Is this a safe area in Toronto

Wikiposts

Is this a safe area in Toronto

Old Jun 6th 2005, 4:42 am
Just Joined

galinbg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this a safe area in Toronto

Hi group,

I have to check an apartment on 103 West Lodge Ave, Toronto the intersection of Queen and Lansdowne. Please, let me know if the area is safe because I heard mixed feedback.

Thanks

galinbg
Old Jun 6th 2005, 5:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a safe area in Toronto

Originally Posted by galinbg
Hi group,

I have to check an apartment on 103 West Lodge Ave, Toronto the intersection of Queen and Lansdowne. Please, let me know if the area is safe because I heard mixed feedback.

Thanks

galinbg
We all have different levels of tolerance for sketchiness and that area is no worse than Brixton.

The area is called Parkdale. The dominant feature of the area is the mental hospital. It used to provide long term accomodation but there was an initiative called "Care in the Community" under which the patients were kicked out to roam the streets. It's now a few years later and they're still there. Contrary to popular opinion it is Parkdale and not Scarborough or Jane/Finch that has the highest incidence of death by shooting in Toronto. Hard drugs are readily available in the neighbourhood and that section of Queen St rivals Jarvis for hookers. Even a real estate agent would have to call the area "ripe for gentrification".

On the other hand, there are now a number of art galleries in Parkdale and I went to a rather pleasant opening there recently without being shot or mugged.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:52 am
Just Joined

galinbg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks dbd,

What about 2340 Dundas Street W. It is on the intersection of Bloor and Dundas. I liked the building. The area was ok. What's bothering me is the closiness to Parkdale. Would you consider Dundas/Bloor safe ?

Thanks again

galinbg
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dbd,

What about 2340 Dundas Street W. It is on the intersection of Bloor and Dundas. I liked the building. The area was ok. What's bothering me is the closiness to Parkdale. Would you consider Dundas/Bloor safe ?

Thanks again

galinbg
I think a real estate agent would call that High Park. My business partner (a rich man, he hasn't lived like me) and one of the Bare Naked Ladies live within a couple of blocks. That area's in whole other league and, yes, I'd consider it safe. High Park is historically dry though, safe might also be a bit dull.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:03 am
Just Joined

chips will become famous soon enoughchips will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't really describe the centre for mental health and addiction a "Dominant feature" of the area.
Parkdale is a great part of the city. Don't think of it as one big dodgy area which you need to steer clear of. It's different in Toronto - it's patchy..Some bad streets, rather than one big bad area. There are some dubious characters along Queen West when you reach ...say, Queen & Brock (that mainly due to the LCBO) , but I would definately recommend a lot of areas in Parkdale (Roncevalles is nice as well...thats where I am. Polish community.) towards High park is pretty pricey, it seems family orientated.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I went to a rather pleasant opening there recently without being shot or mugged.
How pleasant for you.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Personally for me I wouldn't live around Queen and Lansdown, I go on the 504 tram quite a bit down King, and down King and Jameson which is very close and I just don't like the area.

I used to live at Dundas and Bloor, it's a very busy area and you have everything nearby (something which I don't have now), it's safe, if the right property came up I would move to that area again. But the address you gave sounds like the Crossways, and hell would have to freeze over before I ever moved back to that place. Many new immigrants move there as it is a very convenient area to live such as Dundas West station being opposite and the small mall but they don't last long and at the end of the month/beginning of the month you see many people moving out, quite a high turnover of people.

things I didn't like about the Crossways:
-maintenance people just come in with a key, no warning nothing. I think it is the law that they have to give notice and defintely not come in unannounced.
-very, very rude people in the management office.
-the lifts can take forever if you are near the top some days, some Saturday's we had to wait over 30 minutes for one
-the frequent fire alarms, before I used to ignore this but one day the firemen came knocking on all the doors as someone had used a BBQ indoors! It can be as frequent as twice a week.
-every year you could get a interest payout on your rent (I can't remember the exact numbers), we never got it however hard we tried.
-the tv, you have to have Look, which is a very crappy service, you have no other options.

There are other far better places than there, we pay $875 a month for a nice 2 bedroom place, you just need to look around, we are moving again hopefully soon not because of the place but because I am pregnant and want somewhere with underground access to shops etc etc. I am dreading to think how it will be in the snow and ice with a baby next year.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by chips
How pleasant for you.
It was nice. Someone puked on my car but I know that doesn't happen every night.

I think this site is good on the characteristics of neighbourhoods :

http://www.boldts.net/TorV.shtml
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:58 am
Just Joined

chips will become famous soon enoughchips will become famous soon enough

It was nice. Someone puked on my car but I know that doesn't happen every night.
that was me. Sorry about that.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by chips
that was me. Sorry about that.
No problem. Just don't piss in it when the top's down, thanks.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough

Hi group,

Thanks

galinbg
My friends live in Little India so I travel through that area quite a bit. The east part of the city is the next area for redevelopment. Just stay out of Scarborough and you'll be fine!

Wayne
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Wookie Wayne
My friends live in Little India so I travel through that area quite a bit. The east part of the city is the next area for redevelopment. Just stay out of Scarborough and you'll be fine!

Wayne
Er, Little India is nowhere near Parkdale. Are you travelling from Hamilton ?
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough

Er, Little India is nowhere near Parkdale. Are you travelling from Hamilton ?
Try catching the street car down town!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Wookie Wayne
Try catching the street car down town!
I caught streetcars along Queen twice a day for five years, they never went to Little India. Little India is on Gerrard and runs west from Coxwell, that's in the east end. Parkdale is along on Queen in the west end. I can't imagine a route that would take in both and end downtown.