Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rural Areas in Pickering ON?

Wikiposts

Rural Areas in Pickering ON?

Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

bluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nice
Default Rural Areas in Pickering ON?

We were originally thinking of emigrating to NS so we have obviously focused all our research and job hunting etc on this province.
However my OH has been offered a job based in Pickering ON, so I am wondering if anyone out there can give us any info on this region.
Hopefully we would like to buy property with land. When i have looked on MLS at properties in NS there seem to be loads to choose from, but I am thinking that this may prove more difficult in Pickering and more expensive!!

Could someone put me in the picture please and also perhaps give some commuting distances if we did purchase a property in the surrounding rural area (if there is any that is!)

The job offer has now completely thrown us off track and we are wondering whether to go with it or stick to our original plan of job hunting in NS.

Any info good or bad would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:16 am
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rural Areas in Pickering ON?

Originally Posted by bluemoon1
We were originally thinking of emigrating to NS so we have obviously focused all our research and job hunting etc on this province.
However my OH has been offered a job based in Pickering ON, so I am wondering if anyone out there can give us any info on this region.
Hopefully we would like to buy property with land. When i have looked on MLS at properties in NS there seem to be loads to choose from, but I am thinking that this may prove more difficult in Pickering and more expensive!!

Could someone put me in the picture please and also perhaps give some commuting distances if we did purchase a property in the surrounding rural area (if there is any that is!)

The job offer has now completely thrown us off track and we are wondering whether to go with it or stick to our original plan of job hunting in NS.

We have a few friends around the area and we used to live not too far. There are some nice pockets in the area. What is your budget and what do want in the way of rural land size etc as it really just a suburb of Toronto. Which area in Pickering will your OH be working as I can maybe guide you better as to where would be nicer for you? Do you have family and can you drive etc..... what do you want near you?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In order to have land he'll have to commute a bit but it's not infeasible, how much commute is acceptable?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

bluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nice

Hi dbd33, well my OH is used to commuting over here. I suppose anything up to an hour.

Hi JLT, we are probably looking at a budget of up to about $220,000 with about 2.5 -5 acres. Both myself and OH drive and we have 2 children (10 and 2). Not sure of the area just yet, we are waiting for the firm offer to come through and take it from there. Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:32 pm
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Rural Areas in Pickering ON?

Hi dbd33, well my OH is used to commuting over here. I suppose anything up to an hour.

Hi JLT, we are probably looking at a budget of up to about $220,000 with about 2.5 -5 acres. Both myself and OH drive and we have 2 children (10 and 2). Not sure of the area just yet, we are waiting for the firm offer to come through and take it from there. Thanks
Hello there
You would be able to buy a small home around Pickering for that amount but not with the amount of land you are looking for. As you said semi rural/rural living is for you suggest you look around Uxbridge/Port Perry area both within commuting to Pickering and are quite nice and quaint to live in. I do know friends who are in Uxbridge who really love it for its semi rural position and amenities, you need to think about this for the winter! If you are prepared for a longer drive and willing to pay around $430plus you will get the land you require but $220 is not realistic to me - sorry maybe more imput is on this topic is needed from others also depends how rural you wish to be will dictate your price. You need to ask yourself what amenities you want near you and how far are you prepared to drive to a local shop or doctor etc especially when your children are young. Are you used to socializing with your little one at moms and tots etc or do you prefer a private life? These are things to take into account for your move as I was in the same position and these decisions I found critical to make us all happy. Hope I have not delved too deeply but wanted to give you somethoughts to think on. Good Luck on your hunting
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice JLT, very informative. Its certainly given us something to think about! Like I said earlier prices in NS seem to be a lot cheaper and I had a feeling this wouldn't be the case nearer to Toronto

We have a recce planned to NS for October so we'll wait for the job package to come through and take it from there. We obviously need to get over there and see things for ourselves ie where we want to live and how much we can afford!!

Thanks again for your good wishes
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:15 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Pickering would be an easy commute from Port Hope/ Cobourg/ Areas up and around Rice Lake, even Peterborough. All comfortably within an hour, probably less.

I even considered a job there once (I was desperate), and it was about an hour and a quarter from here, if I got my foot down.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Pickering would be an easy commute from Port Hope/ Cobourg/ Areas up and around Rice Lake, even Peterborough. All comfortably within an hour, probably less.

I even considered a job there once (I was desperate), and it was about an hour and a quarter from here, if I got my foot down.
My OH worked in Pickering for 4 weeks at a place called Yorkville (they makes Amps). He was desperate at the time, they paid $10 per hour and he had to get public transit from Downtown Toronto to Pickering which meant getting up at 5am to start work at 8am. Fortunately the gods of Rock 'n Roll saved him when I tour came up
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Mmmmm that doesn't sound too promising Iaink and Elaine....the fact you both only took a job there because you were desperate......
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

I was actually going to Pm you Iaink as I noticed you are in the Quinte region
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:37 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm that doesn't sound too promising Iaink and Elaine....the fact you both only took a job there because you were desperate......
It wasnt anything about Pickering, its just that I live a bit too far away for it to be a viable long term thing from here, and I dont want to move.

Desperate simply because I was unexpectedly out of work with a new born baby to pay for.... you do what you have to do.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Phew! Thats good to hear. I will take a look at the areas you suggested. Thanks a lot
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I should say my comments aren't really a reflection on Pickering it's more the problem of not being able to drive and getting paid crap money.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Phew x 2! Thanks ElaineB
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink

Desperate simply because I was unexpectedly out of work with a new born baby to pay for.... you do what you have to do.
That's funny our desperation was also because of a baby, I was pregnant and working in a bar at the time and OH was starting to panic as the touring work had dried up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.