Reload this Page >

School buses in Ontario

School buses in Ontario

Old Oct 29th 2020, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

EngCan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School buses in Ontario

Hi Everyone,

We will be moving to London, Ontario in December, we have 2 children, 6 and 3.

My daughter, who is 6, will be attending school starting in January. We will be renting a house to start and some say she will be bused to school.

My main concern is safety, I'm just not comfortable sending her off on a bus.
Just looking to be reassured that it is safe?
Also, my son will be starting next September and he will only be 4, do parents actually put a 4 year old on a bus to school?
Who takes them to class and such?

Thanks in advance.

Robyn
Old Oct 29th 2020, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School buses in Ontario

Originally Posted by EngCan
Hi Everyone,

My daughter, who is 6, will be attending school starting in January. We will be renting a house to start and some say she will be bused to school.

Also, my son will be starting next September and he will only be 4, do parents actually put a 4 year old on a bus to school?

Thanks in advance.

Robyn
Not an expert and no first hand experience, but I can confim London has LOADS of school buses and it is the norm that kids use them. The traffic laws ensure bus pick up and drop off is as safe as possible and there are adult crossing patrols at most crossing who are VERY enthusiatic with hi-viz, sogns and whistles!
Old Oct 29th 2020, 10:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Sending children to school on the bus is normal in Canada if you live far enough from the school to qualify )opens in new tab) http://www.mybigyellowbus.ca/uploads...ligibility.pdf
Elementary aged students that reside greater than 1.6 kms from the school site • Secondary aged students that reside greater than 3.2 kms from the school site
.Many people want to send them on the bus rather than having to drive them in (to the gate only), especially if they have to go to work. You usually have to register for the service..
Homepage | My Big Yellow Bus
School bus safety
Some information on JK students (opens in new tab) http://www.mybigyellowbus.ca/uploads...enstudents.pdf
Good luck with the move - not long now!

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 29th 2020 at 10:51 pm. Reason: wrong school board link..
Old Oct 29th 2020, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Millions of Canadian children have used school buses all over Canada for many years. In rural areas that may mean journeys of an hour or more each way.

They're as safe as they possibly can be.

The only time children are not on school buses seems to be if they live within a community with municipal transit, or outside a community and have less than a certain distance from the school ......... that seems to be around 3 km distant. Then they have to make their own way by walking/cycling, parent driving, or municipal transit.

Here in Vancouver, the only school buses I see are either for disabled children or from one of the private schools bringing children from neighbouring cities into Vancouver (if there are enough families to make it worth while!). The public schools expect the pupils to make their own way, with parents responsible for kindergarten kids from age 4 to 6, when many of them have shorter days.
Old Oct 29th 2020, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

EngCan is an unknown quantity at this point

I took the school bus when I was a kid, but I was 12 when I started, my main concern was because they're so young.

Thank you tho, you've all made me feel a bit better.
Old Oct 29th 2020, 10:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I took the school bus when I was a kid, but I was 12 when I started, my main concern was because they're so young.

Thank you tho, you've all made me feel a bit better.
If it helps, my son was 3.5 when he took the school mini bus to kindergarten in Hong Kong (with a bus Mum on it.. I did my duty every week, LOL) - all the children were under 5, and loved it! It's bound to be a bit scary initially, both for you and your children - but you can always opt to drive them instead..
I have no experience of school bus services in Canada, but know people who drive them.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 29th 2020 at 10:57 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2020, 11:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see. No seat belts, no headrests/neck brace things. I know of one company that doesn't teach the drivers how to reverse, they are just told not to get into a situation where they have to back up.
great fun.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Robyn
If you aren't comfortable, and to be honest I wasn't when we moved here, get a house within walking distance of school, or you can drive them yourself if you prefer - the bus is an option, it's not mandatory.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:35 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Let's see. No seat belts, no headrests/neck brace things. I know of one company that doesn't teach the drivers how to reverse, they are just told not to get into a situation where they have to back up.
great fun.
Despite which, of course, children riding a school bus are very, very much less likely to suffer injury or fatality on their way to school than if they're being driven by a parent or guardian or cycling or walking. I am somewhat passionate about school bus safety, for both passengers and other road users (BEers who've been here a while will know why...) so it's not lightly that I say to the OP that there's absolutely no reason to be concerned about putting a six year old on a bus. My eldest walked to school for his first kindergarten year, but after that year the school boundaries were all moved around and our closest school was no longer an option, so since then my three kids have all been bussed to school from JK (4-year-olds) onwards. When the weather's been reasonable, and they've been old enough to do so responsibly, they've walked or cycled. I don't think, in the 14 years to date that I've had kids in the elementary public school system here, we have ever driven to school at the beginning of the school day. The chaos of other parents wilfully failing to observe the parking/drop-off protocols just isn't worth the hassle, IMO. High school is different - the bus criteria are a little different and although we live close enough to walk, if it's pissing with rain or snowing a blizzard I have offered to drive the reluctant teenagers on occasion!

Last edited by Oakvillian; Oct 30th 2020 at 2:47 am.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

In Canada since 1984, there's been 23 school bus deaths and 10,480 injuries - I'd say that suggests it's a very safe mode of travel but I can understand your concern..
Not sure how the injury figure is collected. It might be that if your kid falls whilst getting off the bus it's put down as an injury..No idea!
Old Oct 30th 2020, 4:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to the assurances given above, I would point out that school busses in Canada and the US are a peculiar design compared to other busses - they travel slowly, are painted bright yellow, and sit remarkably high off the ground, so even if there is a genuine accident involving a school bus, most vehicles, including minivans and pickup trucks will hit the bus below the passenger compartment. The seats are themselves padded, front and back, and the gap between seats relatively small to form a "cell" in the event a bus is in a collision. So despite being slow, archaic and without seat belts, they are remarkably safe for the children traveling on them.

One or two US states started requiring that seatbelts be fitted on school busses, but the reports are that there has been no improvement in safety, as statistically school busses are already extremely safe.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 30th 2020 at 4:19 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In Britain of recent years,"The School Run" has become seen as normal. In many countries, including Canada, children are bused to school. Normal !
Old Oct 30th 2020, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In addition to the assurances given above, I would point out that school busses in Canada and the US are a peculiar design compared to other busses - they travel slowly, are painted bright yellow, and sit remarkably high off the ground, so even if there is a genuine accident involving a school bus, most vehicles, including minivans and pickup trucks will hit the bus below the passenger compartment. The seats are themselves padded, front and back, and the gap between seats relatively small to form a "cell" in the event a bus is in a collision. So despite being slow, archaic and without seat belts, they are remarkably safe for the children traveling on them.

One or two US states started requiring that seatbelts be fitted on school busses, but the reports are that there has been no improvement in safety, as statistically school busses are already extremely safe.
I remember in the early 1990's when the padded seats and the new school buses (for then) started arriving at my school district, the padded seats were so high too. So much different than than older buses they were replacing.

The old buses from Crown Super Coach had seats like this the seats in the buses were largely unchanged in my area until the early 1990's. ( I actually wouldn't be surprised if the buses I was riding in the 80's and early 90's were the same buses by parents were riding in the 60's lol)

We always had fun on the school buses growing up for the most part.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 30th 2020 at 5:15 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
In Britain of recent years,"The School Run" has become seen as normal. In many countries, including Canada, children are bused to school. Normal !
Maybe in Scotland, that's not the norm in England though, or at least not where I live. 90% of kids either cycle, walk or get the bus to school, very few are taken by parents.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the area. There are toffs and non-toffs, but The School Run is common. At some primary schools in an affluent area you cannot get near the schools in a car !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.