Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sacrifices you made when emigrating?.. Difficult choices...

Sacrifices you made when emigrating?.. Difficult choices...

Old Nov 2nd 2015, 11:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sacrifices you made when emigrating?.. Difficult choices...

Suck it up Buttercup.

It's just one day during which you will probably spend a couple of minutes with them just move on already, unless you really don't want to which might explain all your questions
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Oh, I have and they all say they will come, and they mean it at the time, and then life gets in the way, and they never quite make it. A guy I went to primary school with came over for dinner a few years ago because he was in the area on business and another school friend came from Australia for a few days, she was at a conference in Vancouver but flew (via Dallas) to see us in Toronto because she understands what it's like to not have any long time friends close by.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Emigrate AND go to the wedding. Just factor in the costs and if you really want to go, go.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 5:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
I think you need to realise that this will be a side effect of emigrating - there will likely be many other occasions that you are going to miss out on.
This. It's just not feasible when moving countries to make it back home for everything or even that often.

I have missed weddings, funerals, have nieces and nephews I have not met, or met when they were infants and so on.

I don't have to go to the UK though, just So. California but it's far enough to not be affordable.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 3rd 2015 at 5:50 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
So emigrate earlier and send your wife back for her brother's wedding on the premise you can't get the time off work or whatever excuse is feasible. Your wife will be pleased to see her sibling get married and you will be fulfilled by missing a wedding you'll hate anyway.
I'll miss the stag though!
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
There are daily flights available back to the UK for such events....

When planned in advance or via strategic credit card use, they can even be quite cheap.
Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated, as the wedding is in Greece
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
Emigrate AND go to the wedding. Just factor in the costs and if you really want to go, go.
Yeah that is an option we have discussed. Albeit haven't yet priced how much it would cost us all to fly from Toronto to Greece.. Via the UK..
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 6:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated, as the wedding is in Greece
Simples!

Get one of these British Airways Visa Infinite - RBC Royal Bank (or from another bank) and use it for your moving over and setting up costs - that gets you 50,000 Avios air miles. According to BA website, Toronto to Athens will 'cost' 21,500 Avios each way, so you would just have to pay for any airport taxes etc.

I'm sure there are other deals around that are similar!

I got the idea from the chap who flew Emirates 1st class for $200.

Old Nov 3rd 2015, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

There is never the "perfect" time to immigrate. However, the longer you leave it, the less likely it is that you'll do it. There'll always be something going on with one family member or another whether immediate or extended and always some reason or other to postpone the move.

S
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Suck it up Buttercup.

It's just one day during which you will probably spend a couple of minutes with them just move on already, unless you really don't want to which might explain all your questions
This.
Why on earth would you postpone getting on with the rest of your life for a whole year, for the sake of one day? I'd be pretty surprised if the groom would expect you do that if he is indeed a friend.
Procrastinating is the word I'm thinking of.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 3:06 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
This.
Why on earth would you postpone getting on with the rest of your life for a whole year, for the sake of one day? I'd be pretty surprised if the groom would expect you do that if he is indeed a friend.
Procrastinating is the word I'm thinking of.
That's what I thought too. Using it as an excuse because you don't have the bottle to make the move right now.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 5:19 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
So our dilemma is probably a common one with some.
We (my wife and 2 kids, have PR). So Canada is calling anytime we choose. But... We have a decision to make.
My wife's brother (also a close frend of mine) is due to get married in mid 2017. Do we hold off our original plans of emigrating next year and wait till summer 2017 in order to attend this event, or realise this is the unfortunate reality when you decide to emigrate and move away, that you may well upset a few people, including yourself maybe, by not being able to attend every 'special' occasion..

What choices did you have to make? What sacrifices did you make and was it worth it? Are you comfortable in hindsight with the choice you made?

(I'm not expecting someone to tell us what to do obviously, just shooting the sh#t)
If it was another poster, I would suggest that putting off your plans by an entire year to accommodate one 24 hour day is crazy...

However for your family, maybe you should move when your wife has passed her RPN exam or at the very least has a date for it, if this allows for the wedding too then that is fortunate.

It is a sacrifice, you are going to miss events. Fortunately we moved when everyone was pretty much done getting married and having kids. We have been invited to a friend's second wedding which we have declined. We are going home for a visit on the 26th December after two years here for people to meet our new little one- our pension is taking the hit for that one!
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Emigrating means cutting those ties . Of course it is easier now than it was a few generataions back. When my aunts and uncles emigrated to the US, Australia and New Zealand, they did not expect to return to Scotland. Ever. And they did not. Now the comparative cost of air travel makes trips back quite affordable for many.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 6:33 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Emigrating means cutting those ties . Of course it is easier now than it was a few generataions back. When my aunts and uncles emigrated to the US, Australia and New Zealand, they did not expect to return to Scotland. Ever. And they did not. Now the comparative cost of air travel makes trips back quite affordable for many.

This. I (well the little wheels) speak to my mum for about an hour total on the phone every fortnight for free, plus there's emails (with lots of photos) and we go back for 2 weeks a year.

It was utterly different when I were a lad.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 7:10 pm
Banned

Francophile has a reputation beyond reputeFrancophile has a reputation beyond reputeFrancophile has a reputation beyond reputeFrancophile has a reputation beyond reputeFrancophile has a reputation beyond reputeFrancophile has a reputation beyond reputeFrancophile has a reputation beyond reputeFrancophile has a reputation beyond reputeFrancophile has a reputation beyond reputeFrancophile has a reputation beyond reputeFrancophile has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't the 19th century. Moving across an ocean doesn't mean you're gone and never going back. Flights to the UK aren't cheap but neither are they insanely expensive. If you are somewhat flexible as to timing of visits (obviously not the case for a wedding, but generally speaking) and monitor flight deals, you can pounce a good deal when you find one.

I think plasticcanuck's suggestion is the best one. Move now, settle in, and your wife could go back for the wedding while you happily send your regards from afar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.