Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Running UK Ltd company from Canada

Running UK Ltd company from Canada

Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

ralphster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Running UK Ltd company from Canada

Is anyone doing this? I'm interested to hear about your experiences and pains. I've read you can remain a Director of a UK company if you are abroad.

How does it work with paperwork (stuff to sign) etc?

What are the other considerations?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 6:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running UK Ltd company from Canada

Well you can be a director of a corporation pretty much anywhere, a director is basically that, they just put you down in that regard and it's registered with company house, maybe there is a check box for non-resident. I work with a Canadian company that owns a UK company, basically they took it over, got rid of the directors, put down a UK lawyer as the director and some muppet they drummed up from inside the company runs the UK operation (and he is a muppet, completely out of his depth) but he is not on the board.

Not sure why they did it that way, as they own 100% of the shares. I assume it must have been for liability reasons, can't see a tax reason as it made no difference in that regard.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running UK Ltd company from Canada

Originally Posted by ralphster
Is anyone doing this? I'm interested to hear about your experiences and pains. I've read you can remain a Director of a UK company if you are abroad.

How does it work with paperwork (stuff to sign) etc?

What are the other considerations?
AFAIK a director of a UK company does not need to be resident in the UK. However, they must have a mailing address in the UK.

The company must have a registered office in the UK and many solicitors will provide this service. The overseas director can then use the solicitor's address as their UK mailing address.

One thing to watch out for is that if the CRA determine that the company's "mind and management" is resident in Canada they can deem the corporation to be resident in Canada and tax it accordingly.

The usual work around is to endure that all the company general meetings and "official" directors meetings are held in the UK. This might cost a bit in air fares.