Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Schools - Fraser Institute Report

Schools - Fraser Institute Report

Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools - Fraser Institute Report

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
yes, really.

In kindergarten it was the DS.

In grade 2 the Ipod touch/Ipad

Grade 3/4 Iphone

Spawn saved allowance for over a year to buy herself an Ipod touch. Now she facetimes her friends on it.
Respect. That's quite the achievement at such a young age and bodes well, as you've obviously instilled the middle class value of delayed gratification.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
yes, really.

In kindergarten it was the DS.

In grade 2 the Ipod touch/Ipad

Grade 3/4 Iphone

Spawn saved allowance for over a year to buy herself an Ipod touch. Now she facetimes her friends on it.
Erm, I was saying really in a facetious tone. Of course they all have electronics from a young age, though DS at Kindergarten is stretching the boundaries!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
There seems to be a rather self-righteous strain of parenting that loves to denigrate childrens’ preferences about objects as if they’re experts in post-structuralist semiology of consumerism without realizing the ironic hypocrisy of their choices. I think the Amish are rather guilty of this.
You've been reading that book, innit.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Respect. That's quite the achievement at such a young age and bodes well, as you've obviously instilled the middle class value of delayed gratification.
I know we were quite impressed too and felt like fantastic parents briefly. She knows the value of a dollar that one
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Erm, I was saying really in a facetious tone. Of course they all have electronics from a young age, though DS at Kindergarten is stretching the boundaries!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:02 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a DS. I still use it.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I still use my Palm Pilot as its the only one that I can find that has Bezique on.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 11:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
What is it? What do you use it for? Can it balance your chequebook?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Hi again, a small update

We have been checking and calling schools in Calgary finding that we've pretty much missed the boat with starting grade 1 in Sept. All the areas are oversubscribed that we've looked at, even private schools are seeming hard to get in to. We have applied to Westmount Charter, but that's the only one we have an application in for as the others have all pretty much said they're full.

Pretty much totally given up on NW and have moved to check out SW areas, Aspen Woods, Signal Hill, Cougar Ridge and surrounding spots. Fingers crossed we find something there, we're both really quite deflated by the whole efforts at trying to get our kids into school. I know they would get in somewhere and just get bussed from the local, but trying to pick a good school only to find they're full over and over again gets to you after a while!

Even Webber Academy didn't have any room (at $16k per year I was a little relieved though).

We are still excited about the move .... will take more than this to put me off
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Hi again, a small update

We have been checking and calling schools in Calgary finding that we've pretty much missed the boat with starting grade 1 in Sept. All the areas are oversubscribed that we've looked at, even private schools are seeming hard to get in to. We have applied to Westmount Charter, but that's the only one we have an application in for as the others have all pretty much said they're full.

Pretty much totally given up on NW and have moved to check out SW areas, Aspen Woods, Signal Hill, Cougar Ridge and surrounding spots. Fingers crossed we find something there, we're both really quite deflated by the whole efforts at trying to get our kids into school. I know they would get in somewhere and just get bussed from the local, but trying to pick a good school only to find they're full over and over again gets to you after a while!

Even Webber Academy didn't have any room (at $16k per year I was a little relieved though).

We are still excited about the move .... will take more than this to put me off
I can't believe this as I know some good schools in NW that have spaces. Suspect you are just looking at the new areas?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gryphea
I can't believe this as I know some good schools in NW that have spaces. Suspect you are just looking at the new areas?
Can you PM me some of the schools you would recommend? I have mainly tried the areas of :

Rocky Ridge
Royal Oak
Tuscany
Edgemont
Scenic Acres
Dalhousie
Arbour Lake & Citadel (although still waiting on reply from Citadel School)

I think it was you that told me not all schools are on the fraser report so I have just printed up the Calgary Board or Education 11-12 test results to try and go through that. Private isn't out of the question either, totally lost still.

Appreciate any help
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:02 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering how all this registration lark works. Are you able to register your kids now if you don't yet have a Calgary address? Do they put you to the bottom of the list? Or, do they keep a few spaces free so that people who move to calgary can get spaces? What happens to people who come over half way through the school year - can they just squeeze the kids in at the designated school? Does it matter if you get your kids into a school but then can't find a place to live in that area?

Just being nosey really.

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Mar 5th 2013 at 4:04 am.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Just wondering how all this registration lark works. Are you able to register your kids now if you don't yet have a Calgary address? Do they put you to the bottom of the list? Or, do they keep a few spaces free so that people who move to calgary can get spaces? What happens to people who come over half way through the school year - can they just squeeze the kids in at the designated school? Does it matter if you get your kids into a school but then can't find a place to live in that area?

Just being nosey really.
From what I can gather, you cannot register your kids for the public system until you make an appointment at head office, and they can't designate your school until you have an address. They will always get you in somewhere, but if the school across the road is full, they will bus your kids to the next available school which isn't always a place you would normally choose.

You basically can't get in until you have an address, and once you get an address there is no guarantee you will get in to the closest school. Bit of a catch 22, it seems that you need to get into the good schools from Kindegarten as the kids all move up through the school that way, unfortunately we've missed that boat.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Can you PM me some of the schools you would recommend? I have mainly tried the areas of :

Rocky Ridge
Royal Oak
Tuscany
Edgemont
Scenic Acres
Dalhousie
Arbour Lake & Citadel (although still waiting on reply from Citadel School)

I think it was you that told me not all schools are on the fraser report so I have just printed up the Calgary Board or Education 11-12 test results to try and go through that. Private isn't out of the question either, totally lost still.

Appreciate any help
Most of those don't surprise me as they are full, although I thought I heard Edgemount wasn't

Am very very surprised to hear Scenic Acres aren't taking kids

Will Hawkwood or EW coffin not take kids- they are both good schools.

Marion Carson would also have spaces.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gryphea
Most of those don't surprise me as they are full, although I thought I heard Edgemount wasn't

Am very very surprised to hear Scenic Acres aren't taking kids

Will Hawkwood or EW coffin not take kids- they are both good schools.

Marion Carson would also have spaces.
Oh yes, I heard EW Coffin was good, forgot I hadn't heard back from them either. Will follow that up. Edgemont was definately full as that was the very first one we called

Don't think I saw Marion Carson, thanks I'll look that one up.

If you think of anymore please let me know. Whats your opinion on private schools .... worth paying for or not?

Cheers
Wayne