Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sacrificing paid leave for a better life?

Sacrificing paid leave for a better life?

Old Jun 18th 2021, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sacrificing paid leave for a better life?

....... but there are also parts of Canada where you do not have to do that!

Yes, Vancouver is in the Banana Belt, and housing is expensive here. But Vancouver Island is cheaper, and the East Coast doesn't get as much snow for as long as the inland provinces. NS can have horrendous nor-easters and even hurricanes

But if you emigrate to a country you have to take the "new" conditions, in every sense ........... whether that be weather very different from what you are used to, to different foods, different working conditions, learning a different language, different customs, etc etc. The immigrant has to change, not expect the locals to change.

If you don't like or want to make those changes, then there's no point in emigrating, because you will never be happy.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 5:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

But if you emigrate to a country you have to take the "new" conditions, in every sense ........... whether that be weather very different from what you are used to, to different foods, different working conditions, learning a different language, different customs, etc etc. The immigrant has to change, not expect the locals to change.
I think there's some truth to that, I wouldn't move to Spain without first learning Spanish, but it's important to note that, in the GTA and K-W the locals are not significant in setting the customs. There's no need to learn to wear plaid, eat poutine nor endure the Tragically Hip. People are from all over so one will meet people of a dozen or more nationalities in the course of an ordinary day. Restaurants offer food of every type, served by a native of the land of the cuisine (except Mexican, Mexican food in Canada is as authentic as Chinese food in Northern Ireland). This will all be familiar if you're from Kilburn but emigrants from a less multicultural part of London, or from outside the M25, may find it a jolt.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I figure Mexican food in Canada is either Cal-Mex or Tex-Mex , with some slight changes

At least that's what we seem to get here.

Our favourite here is Japanese, but not "fusion Japanese". There are so many Japanese sushi bars that the food is really incredibly cheap, and fresh. It has to be or the place doesn't succeed. Best not to go to the fancy Japanese places downtown though, little ones along Robson, or in small malls all over Vancouver are the best.

The tip for good Chinese and Japanese places to eat was always ............... check who's eating there, and it probably applies to almost any "ethnic" restaurant. If diners largely of the ethnic group, the food will be good. If diners are not, then the restaurant is probably not authentic.

"English-style" fish and chips are to be avoided.

But don't you think that there is a language to be learnt even here in Canada, or Australia, and the US ...............

think of the different words for things ............... trunk, gas, etc

and the words or phrases NOT to be used under any circumstances here ............. "I'll knock you up in the morning", for one.

Newbies can get caught out with any one of many different words ............. and will be greeted with a blank stare.

OZ has got a language and pronunciation all its own, that newbies have to learn, or be jeered at.

Been there, done that!
Old Jun 19th 2021, 3:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Mexican food in BC is nothing like anything I have had either in Mexico or So. California, its rarely good, and generally overpriced. I just wait to go to California for my Mexican food fix and sometimes hop across the border into Baja California for a lunch or 2. Mexican food varies within Mexico too, so what you find in Baja California isn't the same as mainland Mexico, regional differences.

Mexican food in San Diego can be anywhere from quite authentic to fast food style, just depends where you go, but literally being on the border with Mexico probably helps.

Old Jun 19th 2021, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
In my humble opinion, if vacation time is such a big deal for anyone, it is better NOT to come to Canada, or they will just be a moaning minnie for years to come.
So what if one was born and raised in Canada and that is most familiar to them, but they disagree with the working culture? Is that reason enough to emigrate?

I agree with dbd33 most of Canada is frozen and bitter half the year and i'd rather spend that time outside Canada.

I haven't been able to get a job since I graduated since I can't stomach the 2 weeks of vacation. As it is now I am spending 2 or so months outside the country and i'm grateful that i'm able to do so.

Traveling, vacation time, and time to just disconnect from work is extremely important to me.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 2:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
So what if one was born and raised in Canada and that is most familiar to them, but they disagree with the working culture? Is that reason enough to emigrate?

I agree with dbd33 most of Canada is frozen and bitter half the year and i'd rather spend that time outside Canada.

I haven't been able to get a job since I graduated since I can't stomach the 2 weeks of vacation. As it is now I am spending 2 or so months outside the country and i'm grateful that i'm able to do so.

Traveling, vacation time, and time to just disconnect from work is extremely important to me.
It's your choice to remain in Canada or go and live overseas - no different to anyone immigrating from Europe to Canada.. it sounds like you would be happier if you did. Regardless, there are many who want to immigrate to Canada, regardless of vacation time... and like the fact it is cold and snowy for half the year!

You have chosen not to take any job that offers less vacation time than you would like - very different to not being able to get a job - I guarantee that! Most of us don't have the luxury of turning down a job, just because it doesn't give 4 weeks vacation. I worked for years in the UK at a job I hated, because the bills and mortgage had to be paid and my son had to be fed and clothed. Needs must!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 19th 2021 at 2:13 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's your choice to remain in Canada or go and live overseas - no different to anyone immigrating from Europe to Canada.. it sounds like you would be happier if you did. Regardless, there are many who want to immigrate to Canada, regardless of vacation time... and like the fact it is cold and snowy for half the year!

You have chosen not to take any job that offers less vacation time than you would like - very different to not being able to get a job - I guarantee that! Most of us don't have the luxury of turning down a job, just because it doesn't give 4 weeks vacation. I worked for years in the UK at a job I hated, because the bills and mortgage had to be paid and my son had to be fed and clothed. Needs must!
Of course there are people who want to immigrate to Canada despite the lack of work/life balance comparable to Europe. But that's exactly what this thread is contesting - sacrificing work/life balance for a (subjectively) better life.

I only have the luxury to nitpick jobs because I saved my money throughout my studies planning on a gap year abroad after graduation which I was not able to do due to the pandemic. I realise i'm lucky however I made it possible for myself to do this.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I only have the luxury to nitpick jobs because I saved my money throughout my studies planning on a gap year abroad after graduation which I was not able to do due to the pandemic. I realise i'm lucky however I made it possible for myself to do this.
Bollocks. There's a world of difference between the position of a feckless youth supported by affluent and indulgent parents and that of someone who has to work to feed the family. Leisure travel, vacation time and the ability to disconnect from work are luxuries few in Canada are able to enjoy, they're not something one can save up for from a part time job.

To me, the case for putting up with the culture of slavish devotion to work, and with the weather, is inextricably linked with the price of houses. Historically, houses in Canada have been cheap so someone with an ordinary job, say household income of $150,000 today, could feel well off. Now that houses in Canada cost as much as in other western countries, I don't see the value proposition. There would have to be some other reason than "a better life" to make Canada an attractive destination.

Old Jun 19th 2021, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Of course there are people who want to immigrate to Canada despite the lack of work/life balance comparable to Europe. But that's exactly what this thread is contesting - sacrificing work/life balance for a (subjectively) better life.

Plus your parents' support, presumably.

Old Jun 19th 2021, 6:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Weren't you living at home in your parents house? Don't you stay with your grandparents in Malta?
Did you buy your own car? Pay the insurance and not piggy backed onto your parents insurance?
Old Jun 19th 2021, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bats
Weren't you living at home in your parents house? Don't you stay with your grandparents in Malta?
Did you buy your own car? Pay the insurance and not piggy backed onto your parents insurance?
Good points, bats.

If you had had to get to university or college only by obtaining full grant (scholarship) money, without contribution from your parents, or even had to give some of that scholarship money to your parents because they needed help, had no car, had to use public transit only, and had to work during vacations to make a bit extra spending money (and NOT coop college/work things), THEN you would be able to say that you had done everything off your own bat.

And before you ask .................. that is what both OH and I had to do in order to get the qualifications that have allowed us to get where we are.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 11:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think some are being a little unkind to Gozit.

Sure he's had support from family while studying and saving. Didn't we all have that sort of family support at his age?
I never knew anyone who saved enough for a gap year abroad or anything abroad that was more than a package holiday, and that was from full time wages. In an old job I came into contact with many students, including their financial situations (no jobs) and those having gap years did so thanks to mumsy or daddy, saving only from their 'allowance' or surviving from casual jobs when away.

Gozit seems to have saved from his work ethic which we've read about over several years now.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 12:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I can see gozits point of view, at his age, I certainly didn't want to be tied down to a job with just 2 weeks off every year, I was fortunate that at his age, I was able to work at an airline so had ability to fly free or nearly free, and while only had 2 weeks a year paid vacation, we could take off as much time as we wanted provided we could get our shifts covered, some of my co-workers would work maybe 2 or 3 of their shifts a month, having traded the rest off to travel or just not work or work their real job, not uncommon for people to work part-time at airlines just for flight benefits.

Old Jun 20th 2021, 1:56 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Sure he's had support from family while studying and saving. Didn't we all have that sort of family support at his age?
I never knew anyone who saved enough for a gap year abroad or anything abroad that was more than a package holiday, and that was from full time wages. In an old job I came into contact with many students, including their financial situations (no jobs) and those having gap years did so thanks to mumsy or daddy, saving only from their 'allowance' or surviving from casual jobs when away.

Gozit seems to have saved from his work ethic which we've read about over several years now.
But he's constantly posting about how he won't take a job with low pay and/or few vacation days so he's unemployed. Work ethic to me is getting a job, any job, and brining some money in while you look for something better.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I didn't have any cash support from my parents after leaving high school. I got a full scholarship from the local Education Authority, which paid my tuition, books, an extra amount for field trips in the spring vacation, plus a cash amount to pay for my food and lodging.

Parents did let me stay home without contributing during the spring and Christmas vacations, although I worked for 2-3 weeks up to and including Christmas delivering the mail. I got myself jobs during the summer vacation, working in hotels as a maid/stillroom worker/replacement waitress, whatever I was asked to do.

I did in fact have to send money to my parents during my first year at university, as they hit a bad spell. It came out of my "food and lodging" allowance.

So, no, I did not have the kind of support that Gozit has had because my parents could not afford it.

I had to depend on my brains.

I'm lucky in that they did not insist on me leaving school and going to work to support the family, but that was only because my mother was very keen on education, and as long as I could get scholarships and earn bits of money working in the vacs, then she was OK with it.

At the time, we were not allowed to work during term time if we were in receipt of a scholarship.

OH had to do similar, although his parents had a bgit more money than mine, he had a younger sister they needed to support.

He also had a full scholarship, worked one summer at a Butlin's, and other summers working on a local farm, as a labourer.

He jokes about it now, but it was b****y hard work when you read between the lines.

Last edited by scilly; Jun 20th 2021 at 2:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.