Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Savings Plans in Canada - mutual funds.?

Savings Plans in Canada - mutual funds.?

Old Dec 31st 2019, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Savings Plans in Canada - mutual funds.?

You can pay 18% of your gross salary into an individual RRSP upto an annual limit of $26,500. The maximum employee contribution to a CPP is $2749 with an employer matching the same. That's assuming you have an annual salary greater than $57, 400. There is no option in Canada that allows 100% contributions upto 40K as available in the UK
Old Dec 31st 2019, 4:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Savings Plans in Canada - mutual funds.?

Originally Posted by danescroft
I am very grateful for all the replies re RESP. RRSP and mutualfunds ets. and as suggested by several replies I’ve have gone online and find Questrade seem the best bet - low fees and good conditions generally. I,ve also since read that instead of investing in mutual funds a good alternative is investing in index funds I.e tracking the global index or the S and P 500. One well known platform, again with low charges seem to be Vanguard.
Can I ask one other thing. - The Canadian Pension plan. Have read up on how it works but if an Expat arrives at age 47 with family, obtains residency at and at age 50 and starts payments to the CPP. - is he able to make additional supplementary payments? Equally important, is that a good investment?
I read that in due course the max CPP pension will increase to 33.3% if average earnings, with appropriate increase in employee/ employer contributions.
I am asking this really for the benefit of my son, wife and family who immigrated to BC just over 3 yrs ago. My son,s wife is a nurse working for the state but my son is a somewhat poorly paid self employed physiotherapist who only gets paid when the clinic where he works, gives him clients. He therefore gets no pension, paid hols or sickness benefits. Re the CPP scheme it s not like the much better UK scheme which gives a fairly high min pension even if say only 15 yrs NI contributed. Any advice will be much appreciated. I,ll try also to post a separate message on the subject. Thanks so much.

Do Revenue Canada count him as self employed or employed? If he works FOR a clinic, he may be counted as employed, he should check!

Regardless, as a self employed person your son has to pay into CPP if he earns over $3,500 a year - he pays both the employer and employee parts but receives a tax credit https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...-employed.html

Apart from CPP your son and wife should qualify (at 65+) for Old Age Security and possibly Guaranteed Income Supplement. OAS is based on the number of years you have resided in Canada, not contributions.
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...-security.html and general info and https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-c...nt-income.html

Don't forget there are also TFSA's for savings https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...s-account.html