salary check!

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

thepeacock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: salary check!

ok so my guess is a Canadian earning $45k per annum is much better off than a person in the UK making £25K p.a. right?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:42 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thepeacock
ok so my guess is a Canadian earning $45k per annum is much better off than a person in the UK making £25K p.a. right?
If the person in Canada is living downtown Vancouver whilst the person in UK is living in small town Yorkshire then i would say no.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

thepeacock is an unknown quantity at this point

so you picked the most extreme case as opposed to the average... So on average.......

If I lived in Merthyr Tydville £25k I'd be a lord...
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

so you picked the most extreme case as opposed to the average... So on average.......

If I lived in Merthyr Tydville £25k I'd be a lord...
Ok, in all seriousness, it is a very subjective question and would rely on specifics to glean a realistic answer.

Where would life be located on such incomes?
What is considered "better off"?
What lifestyle are you used to (rural, city, dining out, cars, how many kids, etc)?
And so on.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

mrwilson is an unknown quantity at this point

I was kinda hoping someone would say, you know what mrwilson, C$40,000 will buy you the same kind of things in Regina that your £25,000 is buying you right now in Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Many people have mentioned that the cost of living when all said and done, generally evens out as the same UK v CA, so with that in mind, I should hope to achieve the equivalent salary to be able to afford a similar lifestyle. I didn't think it was as cut and dry as to use the exchange rate (which has closed 20% over last 10 years) to work out what I salary I should look for. We will be taking savings which will help plug any gaps, and my wife will look for work which will increase our household income. But we cannot rely on her gaining employment.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:57 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by mrwilson
I was kinda hoping someone would say, you know what mrwilson, C$40,000 will buy you the same kind of things in Regina that your £25,000 is buying you right now in Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Many people have mentioned that the cost of living when all said and done, generally evens out as the same UK v CA, so with that in mind, I should hope to achieve the equivalent salary to be able to afford a similar lifestyle. I didn't think it was as cut and dry as to use the exchange rate (which has closed 20% over last 10 years) to work out what I salary I should look for. We will be taking savings which will help plug any gaps, and my wife will look for work which will increase our household income. But we cannot rely on her gaining employment.
I'd suggest you do some in-depth due diligence into where you're looking live in Canada. Find out the cost of property/rentals in the areas you like. Research the cost of utilities in the area/province. Look into grocery costs. Home/Car insurance costs. Vehicle running costs. And so on.

How much does the above mean you'll need to earn (after tax) to live the way you'd be happy?

You get the drift.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:01 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Well MRWilson howabout doing this:

Find out what take home pay is on $40k CAD by using the taxtips calculator here: http://www.taxtips.ca/calculators/taxcalculator.htm

Work out what you will need to spend on rent/mortgage (www.realtor.ca will help on this).

Work out whether you will need to buy a car. Likely yes. Only you know whether you will be bringing funds over to cover this or not. Used cars are not cheap in Canada so figure spending at least $10k.

Resign yourself to spending $2-3k p.a. on car insurance.

Figure spending $300 a month (averaged across the year on heating/cooling)

Figure spending $100 a month or so on TV / Internet. (could be less, could be more).

Assume groceries will largely even out with the UK in cost. Some you win, some you lose.

See what that all leaves you with on your $40k. How does that compare with your budget/standard of living in the UK? You can now answer the 'is this going to work question'.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

mrwilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your ideas and help with external websites on this subject. I really appreciate your time.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with the blanket statement on car car insurance.

I do know Newfoundland can be expensive and certainly many personal factors come into play, but our current cost is 1100 bucks (maximum no claims applied) for full coverage on two vehicles registered in NB.

Last year our electric bill (heating by electric) was 2400 bucks (house is 2000 sq ft + basement); the house is certainly well insulated.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Sure, these are the things the OP needs to consider during negotiation. I personally would decline a $40k salary in their circumstances unless I badly wanted to come here.
You are in Vancouver though aren't you? SK is probably cheaper to live in...
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:36 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

It really varies, but no on average I don't you'd be much better off on $45k in Canada. A multiple on salary for someone moving from like to like (eg London to Vancouver) and wanting same standard of living would be in the 1.8 to 2 range.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Also where in SK?

I'm in Saskatoon. I find food shopping here is quite expensive when compared to Ontario.

Renting a property can be quite expensive too. Dependiong on what you want and where.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 11:42 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterF
Also where in SK?

I'm in Saskatoon. I find food shopping here is quite expensive when compared to Ontario.

Renting a property can be quite expensive too. Depending on what you want and where.

I've recently moved from Ontario (just outside GTA) to Saskatoon would agree with the commented about prices (for some items). However, I,m paying less in rent than I was when I rented in Oakville 3 years ago. I'm also in one of the expensive areas for rents.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that Saskatchewan is as close you can get to a communist state as well.

Evertything is controlled by the local governement, I thought Ontario was bad for competition (or lack of it), here is worse.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 12:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterF
Don't forget that Saskatchewan is as close you can get to a communist state as well.

Evertything is controlled by the local governement, I thought Ontario was bad for competition (or lack of it), here is worse.
Which communist state is Saskatchewan close to? Montana?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.