Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Scary but exciting - heading to Calgary, Alberta

Scary but exciting - heading to Calgary, Alberta

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Des and Chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scary but exciting - heading to Calgary, Alberta

2012 has arrived.... We are moving to Calgary area in July and now we hav hi 2012 we are beginning to feel the pressure.
Chris is a nurse and is currently downloading forms to get his nursing qualifications recognised in Alberta (any experiences good or bad on how easy this is?) We move in July 2012 and really can't afford to be out of work long (having not sold our UK home) - when is it best for chris to start looking for a job starting in July or August? His experience in oncology and stroke research would, we hope, make him reasonably desirable. Also, we know he will have to sit some form of nursing examination within 18 months of starting Canadian practise- does anyone know how salaries are affected prior to and after passing this exam?
I , Des, am a primary school teacher and am doing the same re teaching even though I know prospects are not good (unless anyone knows differently). I thought at least getting my qualifications recognised is a must anyway. Again any tips on the pros and cons of this would be much appreciated.
On a completely different note.... We will be renting in the first instance, probably for up to a year. What kind / type of references are required by most? Has anyone experienced arranging thei rented accommodation before they leave the uk or do most people go to a hotel for a few nights....and then try secure somewhere in the first few days. We like to be organised and this worries us somewhat as hotel costs can soon escalate.... We'd rather have somewhere sorted before we went to be honest and would appreciate the pros and cons of this.
Even writing this post has sent my belly buzzing....yikes!
Any help appreciated
Des and Chris
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scary but exciting - heading to Calgary, Alberta

Just wanted to say hi.

I guess my only advice for both of you, in the professions you have, is to try to get as much recognized as you can, before you arrive.

Getting professional qualifications recognized through the various agencies here can be painfully slow - and whether either of your professions would allow you to work in the meantime, while you await confirmation/registration, I am not sure. Especially if funds are tight. Otherwise, you may end up doing what many others do and end up working in retail for 6 months!

Renting a hotel suite for a week while you find your feet might be one idea. Not sure if you know the city and know your way around yet? There are a few members on this forum that rent out a basement for short-term "new arrivals" - that might work. Regular rentals seem to be available from the first of a month, and usually you sign up for 12 months, though sometimes you may find a 6-month rental.

Others may have answers to your questions.

Good luck - exciting times.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

When you say he is downloading forms to get his qualifications recognised, has he already been accepted by the Alberta nursing board (CARNA I think it's called), or are these forms to apply to CARNA?

If you have not yet applied to CARNA I would get your skates on as I believe this isn't a quick process and you may find you'll be waiting a long time. I could be mistaken but I think you can't work unless you have been registered with CARNA (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, I'll stop with the negative waves and say great news about the upcoming move and good luck
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

TheKellys5 is on a distinguished road

Hi
Good luck with the move. We fly out to Calgary in March. We opted to rent a basement from one of the BE members, as hotel prices can be, as you say, expensive (we are a family of 5).
PM me if you want details.

Anyone know of any good car rental companies? We need a 7/8 seater for a week or so, and need to compare prices to securing it via Canadian Affair from this end prior to flying out?!?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:41 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi TheKellys5. You could try Enterprise right here in Cochrane. I don't know for sure but I've heard they are usually cheaper than hiring a vehicle from the airport. It may save you having to take one all the way back to the airport once you buy one too.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

TheKellys5 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TheThornes
Hi TheKellys5. You could try Enterprise right here in Cochrane. I don't know for sure but I've heard they are usually cheaper than hiring a vehicle from the airport. It may save you having to take one all the way back to the airport once you buy one too.
Thanks C, will pm you.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Des and Chris
We will be renting in the first instance, probably for up to a year. What kind / type of references are required by most? Has anyone experienced arranging thei rented accommodation before they leave the uk or do most people go to a hotel for a few nights....and then try secure somewhere in the first few days. We like to be organised and this worries us somewhat as hotel costs can soon escalate.... We'd rather have somewhere sorted before we went to be honest and would appreciate the pros and cons of this.
Even writing this post has sent my belly buzzing....yikes!
Any help appreciated
Des and Chris
The best places for rentals are rentfaster.ca and kijiji - you can search areas and options but you can also post what you are looking for and landlords may contact you - it will also give you an idea of costs etc. We were lucky and stayed with friends when we arrived but there are lots of hotels that have appartments with bedroom, kitchenette / living room that you can rent by the night but arent all that cheap. We stayed at the Lakeview Signature Inn by the airport - fine if you have a car and probably cheaper than staying downtown. Good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:54 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

We stayed at the Staybridge Suites for the first month- great location on Barlow Trail, close to the airport, easy access to the Deerfoot and Downtown.

Really nice hotel with great suites, swimming pool and hot tub, free laundry and breakfast, plus they also do a free buffet 3 nights a week.

I'd recommend staying somewhere like this to start off, however you will have to book up very early for July as it's Stampede and hotel rooms are pretty much like gold dust

All the best
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Des and Chris

The process for CARNA for me took about 16 weeks from initial application to CARNA and receipt of a letter informing me I was eligible for a Temporary License (this can be renewed every 6 months only 3 times, 18 months total as you said). The CRNE I believe is only sat 3 times a year (don't quote me on that one!!!).
For me I was paid as a Graduate Nurse until I sat and passed the CRNE, I was then given back pay. This I was told was only given when you passed the exam first time, subsequent attempts did not qualify for back pay. Thank goodness I passed first time. I found the Lippencott CRNE book and the CARNA CRNE guide very helpful.
All of your nursing educational transcripts need to be sent to CARNA from the NMC, Universities etc. They will not accept a forwarded transcript from you.

The cost for me was approximately $210 for my initial Temp permit
15 pounds per transcript
Approx 25 pounds for NMC

The cost of my full CARNA permit is $504 per year.

There are some courses provided by AHS for International nurses to help them with the CRNE, some are free and some not, so check that out. I attended the NOT free one ($750) and was then told I could have attended the free one!!!! There are also some changes being made to the CRNE and it may be worth reading the CARNA website.

Hope this helps you?
Good luck
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL we aren't TOO scary a bunch out here!
Seriously though, I remember the wth thoughts when we emigrated!
My friend works at the Foothills hospital in Calgary, and I am sure she can give you some pointers re working in nursing.

Good luck with it all and if we can help in any way, even just a friendly face and a cuppa when you arrive, give us a shout!
x
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
Hi Des and Chris

The process for CARNA for me took about 16 weeks from initial application to CARNA and receipt of a letter informing me I was eligible for a Temporary License (this can be renewed every 6 months only 3 times, 18 months total as you said). The CRNE I believe is only sat 3 times a year (don't quote me on that one!!!).
For me I was paid as a Graduate Nurse until I sat and passed the CRNE, I was then given back pay. This I was told was only given when you passed the exam first time, subsequent attempts did not qualify for back pay. Thank goodness I passed first time. I found the Lippencott CRNE book and the CARNA CRNE guide very helpful.
All of your nursing educational transcripts need to be sent to CARNA from the NMC, Universities etc. They will not accept a forwarded transcript from you.

The cost for me was approximately $210 for my initial Temp permit
15 pounds per transcript
Approx 25 pounds for NMC

The cost of my full CARNA permit is $504 per year.

There are some courses provided by AHS for International nurses to help them with the CRNE, some are free and some not, so check that out. I attended the NOT free one ($750) and was then told I could have attended the free one!!!! There are also some changes being made to the CRNE and it may be worth reading the CARNA website.

Hope this helps you?
Good luck

I am starting to work thorugh the process for CARNA - thank you for the insight and time line. It is very helpful - I may return to you for further information!?

Christopher
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

I am starting to work thorugh the process for CARNA - thank you for the insight and time line. It is very helpful - I may return to you for further information!?

Christopher
Hi Christopher
If I can help you that is not a problem.
CARNA are making some changes to the CRNE from 2015, as stated on an e-mail from them. Info will be on their website.
Good luck
Mandy

Last edited by Mad Jockette; Jan 4th 2012 at 11:24 am. Reason: more info
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
Just wanted to say hi.

I guess my only advice for both of you, in the professions you have, is to try to get as much recognized as you can, before you arrive.
We are on to this now.... We are both educated chaps but my word getting your head round the ruddy forms is a task in itself!

Thanks for the support!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
LOL we aren't TOO scary a bunch out here!
Seriously though, I remember the wth thoughts when we emigrated!
My friend works at the Foothills hospital in Calgary, and I am sure she can give you some pointers re working in nursing.

Good luck with it all and if we can help in any way, even just a friendly face and a cuppa when you arrive, give us a shout!
x
Thanks Lucy, any pointers your friend can give will be very much appreciated and as fir the cuppa.... Get the kettle on towards the end of July!

Many thanks
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Lucy, any pointers your friend can give will be very much appreciated and as fir the cuppa.... Get the kettle on towards the end of July!

Many thanks
Will see what advice she can give.....and I am told I make a mean chocolate cake, so will have that ready along with the tea!
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.