Saskatoon

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 6:41 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Saskatoon

Going to be there on and off for the next couple of years, initially for 6 weeks this Nov/Dec.

What's the place like - looks a bit grim on Google earth - although I am from Newcastle on Tyne though - things to do? Nights out? Culture? That sort of stuff.

I understand I'll be staying on one of the Obasa Suites and working in the University area on the East bank.

Ideas?

(It's a bit of a trek from Dubai it's got to be said, 14 hours to Toronto, then 3.5 hours to Saskatoon).
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 7:00 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saskatoon

Originally Posted by Kix
Going to be there on and off for the next couple of years, initially for 6 weeks this Nov/Dec.

What's the place like - looks a bit grim on Google earth - although I am from Newcastle on Tyne though - things to do? Nights out? Culture? That sort of stuff.

I understand I'll be staying on one of the Obasa Suites and working in the University area on the East bank.

Ideas?

(It's a bit of a trek from Dubai it's got to be said, 14 hours to Toronto, then 3.5 hours to Saskatoon).
Yes, very grim and soon to be very cold. The university seems nice enough. It has a big farm with lots of animals. The nightlife from what I could see, was also grim.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 7:04 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Oink
Yes, very grim and soon to be very cold. The university seems nice enough. It has a big farm with lots of animals. The nightlife from what I could see, was also grim.
My god. If the highlight is a big farm with lots of animals, then that's a worry.

I don't mind the cold, could do with some snow after the 35-50c days here.

Well I'm sure I'll find a dive bar somewhere - probably with another Geordie in there!
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:09 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I've never lived in Saskatoon but visited many times over the years. I'm sure you'll love it, and welcome!
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:47 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Thanks,

Going on apartment prices ($950/month for a 2 bed condo), it appears that cost of living is relatively cheap - so at least that means more beer money when I'm there! LOL
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Thanks,

Going on apartment prices ($950/month for a 2 bed condo), it appears that cost of living is relatively cheap - so at least that means more beer money when I'm there! LOL
Have you looked at the price of beer in Saskatchewan?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 2:01 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Have you looked at the price of beer in Saskatchewan?
Kindly enlighten me.... It's usually $8-14/pint here...
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 2:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Kindly enlighten me.... It's usually $8-14/pint here...
You might want to try the Legions.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:22 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

You might want to try the Legions.
Sorry, I mean in Dubai, what's the going rate in Toon?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Prices can vary dependent on the establishment you are drinking in. Also depends on the type of drink as well. Bottle of domestic beer around the $3 mark and up. Imports bottles $4 to $8.
Pint of Guinness from $7 to $10.
Spirits from $4 to whatever depending on brand and type.
http://www.saskliquor.com/SaskLiquor...g&categories=3

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05...n_3268673.html
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:51 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Prices can vary dependent on the establishment you are drinking in. Also depends on the type of drink as well. Bottle of domestic beer around the $3 mark and up. Imports bottles $4 to $8.
Pint of Guinness from $7 to $10.
Spirits from $4 to whatever depending on brand and type.
http://www.saskliquor.com/SaskLiquor...g&categories=3

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05...n_3268673.html
Good job i don't drink Guinness. bet I can't get a pint of Strongbow there :-(
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Good job i don't drink Guinness. bet I can't get a pint of Strongbow there :-(
In Saskatoon I think a pint of Strongbow is easily purchased
http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/281/30415/Saskatoon/Pubs
http://www.yelp.ca/search?cflt=pubs&...askatoon%2C+SK
http://www.saskatoonnightout.com/bars/all
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kix
To change the subject a little, why do people go to Dubai? I can understand the attraction of going to a shithole in the desert if they have gambling, hookers and cheap booze, eg Las Vegas, but I just don’t see the point of Dubai?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To change the subject a little, why do people go to Dubai? I can understand the attraction of going to a shithole in the desert if they have gambling, hookers and cheap booze, eg Las Vegas, but I just don’t see the point of Dubai?
The money from the jobs available well providing you are qualified and not one of the workers from certain countries that are not well treated in Dubai.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The money from the jobs available well providing you are qualified and not one of the workers from certain countries that are not well treated in Dubai.
I mean tourists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.