Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sacrificing paid leave for a better life?

Sacrificing paid leave for a better life?

Old Jun 20th 2021, 4:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sacrificing paid leave for a better life?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think some are being a little unkind to Gozit.

Sure he's had support from family while studying and saving. Didn't we all have that sort of family support at his age?
I never knew anyone who saved enough for a gap year abroad or anything abroad that was more than a package holiday, and that was from full time wages. In an old job I came into contact with many students, including their financial situations (no jobs) and those having gap years did so thanks to mumsy or daddy, saving only from their 'allowance' or surviving from casual jobs when away.

Gozit seems to have saved from his work ethic which we've read about over several years now.
Umm no.. at 20-21 I was living on my own in Bristol, paying rent, paying bills, and working 2 jobs - one Mon-Fri 8:30-5:30 as an office manager and one 3-4 nights a week from 8pm often until 3am as a bartender at a nightclub, because I was trying to save enough money to take 3 months off work and go to South Africa to visit my sister! (which I finally managed to do... my flight cost £205 return.. plus spending money!)
Old Jun 20th 2021, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with BristolUK - most people have help from their parents at most times in their lives. I'll get flak for this but i'm going to say it anyway - people shouldn't have kids if they aren't willing to support them a little bit into adulthood as they get their lives started and figure out what they want to do. The attitude of yesterday "figure it out on your own" doesn't fit in today's society where things cost many times more then they did "back in the day."

I was talking to my grandparents about their first house in Canada which they paid $28,000 for and then resold for $90,000 some time later. Yes the value of money was different in the 70s but between then and now prices have balooned and without help from family most people my age I know won't be buying a home any time soon unless they have around $150k household income as DBD said, which I firmly believe is not the norm. It also means you can't afford a home on a single income - so if you're like me and still single you have no hope of being able to afford anything.

Anyway - we're taking away from the topic.

Bottom line - Europe has a better quality of life then Canada if your definition of quality of life is having more time to yourself and less stressful work environment in exchange for less money. If you want more money, bigger house, bigger/nicer car, it's easier to attain that in Canada.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 7:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You're not the first generation that's happened to, it's just a surprise for North Americans who are generally spoiled with space, size of houses, cars, second homes.
if you want a life of gadgets then NA is the place to be.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

150,000 is not the norm you are correct there, while this data is a couple years old, I doubt the new census will show any huge increase in households with incomes over 100,000 but since the most recent census data is not out yet, the best is 2016 census, which showed only 30% of households in Vancouver earned over 100,000, so pretty clear a good majority of households cannot buy a home in Vancouver anymore.

I only have to go back to my grandparents to a time when 1 income was sufficient to raise 5 kids, 2 cars, own a house, and live a comfortable middle class life without any education beyond high school, by the time my parents were 20 in 1978 they needed 2 incomes but were still worse off than their parents were, and most of my siblings are worse off than our parents were.

Originally Posted by Gozit
I agree with BristolUK - most people have help from their parents at most times in their lives. I'll get flak for this but i'm going to say it anyway - people shouldn't have kids if they aren't willing to support them a little bit into adulthood as they get their lives started and figure out what they want to do. The attitude of yesterday "figure it out on your own" doesn't fit in today's society where things cost many times more then they did "back in the day."

I was talking to my grandparents about their first house in Canada which they paid $28,000 for and then resold for $90,000 some time later. Yes the value of money was different in the 70s but between then and now prices have balooned and without help from family most people my age I know won't be buying a home any time soon unless they have around $150k household income as DBD said, which I firmly believe is not the norm. It also means you can't afford a home on a single income - so if you're like me and still single you have no hope of being able to afford anything.

Anyway - we're taking away from the topic.

Bottom line - Europe has a better quality of life then Canada if your definition of quality of life is having more time to yourself and less stressful work environment in exchange for less money. If you want more money, bigger house, bigger/nicer car, it's easier to attain that in Canada.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 11:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
150,000 is not the norm you are correct there, while this data is a couple years old, I doubt the new census will show any huge increase in households with incomes over 100,000 but since the most recent census data is not out yet, the best is 2016 census, which showed only 30% of households in Vancouver earned over 100,000, so pretty clear a good majority of households cannot buy a home in Vancouver anymore.

I only have to go back to my grandparents to a time when 1 income was sufficient to raise 5 kids, 2 cars, own a house, and live a comfortable middle class life without any education beyond high school, by the time my parents were 20 in 1978 they needed 2 incomes but were still worse off than their parents were, and most of my siblings are worse off than our parents were.
In America. What happens there is not the norm
Old Jun 21st 2021, 12:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I only have to go back to my grandparents to a time when 1 income was sufficient to raise 5 kids, 2 cars, own a house, and live a comfortable middle class life without any education beyond high school,
I did all this. 3 kids, not 5 but one completely disabled. Starting from nothing. I didn't take holidays though. In fact, thinking about it, I still support the mother of my children so one may see her, me, and the disabled child as a family unit living on one income with two comfortable middle class households. Due to some, er, lifetime adventures, I was obliged to start again without any house equity ten years ago, I did what someone without money would have to do now; buy a dump, renovate, sell, repeat.

by the time my parents were 20 in 1978 they needed 2 incomes but were still worse off than their parents were, and most of my siblings are worse off than our parents were.
My one daughter in Canada lives much the way I did. She has lots of children, is shopping for a house with her husband, they only have one car pending the house purchase being completed but they do have a ten grand electric bicycle thingy. They needed education to do it but the downside of that was that they started with $150,000 of student loan debt, so less than nothing.

It can all still be done, one can get a good job and buy lots of stuff in Canada. It's not like trying to do so somewhere impossible, like, say, Chelsea. It's just that holidays aren't part of the deal, they're not customary here in the way they are in Europe.

Last edited by dbd33; Jun 21st 2021 at 12:40 am.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 12:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I did all this. 3 kids, not 5 but one completely disabled. Starting from nothing. I didn't take holidays though.

My one daughter in Canada lives much the way I did. She has lots of children, is shopping for a house with her husband, they only have one car pending the house purchase being completed but they do have a ten grand electric bicycle thingy. They needed education to do it but the downside of that was that they started with $150,000 of student loan debt, so less than nothing.

It can all still be done, one can get a good job and buy lots of stuff in Canada. It's not like trying to do so somewhere impossible, like, say, Chelsea. It's just that holidays aren't part of the deal, they're not customary here in the way they are in Europe.

Maybe if your a skilled professional.

My parents didn't need to be smart and skilled to have a quality life, kids, nor did my grandparents, but I could work 20 hours a day, and still wouldn't earn enough to even own a condo, that is the difference between now and then.

Old Jun 21st 2021, 12:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My parents didn't need to be smart and skilled to have a quality life, kids, nor did my grandparents, but I could work 20 hours a day, and still wouldn't earn enough to even own a condo, that is the difference between now and then.
I think we may assume immigrants to be smart and skilled. Unless in fear for their lives, people do not generally move countries unless they think they have the moxie to make a go of it.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 12:49 am
Account Closed

I think we may assume immigrants to be smart and skilled. Unless in fear for their lives, people do not generally move countries unless they think they have the moxie to make a go of it.
And those who had no choice to be in Canada because they were born here who are not smart or skilled? Just let them suffer in the streets?
Old Jun 21st 2021, 1:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

And those who had no choice to be in Canada because they were born here who are not smart or skilled? Just let them suffer in the streets?
This thread considers the merits of a move to Canada, material goods vs. holidays, that's a decision that's only relevant to immigrants.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Skilled professional is what it needs now to be sure anf get what you want when you want it.

Regarding life in the 60s and 70s ................ it was not at all unusual, in fact almost the norm, for boys (because that is what they were) to leave school at the end of Grade 8 and get really well paying jobs in forestry or mining. That was most definitely the case here in BC, I've heard of it happening in Quebec, and probably in every other province ........... potash mining in Saskatchewan, for example.

It was still happening in some places up until about 25 or so years ago. There are men being laid off from forestry jobs now who have no other training than what they got up to Gr 8, and learnt on the job.

The money they earned was often a darned sight higher than what a professional was earning back then.

So what your grandparents could manage to do vs your parents vs what happens today is almost impossible to compare.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 3:59 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

People don't only move countries / immigrate due to job opportunities / potential....... they also move countries for relationships, sometimes foolishly!
Old Jun 21st 2021, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
People don't only move countries / immigrate due to job opportunities / potential....... they also move countries for relationships, sometimes foolishly!
True. Been there done that.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 21st 2021 at 5:02 am.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 1:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Indeed. A cursory glance over BE shows spousal sponsorship to be common.

According to wiki
In 2019, Canada admitted 341,180 permanent residents, compared to 321,055 the previous year. Among those admitted, 58% were economic immigrants and their accompanying immediate families; 27% were family class; 15% were either resettled refugees or protected persons or were in the humanitarian and other category.
So the smart and skilled 'reason' is 58% of the total admitted, but since that often includes spouses and kids - that are very often a feature of the threads on BE relating to 'good schools' and great places to raise a family - it's probably lower than 50% making 'the rest' - or other reasons to move to Canada - the majority.

Old Jun 21st 2021, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movinghopeful
I am in the advanced stages of planning my move to and future Permanent Residency application for Canada. I have worked and lived there seasonally for the past 4 years and I know that I love the country, the culture and the way of life that it has to offer. The biggest drawback for me is the pitiful amount of paid leave that is offered in most conventional jobs. I mean, seriously, just 10 days mandatory??! Having worked in the UK for most of my life, it would feel like a massive sacrifice of my time and my worry is that I won't have the opportunity to enjoy/explore the country properly because I'll be working all the time, which I think would be really depressing. I know that it does increase if you are with the same company, but even after 10 years employment you STILL don't get as much as the baseline amount in the UK. It just seems incredibly unfair and having read lots of posts it seems that in more conventional jobs (which I don't have experience of in Canada), the work culture in general is a lot more like the US than the UK i.e. big focus on deadlines, high stress, draconian bosses who are reluctant to approve leave etc. which I honestly think I would despise unless I absolutely adored my job (not likely). Those who are now working in Canada and living there full time - how do you find the work culture and is it really hard to adjust to the (in my opinion) inadequate amount of leave?
It is an interesting post. I would have to hope your reasons for moving are more to do with some kind of amelioration of your daily life cos not only can there be miserly holiday time but, depending on where you go, it is bloody expensive. And, of course, you have your travelling days.

In terms of the work culture, it would depend on province / area and line of work. I am a financial planner, and was an IFA in the UK. I am gobsmacked by the p*ss poor quality of management and the seeming endless ability of first class losers to fail upwards because they know the right people. The conceit that these tossers subsequently display is genuinely something I have rarely seen in the UK, or when I was in Italy.

The counter point to this, however, since it engenders a low productivity low accountability environment, does tend to mean that you can talk a load of corporate nonsense and you will generally be left alone. Some people may call this relaxed, but it can be corrosive to one's own high standards. Do bear in mind that I am in Nova Scotia, so other provinces may be different.

In summary, examine carefully why you want to come, what you want to be the result, and when you are going to call it if things are working out. All the best for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.