school query

Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:48 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school query

Originally Posted by enak
Hi, I'm new here but similar situation (Grammar school kid), so I thought I'd mention that we were told to try and get our child in to the "IB" programme (International Baccalaureat). Apparently some state schools do do it. It is supposedly more suited for the grammar school kids (and a bit more internationally portable) and the first streams start at Grade 9.
We're talking Ontario though so might be a bit different.
Probably good advice, especially if you think you might end up back in the UK/Europe.

Welcome to BE!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:58 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docrcc
Still in the UK in an all boys school with 1200 pupils. The differences will be huge!
By the way have you had the chance to visit Wainwright yet?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:55 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docrcc
Still in the UK in an all boys school with 1200 pupils. The differences will be huge!
Scary isn't it?!! We had quite a big change really as our 12 year old moved from a very small area where he had known everyone from KG in a small Cathilic Primary to quite a big school going to Grade 12. I think he has made the transition better than I have, on the whole!

We talked constantly though, the year before the move, about possible feelings and how scary it might be, and how great it would be for us as a family, and him in particular, if this all worked out well. I think it added to his expectations and smoothed the way somewhat. Very best of luck
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Seems reasonably specific?
Is that the name of the school or the name of the town/city?

As the OP seems reluctant to answer the queries posed, I will leave it for the OP to determine what the correct answers are.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:03 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Is that the name of the school or the name of the town/city?

As the OP seems reluctant to answer the queries posed, I will leave it for the OP to determine what the correct answers are.
I assumed it was Wainwright AB, even more rural than AC-land...

But fair point, I don't know.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:50 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm new here but similar situation (Grammar school kid), so I thought I'd mention that we were told to try and get our child in to the "IB" programme (International Baccalaureat). Apparently some state schools do do it. It is supposedly more suited for the grammar school kids (and a bit more internationally portable) and the first streams start at Grade 9.
If your child is wanting to do the IB programme grades 9 and 10 will be honors classes and 11 and 12 IB it is possible to do partial IB too. My child stopped bothering with school mainly due her waste of space drop out friends So she went from full honors to 2 IB subjects. silly girl
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

docrcc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shard
I assumed it was Wainwright AB, even more rural than AC-land...

But fair point, I don't know.
Yes, it is Wainwright Alberta and I have visited before accepting job.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

docrcc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankd for advice. I will look into that.