British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Schools (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/schools-188720/)

colin.helen Nov 3rd 2003 6:33 pm

Schools

I really want to find out more about schooling in Canada.

For example when would my son Harry born July 2000 start school? When are the school holidays? Does the school year run September to August like the UK?

Generally what is the standard of education in Canada, better or worse?

Thank you

Helen

tallperson Nov 5th 2003 1:57 am

Re: Schools

Originally posted by colin.helen

For example when would my son Harry born July 2000 start school? When are the school holidays? Does the school year run September to August like the UK?

Thank you

Helen
Hi Helen

I guess it varies from province to province but we are in Quebec so I can tell you what it is like here.

They start school at 5 with the cut off date being september 30th so Harry would start in 2005.

The term dates are very different to UK with no half terms. Here at least they run from the last week of August to 20th december with the odd 'inset' day and bank holiday off and then 5th January to end of June with 1 week in March and 2 days at Easter.

We have been very disappointed with the schools here. OUr daughter is 5 so had done 1 year of schooling in UK having started reception at 4. Here because they start at 5 she went into reception again and the most exciting thing she had done in 6 weeks was a sponge painting and there were no plans for the whole year for any reading, writing or maths. The school wouldn't let her go into grade 1 as although the capabilities are there she is still only 5 and they couldn't see beyond that.

So after much agonising she is now in a private school in grade 1 which she loves and is much more the standard of year 1 in uk, although a bit extreme as she now learns spanish and has 1 hour of homework every night but she is finally happy.

So as I said maybe it varies across the country and maybe we were unlucky with her 1st school but they definitely start 1 year later and the term dates are very different.

They also have very definite 'catchment areas', you call the local school board, give your address and are then told which school you can go to. You can apply to traansfer to another school but only if there is a place and the child still has to be enrolled in the cathcment school. If he does transfer he can stay there for 1 year once he has started but if the next year all the places are filled with kids from the catchment area he would lose his place.

I did find some websites before coming over but the info. was out-of date and not very specific. If you have any more questions feel free to repost and I'll reply.

HTH

Penny

ClareBC Nov 5th 2003 4:25 am

Originally posted by colin.helen

Thank you

Helen
Not only does it differ by province, it is also different by city ..

In BC the age is from January, so your son will start the September in the year that he is 5. It is a bit of a pain for January born kids!

If you are going to live here for good, why compare systems? I have observed that by the time they finish university - they are at the same level. But they will have advanced inter personal skills and a greater sense of "community" and more likely to volunteer etc.

I know a bright kid in BC who has advanced two years (compared to her age) She found out that she could contest the grade she was placed in, sat exams, and was shifted up a grade (or two depending on the subject) So she will be doing the equivalent of her A levels at 16. So she will continue at high school, but earn credits against the first year at university! However, I do not know how universal that is.

In the city we live in, we pay a small fee (currently $25pa) but high school kids fees are around $500pa.

I can only comment on kindergarten (which is only 2.5hrs a day). Here it is NOT mandatory ( :confused: ) so some people keep their little darlings back until they are 6. Yes, in the UK he could have started a year earlier, but I am v. happy with his progress here.

I have family in the south of england, they exisit on supply teachers (as no teacher can afford to live there!), or sometimes no teacher... :( They have photocopied books (school can't afford the books), and the bullying is chronic. But it really depends on the area you are coming from, and the area you are moving to.

The school year is roughly the same as here, but the breaks between the terms are longer, and the mid term breaks shorter. Expect about 8 "Pro D" days pa (professional development for the teachers, therefore no school. )

Oh, when you get here, you will not believe the amount of fundraising the schools do ... :(

Another thing, just remembered, when you come over here you can have your child(ren) sit a test to see if they can advance a year or two. This might be something you might want to keep in mind.

Clare

samsx2ht Nov 6th 2003 12:17 pm

Originally posted by ClareBC

If you are going to live here for good, why compare systems? I have observed that by the time they finish university - they are at the same level. But they will have advanced inter personal skills and a greater sense of "community" and more likely to volunteer etc.

I
Clare
well said - I also think that it is not always the best policy to compare when moving to a different country, I say not always because sometimes it can be a positive thing.
C

John Thom Don Nov 6th 2003 3:46 pm

I know this doesn't provide any specific help, but I'll think that you'll find that the UK education system has a more involved and structured education system at the early ages than any other country in the world so I'm not surprised that previous poster was disappointed with activities in year 1.

However, it does appear that the other systems are much more successful at accelerating kids from say 12 to finishing school, so the kids end up no better off in the UK despite the fact that the first few years seemed more productive.

Hope this helps a bit

dazed&confused Nov 6th 2003 5:09 pm

This is a great post.

I suppose the only way of gaining experiences of the schools for the kids is actually letting the kids go for it, it's doesnt bother me, because as someone else has pointed out they still get the education but it's just done a little bit different.

My question would be, does anyone have any experiences of how their children were accepted due to the accents etc. and being that little bit different than the majority of the other children?

Remember don't wait for your ship to come in! swim out to meet the bloody thing! :)