - warm spring, hot and dry summer, mild autumn, cold sunny winter. Only a tiny % of the rainfall we got in the UK, no damp/humidity and lots of sun and blue skies.

Feel far safer here - less obvious crime, friendlier and more open/welcoming communities, binge drinking culture doesn't exist (at least not in Kamloops), more laid back lifestyle (which sometimes is a little frustrating and takes some adjusting to).

Thats the sort of answer I wanted - Thankyou!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Thats the sort of answer I wanted - Thankyou!
What about my answers wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Only kidding lol
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Ok Honest answers now,

I want to go for a better standard of living I live in the centre of Edinburgh and can't afford to, there also other reasons why I dont' want to move outside of Edinburgh but thats another story.

I want to move to NS, I work with children so I usually can find a job anywhere but the only problem is that everyone who works with children is paid really low wages (all over the world) so for me it's a chance to maybe actually own a house and not own a very small one bedroom flat, to be able to have kids one day cause at the moment I can't because of my living situation. My wages in NS are low but compared to the high cost of living in Edinburgh it's seems like an option for me to go somewhere I could live a semi normal life. I'm not gong to be rich in Canada and I'm probably going to struggle.

I earn less than 13k per year and an average flat in Edinburgh is now around the 140k mark I can't afford that (I don't want to live in a flat anymore anyway I've been doing it for years now, getting a bit claustrophobic now), and in my job there no career ladder.

I also have been researching what kind of thing I would be doing with the children in Canada and it sound more appealing they seem to have more of an outdoor lifestyle.

I could go on (I have many reasons) but I want to give it a shot I'm a bit stuck where I am at the moment.

Hope you understood this I waffle on a bit sometimes, some people can get straight to the point but me I take a detour on the way lol

Emma x
Hi Emma, Thanks for your honesty, 13k would be hard to live on anywhere - good luck with your move I hope it works out well for you.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:37 pm

Hi Emma, Thanks for your honesty, 13k would be hard to live on anywhere - good luck with your move I hope it works out well for you.
aww thanks
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

I think its a tough decision and some people go thinking that Canada will be easy only to discover that the streets aren't paved with gold and its not necessarily easy to get a job - but thats the reality of moving anywhere - Canada isn't the first country to ask for "local" Canadian experience.

We're going because despite efforts we don't know our neighbours, my husband has to drive 6 hours minimum to get to mountains (you can walk in, never mind ski), my commute involves being pushed and shoved by miserable people and where we've both been threatened by teenagers on the bus.

In Canada we will get a bigger house for the same money but our salaries will be about the same (not dollar for pound but exchanged), we will be closer to the great outdoors, and in a community where people are happy to let their kids play outside.

One of the districts we're looking is about to build 13 new schools because of future growth trends and another area has elementary school intake areas within a 3 block radius so kids never have to walk more than 3 blocks and so they cut down on the school run problem - I don't know any UK districts doing something similar.

Canada isn't a magical place - its got its problems but I'm happier living with its problems for what I win out with... thats the decision you have to make too!

Good luck!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Canada isn't a magical place - its got its problems but I'm happier living with its problems for what I win out with... thats the decision you have to make too!
Indeed. I think the outdoors angle is one of the largest reasons for many people too, it seems much easier to find a small town in some impressive scenery with plenty of outdoor activities than in the UK... if you're into that kind of thing. Obviously finding a job there may be difficult, though.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkG
Indeed. I think the outdoors angle is one of the largest reasons for many people too, it seems much easier to find a small town in some impressive scenery with plenty of outdoor activities than in the UK... if you're into that kind of thing. Obviously finding a job there may be difficult, though.
I agree - the smaller towns make great living but aren't great for jobs - I'm probably going to have around the same commute (1 hour 15) but for that I get a 6 bedroom house instead of a 3 bed one and I can be skiing in 45 mins (less if I hit the hills on my way home!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

The things I have enjoyed about living in the Vancouver area are:

Beautiful scenery
Ski mountains
Lakes on my doorstep
Good mix of ethnic groups
Chance for kids to enjoy different sports
Love the TV (yes I'm sure that's a first )
Love the parks/rec centres

The things I haven't enjoyed about living in the Vancouver area are:

Price of goods compared to wage
Kids education
Husbands lack of career prospects
People being polite but not sincere
Difficulty in being accepted often ignored when people have found out I'm English (Husband has found that too at work)
Having large house = spending too much time cleaning!
Less family time, kids lost in house
Lack of funds to enjoy what Vancouver has to offer, skiing, boating etc
Missed my extended family more than I thought.
Feel like I've aged 30 years.

Just a few things that come to mind! Glad I came for the experience though, it's always good to try things out.

Last edited by fishfinger; Feb 18th 2007 at 11:35 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:33 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe I'm just trying to jibe an answer out of you....

I genuinely don't get it - I love Scotland and I'm proud of my country. I loved BC on my visits cause it was like Scotland but Bigger.... If you guys also love it so much and want it so much why can't you say what it is you love and want?? Is it too personal?
Our thoughts Dave and Ailsa

We were from Glasgow as well

Wife was a bank manager
Me was a prison officer working in the big hoose in Riddrie, you know where that is.

I could not walk the streets of Glasgow without bumping into ex-cons, most were OK but there was a few occasions when it was not and the family were there.

My wife and I both hated the way the UK was going, neds, chavs, hoodies,the 60's knife culture in Glasgow all over again, our kids could not play outside due for fear of their safety
My daughter was assaulted in school, school had a policy of inclusion so scummy chavvy girls were kept in school to the disbelieve of us
I saw the other side of the fence and hated it.
Wife hated getting verbal abuse from Glasgow bank customers on a daily basis
She hated the stress and pressure that she was put under on a daily basis in the bank.

We wanted a better quality of life for us and our kids and we have it here in Canada.

I dont see junkies oot there head on smack
I dont see dog shit all over the pavements
I dont see pigeon shit all over the pavemets
I dont see chewing gum everywhere
I dont have any hassle at all, infact the whole family has really chilled out since moving here.

The kids here are polite, they have respect for their elders

We wanted a less stressfull life before we went to burn out in the UK, long hours, shitty shifts at work, loads of stress and pressure in both jobs.

I went back on the tools as a welder, the wife is working as a checkout operator, if the canadians were anymore laid back they would be horizontal, nothing here is ever a problem, 'it will get sorted dont worry about it' !!!!!

Houses here are cheaper and lot bigger
Schools are first class and have loads of activities for the kids
Looking forward to a long hot summer, something you never got in Glasgow
We have a lower income that what we had in the UK, but the quality of our lives here far outways this.
Streets defo safer for the kids
We have no social segregation here, every race and colour all mix and get on with each other, which is good as this will never happen in the UK
We have friendlier with more open and welcoming communities, the UK binge drinking , drug taking culture appears to be non existent.

Hope this helps

Eddie
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=or4ngecrush;4418775]
Hi I'm Ails, My hubby Dave has been posting for a few days now and you guys seam a helpful bunch! Anyway, we are going through the should we shouldn't we roller coaster ride and now just have our heads in a mess and don't know which way is up or what we should do!!! I'm sure you have all been there.... so here's my question... Can you give a wee list of the good and bad points you had for deciding to leave the UK and head to Canada? Might help us decide....!

So far we have...

Scotland- Good

Friends and Family are here
It's what we know
Kids are settled at school
We have jobs

Scotland - Bad

"grey" weather
High Taxes to pay for "lazy bums" to not work

Canada - Good

Better Weather (is this true??)
Lower Taxes (is this true??)
More house for your money (Is this true???)
Higher Wages (is this true???)

Canada - Bad

No Friends & Family
Big Hassle to get there

Hello,

Canada is the second largest country but has less people in it than the UK, so that really means you can't generalize Canada as a whole. There so many different provinces and they have their own quirks and have different weather, wages, house prices etc....

Yes wages are higher possibly in Vancouver for example but so is there house prices, and NS has cheaper houses etc.. but then their wages are lower too and there are less jobs "swings and roundabouts"

What a big hassle to get from where to where? I mean if your family were in Glasgow and you ended up living in NS then it's not really a hassle but then if you were somewhere else in Canada and your family lived in Skye then yes it would be a hassle.

Take into consideration where you are now and what your lifestyle is e.g.
if you were in a lovely house in Scotland and had great jobs then moving to Canada isn't going to make it better just different, or it could even make it worse as you may have to start at the bottom of the house/career ladder and it can be as expensive as the U.K.

The weather is so diverse and if you like certain conditions e.g. snow then yeah you going to love living in places where it snows for 6 months at a time, or maybe you prefer the sunshine then there are places that cater for that too but some people dont like the heat as it's more humid than say Scotland, but then again you cant generalise Canada as a whole and if you had an idea of where you wanted to go then maybe you could start thinking of the pros and cons etc..

That was just the tip of the iceberg

I actually don't think it's as black & white as "Scotland vs Canada"

Think about it:

hope it helps

Emma

How did I know that you'd chip your two cents worth in here .... lol ......
By the way forgot to ask did you get all your paper work done last weekend?
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:08 am

[QUOTE=Texas Mom;4420475]
Originally Posted by or4ngecrush

How did I know that you'd chip your two cents worth in here .... lol ......
By the way forgot to ask did you get all your paper work done last weekend?
hey,

get back to yer own thread texas mom, no but I got it done this weekend going to post it mon.

I really don't now this lady she's a bit no right in the heid
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

hi Dave and ailsa

read your posts with interest
we have three kids all at school in edinburgh and in the middle of the paperwork thing

from our trips to BC this country /lifestyle ticks all our boxes

great outdoor life
safe enviroment (excludes the bears and i dont mean rangers supporters)
polite people (makes it easier for my kids to realise please and thank you are normall)
a chance to see another country
learn new skills
get the work / life balance right

at the moment its heads down , work ass off , pay mortgages , loans , etc , not saying we wouldnt have debt but its a chance to set up the life we want on the path we want without getting the feeling youre on a rollercoaster with a government who are on the same ride!

worst case is you could come back whats the harm ?
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:38 am
Over here

virion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant future

Hi Dave n Ailsa

I am midway through the process of moving from Glasgow to Montreal, hope to be there by about October this year.

My reasons:

Have lived in London, Glasgow and Edinburgh doing a professional job yet have no prospect of buying a decent house in those cities.

There is a huge amount of work in my and my OH's professions in Montreal, equvalent to what was in London but with the benefits of skiing 40 mins out of town. Plus good mountain biking and climbing too.

Wish to improve upon my "good" french to fluency

Already have friends and family friends there

More defined climate with distinct seasons

Still easy/cheap to get back to UK

I find Scotland insanely and increasingly small minded.

Good luck with your decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.