Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are Salaries Low in Canada ?

Are Salaries Low in Canada ?

Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Salaries Low in Canada ?

Originally Posted by Koolio
sorry bud not bragging about high Salaries. Just pay a very high rate of tax: 15K, not to mention the tax on the bonuses want to evaluate if I can channelise my work ethic elsewhere in a different economy and have higher net savings.

Anyone can pickup a high salary from the job market if there professional in there trade with good years of exp, but when you get hit by higher tax bands, then the truth hurts.
Bud, don't come to Canada expecting to pay any less tax than the UK. Nor any more to be fair. Of all the reasons to emigrate here, thats one of the dumbest.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry bud not bragging about high Salaries. Just pay a very high rate of tax: 15K, not to mention the tax on the bonuses want to evaluate if I can channelise my work ethic elsewhere in a different economy and have higher net savings.

Anyone can pickup a high salary from the job market if there professional in there trade with good years of exp, but when you get hit by higher tax bands, then the truth hurts.
Do you work for accenture? You could try saying "I want to work where I pay less tax" - it wouldn't hurt you know!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:18 pm
Banned

Koolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
What is the industry that you work in, or is analysing finance seniorly an industry in itself?

I must say, for a financial professional, you've worded your query very strangely.
Risk Analysis -Commodities trading
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:18 pm
Banned

Koolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Do you work for accenture? You could try saying "I want to work where I pay less tax" - it wouldn't hurt you know!
Hedge Funding
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

channelise???

Canada's tax brackets are on the Revenue Canada website. They vary slightly from Province to Province. As does pay.

You usually find that if you pay less tax then you have to save more of your income to cover what the extra taxes would have. Education, health, municipal services.

Talking about bonuses smacks of bragging to me.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Good God, man. We speak English in Canada, don't you know?

I should try to channelize your work ethic by swimming to France to look for work.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hedge Funding
Our hedges are self-sufficient.

And if you only pay 15k in tax in that benighted profession you should ask yourself if you're in the right line of work. Not exactly Master of the Universe rates is it?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Good God, man. We speak English in Canada, don't you know?

I should try to channelize your work ethic by swimming to France to look for work.
Haha,
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
channelise???

Canada's tax brackets are on the Revenue Canada website. They vary slightly from Province to Province. As does pay.

You usually find that if you pay less tax then you have to save more of your income to cover what the extra taxes would have. Education, health, municipal services.

If I can just literalize my mental thought stream for a moment, I don't think he's bragging. City 'masters of the universe' types earn so much that the the high earner tax bracket is so far behind them as to be meaningless.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by fledermaus
channelise???

thanks....

no bonuses are the norm in some industries especially in the investment sector. It's just a substitute for no pension contribution. Many players dont pay pensions because of high risk and uncertainty involved in the markets. The industry has always been volatile the bonus structures are just hype to soften the blow. Most of it goes in tax.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:28 pm

thanks....

no bonuses are the norm in some industries especially in the investment sector. It's just a substitute for no pension contribution. Many players dont pay pensions because of high risk and uncertainty involved in the markets. The industry has always been volatile the bonus structures are just hype to soften the blow. Most of it goes in tax.
Well 40% of it. A fair chunk, but not most.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure worrying about the tax you'll pay on your bonus will endear you to people and prompt them to give you meaningful advice, or at least the kind of advice you are looking for. If you're lucky enough to have a high salary, you have to accept that comes with high tax, regardless of the country you live in. At least I assume that's the way it works in most developed democracies?
I'm not a financial wizard, so can't offer you any advice there, but I'm an IT geek, and I see jobs advertised that offer less, more and about the same money I'm on in the UK, so I don't think the sweeping generalisation that salaries are lower in Canada is appropriate, although maybe UK financial analysts are paid more than the going rate?
I hope you find the answer you need.

Oh, I'm glad you're a senior financial analyst and not my kid's English teacher :-)
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:31 pm
Born again atheist

thanks....

Could you enlighten us as to the value of the Gaussian Copula function in estimating risk?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Our hedges are self-sufficient.

And if you only pay 15k in tax in that benighted profession you should ask yourself if you're in the right line of work. Not exactly Master of the Universe rates is it?
am just a mediocre in play some fund managers earn very easily and excessively over six figures, the perks my managers take, lol, its a lottery for some !
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
Not sure worrying about the tax you'll pay on your bonus will endear you to people and prompt them to give you meaningful advice, or at least the kind of advice you are looking for. If you're lucky enough to have a high salary, you have to accept that comes with high tax, regardless of the country you live in. At least I assume that's the way it works in most developed democracies?
I'm not a financial wizard, so can't offer you any advice there, but I'm an IT geek, and I see jobs advertised that offer less, more and about the same money I'm on in the UK, so I don't think the sweeping generalisation that salaries are lower in Canada is appropriate, although maybe UK financial analysts are paid more than the going rate?
I hope you find the answer you need.

Oh, I'm glad you're a senior financial analyst and not my kid's English teacher :-)
I suspect that the perception that 'salaries are lower in Canada' has a lot to do with the exchange rate. While it's where it is, salaries here are going to be quite favourable, at least compared to a few years ago when it was around 2.40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.