Schools in Quebec

Wikiposts

Schools in Quebec

Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Teef23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in Quebec

Hi all
Not sure this post is in the right place. We are thinking of moving to Quebec and have two children aged 11 and 13. We have done some research and are going to try for PR.

My question is around the potential for my children to be educated in English language schools, as they have been educated so far in this language, whilst they build their french. I have looked at the egligibilty criteria but can't see what could secure our eligibility.

Does anyone have any experience of the school system there and transitioning across?

Thank you in advance
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Quebec

Originally Posted by Teef23
Hi all
Not sure this post is in the right place. We are thinking of moving to Quebec and have two children aged 11 and 13. We have done some research and are going to try for PR.

My question is around the potential for my children to be educated in English language schools, as they have been educated so far in this language, whilst they build their french. I have looked at the egligibilty criteria but can't see what could secure our eligibility.

Does anyone have any experience of the school system there and transitioning across?

Thank you in advance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Quebec

See the language in schools section.

I have a canadian born friend who grew up in Quebec and ended up going by school bus for about 1 hour 20 minutes each way to the english language high school. Looking back on it all, he said he wished he had gone to the french language school within walking distance.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I understood that immigrant children into Quebec, whether from other provinces or other countries, had to be educated in French.

The only option seemed to be to use the private system.

But why not put your children into the French system ......... they'll learn Quebecois much faster then!

Note that it it will be Quebecois French, not Parisian that is taught and spoken in Quebec.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 4:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I understood that immigrant children into Quebec, whether from other provinces or other countries, had to be educated in French.

The only option seemed to be to use the private system.

But why not put your children into the French system ......... they'll learn Quebecois much faster then!

Note that it it will be Quebecois French, not Parisian that is taught and spoken in Quebec.

There are exceptions made:

https://www.educaloi.qc.ca/en/capsul...schools-quebec
https://www.qesba.qc.ca/en/am-i-eligible

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 22nd 2018 at 4:25 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

so it looks as though a family moving into Quebec from other provinces and especially from overseas has to apply for special permission to be given for a child to attend English school.

A parent from overseas would have to apply in Category 1, be refused, and then apply under Category 3.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 11:44 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Generally speaking, all children of migrants in Québec must attend school in the French language. As mentioned there are opportunities to request exceptions, and as your children are older, they may be eligible. You can give it a try.

For my kids, I've put them in private primary (about $10K a year) where they do about 60% of the day in French and 40% in English.

For secondary, my eldest is in a French school in the private system (about $4K a year) where she does most lessons in French but follows the same English programme as the kids in the English school board - it's very similar to the programme I followed at secondary school in the UK.

I must say, the private schools in Québec, which are similar to Grammars in the UK, are absolutely astounding. We've been blown away and are very grateful for the opportunity our kids have to go to such good schools.

Back to the public system, the best performing school board in Québec happens to be Riverside, which manages the English language schools on the South Shore.