Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sacrifices you made when emigrating?.. Difficult choices...

Sacrifices you made when emigrating?.. Difficult choices...

Old Nov 3rd 2015, 7:45 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sacrifices you made when emigrating?.. Difficult choices...

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Just missed my Brother in Law's latest wedding last month. We went to all his other ones so we'd already got the gist of what was likely to happen.
Yeah multiple single person's weddings you can definitely miss. You know that he or she is just not serious.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 8:04 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

My (close to friendly) sister-in-law in the UK died back in June this year & I did not go to the funeral, which folks over the pond gave me $hit for not attending.

Anyone else living overseas at the time that did not go to a family funeral in the UK, if so, the reasons or excuses given for not going other than work?
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 9:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
If it was another poster, I would suggest that putting off your plans by an entire year to accommodate one 24 hour day is crazy...
\Well, yes,

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 4th 2015 at 9:30 am. Reason: Personal comment removed
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 10:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I unfortunately have to sacrifice my vacation for weddings.

However I expect 12 months notice if they want me to attend to budget etc.

I have no weddings next year so I am super chuffed.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
\Well, yes < snip >.
Aye I must be to air my thoughts on an internet forum.

Site rule # no.1 my friend...

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 4th 2015 at 6:07 pm. Reason: snipped to remove quote
Old Nov 4th 2015, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Emigrating means cutting those ties . Of course it is easier now than it was a few generataions back. When my aunts and uncles emigrated to the US, Australia and New Zealand, they did not expect to return to Scotland. Ever. And they did not. Now the comparative cost of air travel makes trips back quite affordable for many.
Yes. I had an uncle I didn't meet until he returned to the UK after he retired; he was in the Navy in the Pacific during WWII, moved to Australia soon afterwards, and didn't come back for forty or fifty years.

I've been to a couple of weddings since I emigrated. That will only get easier; in a few years you won't even need to fly, just rent a drone in the town where they're having the wedding, put on a VR headset, and you'll be there. OK, you'll have to buy your own booze...
Old Nov 4th 2015, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

the blairs will become famous soon enough

We had only been in Canada for 6 weeks when a close family friend passed away. I hummed and hawed over whether to fly back for the funeral because of the cost. My mind was made up when I was sitting on my new sofa watching my new tv and i had a realisation of what was actually important in life. So back me and my daughter went (couldn't afford all 4 of us).

I think you need to try and save a little pot of money for things like this that come up. It's a difficult choice but for me it hit me like a brick when i thought of what i had spent moving and rekitting out the new house. Money is not whats important (obviously you need to be able to afford the flights though!)

On a side note...... I gave up Edinburgh chippie sauce
Old Nov 5th 2015, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I actually love the distance. 9 hours isn't too long of a flight to be impossible but also enough that it has to be significantly planned for. I'm definitely looking into getting an airmiles plan for my credit card soon though.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 3:11 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

After all the effort that you would have goine through to get said PR I feel a little stunned that you are considering staying where you are until 2017 for a wedding day.Do you really want to emigrate? Thats what springs to mind for me. We have been here 4.5 years and between us been back 4 times (separately as just didnt want to spend money on that trip as a family) for people dying, sick and one 80 year old birthday party. Its part of emigration, sometimes you can go and sometimes you just cant.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 3:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
After all the effort that you would have goine through to get said PR I feel a little stunned that you are considering staying where you are until 2017 for a wedding day...Its part of emigration, sometimes you can go and sometimes you just cant.
And then while you're hanging on, someone else gets married or pregnant and there's pressure to put it off again or "but you did it for her/him..."
Old Nov 5th 2015, 7:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
So our dilemma is probably a common one with some.
We (my wife and 2 kids, have PR). So Canada is calling anytime we choose. But... We have a decision to make.
My wife's brother (also a close frend of mine) is due to get married in mid 2017. Do we hold off our original plans of emigrating next year and wait till summer 2017 in order to attend this event, or realise this is the unfortunate reality when you decide to emigrate and move away, that you may well upset a few people, including yourself maybe, by not being able to attend every 'special' occasion..

What choices did you have to make? What sacrifices did you make and was it worth it? Are you comfortable in hindsight with the choice you made?

(I'm not expecting someone to tell us what to do obviously, just shooting the sh#t)
What you do is emigrate as planned. That is what you do. Emigration plans take time , money and effort and unless you have kept this super secret squirrel , then all your family and friends know of your plans to do this thing.

You sit down with your BIL and have a friendly, open and honest chat about this and then offer them to come visit with you in Canada as part of a honeymoon . Take time to set up skype or something for that day. Make some fun connections to be there in spirit for the stag night via a huge cardboard cutout or similar. Makes those types of connections to be in on their act for those days BUT above all emigrate as planned. You never know, come the time you may have funds to make a quick flight back. You are only in Canada after all. Not in NewZealand which is a two day journey .
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:17 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Shirley if you liked your friends and family that much you wouldn't be emigrating anyway
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bats;11787398]Shirley if you liked your friends and family that much you wouldn't be emigrating anyway[/QUOTE

And don't call me Shirley?

Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=plasticcanuck;11787405]
Originally Posted by bats
Shirley if you liked your friends and family that much you wouldn't be emigrating anyway[/QUOTE

And don't call me Shirley?

http://youtu.be/ixljWVyPby0
Haha! gotta love autocorrect. I really should proofread before I post.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 1:34 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bats;11787409]
Originally Posted by plasticcanuck

Haha! gotta love autocorrect. I really should proofread before I post.
I thought that was a deliberate spelling by you- I have to admit I did think of Airplane when I read that too.. You should have blagged it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.