Reload this Page >

Rules about having Alberta driving licence / MELT training

Rules about having Alberta driving licence / MELT training

Old Feb 15th 2020, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

JillTr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rules about having Alberta driving licence / MELT training

Hi,
I have read the relevant wiki here but you were so helpful before, I'd be very grateful for more, please..!

My nephew will be in Edmonton from mid March on a 2 year working holiday visa (he intends to emigrate to Canada) and has saved up sufficient money to do his MELT training (which we learnt more about from you good people) in addition to all the other money he'll need. He intends to do the training with what appears to be an excellent training organisation in Edmonton and they have told him the International DP is not sufficient and he will have to get a Canadian (Alberta) driving licence first. I can find official information like this: (taken from: https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-...ces.aspx#toc-2 ) but would find it invaluable to hear from expats on the subject -

"To exchange your licence for an Alberta driver’s licence, you must:
  • hand in your valid licence that is equivalent or higher than an Alberta Class 5 or 6 licence to a registry agent
  • provide proof of 2 or more years of driving experience, if you want to be issued a full Class 5 licence
  • provide proof that you live in Alberta
  • provide proof of residence in Canada
You’ll be given a Class 5 or 6 driver’s licence based on the exchange agreement (not all jurisdictions allow the exchange of a motorcycle licence-Class 6)."

Q.1. I assume that a standard British driving licence is equivalent or higher than Alberta Class 5 or 6? (I assume Class 5 is good enough to undergo MELT training?) (He also has Class 1 and 2)

Q.2. What is the best way to provide proof of 2 or more years UK driving experience?

Q.3. When he first gets to Edmonton, he will have to go into a hotel and I assume that would not be good enough to provide proof that he now lives in Alberta, so he'll have to wait until he gets permanent accommodation before he can exchange his licence? would renting self-catering accommodation be valid (for the short-term)? would he have to live there for a certain time for it to be 'valid'?

Q.4. This is the one which really worries me - how will he be able to prove his residency?

Any advice/input would be very welcome and I thank you for giving me your time.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 3:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rules about having Alberta driving licence / MELT training

Originally Posted by JillTr
Hi,
I have read the relevant wiki here but you were so helpful before, I'd be very grateful for more, please..!

My nephew will be in Edmonton from mid March on a 2 year working holiday visa (he intends to emigrate to Canada) and has saved up sufficient money to do his MELT training (which we learnt more about from you good people) in addition to all the other money he'll need. He intends to do the training with what appears to be an excellent training organisation in Edmonton and they have told him the International DP is not sufficient and he will have to get a Canadian (Alberta) driving licence first. I can find official information like this: (taken from: https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-...ces.aspx#toc-2 ) but would find it invaluable to hear from expats on the subject -

"To exchange your licence for an Alberta driver’s licence, you must:
  • hand in your valid licence that is equivalent or higher than an Alberta Class 5 or 6 licence to a registry agent
  • provide proof of 2 or more years of driving experience, if you want to be issued a full Class 5 licence
  • provide proof that you live in Alberta
  • provide proof of residence in Canada
You’ll be given a Class 5 or 6 driver’s licence based on the exchange agreement (not all jurisdictions allow the exchange of a motorcycle licence-Class 6)."

Q.1. I assume that a standard British driving licence is equivalent or higher than Alberta Class 5 or 6? (I assume Class 5 is good enough to undergo MELT training?) (He also has Class 1 and 2)

Q.2. What is the best way to provide proof of 2 or more years UK driving experience?

Q.3. When he first gets to Edmonton, he will have to go into a hotel and I assume that would not be good enough to provide proof that he now lives in Alberta, so he'll have to wait until he gets permanent accommodation before he can exchange his licence? would renting self-catering accommodation be valid (for the short-term)? would he have to live there for a certain time for it to be 'valid'?

Q.4. This is the one which really worries me - how will he be able to prove his residency?

Any advice/input would be very welcome and I thank you for giving me your time.
Provide proof of Residence status in Canada is an Immigration status rather than where you are living.. so his Open work permit (IEC) would suffice as proof of his residence status in Canada. He will need proof of an Alberta address - there's a few threads on how to prove residential address, a temporary one may not be sufficient.

When you say he intends to emigrate - I hope he is aware that as a truck driver that's not going to be easy... he will have to work long haul to qualify for Alberta semi-skilled stream https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/e3db...r-category.pdf

His UK license will show how long he has held it - he can also get his drivers extract from DVLA https://www.gov.uk/government/public...driving-record.

Does he have at least 2 years of truck driving experience already? Without that he may struggle to get a job. Hopefully when you say you read the wiki it was this: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada as well as: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Drive...icence-Alberta
He may need to undertake other testing to upgrade the Class 5 Alberta license to a Class 1 License - such as airbrake, a drivers medical report https://www.alberta.ca/upgrade-commercial-licence.aspx
Old Feb 15th 2020, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Provide proof of Residence status in Canada is an Immigration status rather than where you are living.. so his Open work permit (IEC) would suffice as proof of his residence status in Canada. He will need proof of an Alberta address - there's a few threads on how to prove residential address, a temporary one may not be sufficient.

When you say he intends to emigrate - I hope he is aware that as a truck driver that's not going to be easy... he will have to work long haul to qualify for Alberta semi-skilled stream https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/e3db...r-category.pdf

His UK license will show how long he has held it - he can also get his drivers extract from DVLA https://www.gov.uk/government/public...driving-record.

Does he have at least 2 years of truck driving experience already? Without that he may struggle to get a job. Hopefully when you say you read the wiki it was this: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada as well as: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Drive...icence-Alberta
He may need to undertake other testing to upgrade the Class 5 Alberta license to a Class 1 License - such as airbrake, a drivers medical report https://www.alberta.ca/upgrade-commercial-licence.aspx
Thank you so much for all of this, it's very helpful and I didn't know about the Alberta semi-skilled stream, very interesting; no, I didn't find the first Wiki article, so thanks!

He actually wants to be a long haul driver so that should be OK, he does have over 2 years driving experience and he will have his DVLA code. We were aware of the medical and are hoping that the driving training school or someone else in Edmonton will be able to point him in the direction of a suitable doctor.

Lots to read, thanks!
Old Feb 16th 2020, 4:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for all of this, it's very helpful and I didn't know about the Alberta semi-skilled stream, very interesting; no, I didn't find the first Wiki article, so thanks!

He actually wants to be a long haul driver so that should be OK, he does have over 2 years driving experience and he will have his DVLA code. We were aware of the medical and are hoping that the driving training school or someone else in Edmonton will be able to point him in the direction of a suitable doctor.

Lots to read, thanks!
Most welcome!
Does he have 2 years of TRUCK driving experience? He will need a minimum of 2 years of 'ordinary' driving experience to exchange his UK license for a standard class 5 Alberta one... but if he wants a job in truck driving employers usually look for a couple of years experience of that..
Did you see our trucking sub forum? https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/
Old Feb 19th 2020, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Most welcome!
Does he have 2 years of TRUCK driving experience? He will need a minimum of 2 years of 'ordinary' driving experience to exchange his UK license for a standard class 5 Alberta one... but if he wants a job in truck driving employers usually look for a couple of years experience of that..
Did you see our trucking sub forum? https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/
Thanks again, Siouxie, and apologies for the delay in responding - my mind's been on other things, dog emergency operation.

It looks like the AINP Employer-Driven Stream – Semi-Skilled Worker Category is now closed??

Yes, he does have over 2 years HGV experience and about 13 years ordinary driving, including tractors. I have seen the trucking forum thanks - and posted to it last time, but forgot this time, der!!! So, I may well post there too, thank you for reminding me.

My nephew is coming over on Saturday so we will have a lot to discuss. Thanks again.

Last edited by JillTr; Feb 19th 2020 at 1:28 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 5:24 pm
Banned

Thanks again, Siouxie, and apologies for the delay in responding - my mind's been on other things, dog emergency operation.

It looks like the AINP Employer-Driven Stream – Semi-Skilled Worker Category is now closed??

Yes, he does have over 2 years HGV experience and about 13 years ordinary driving, including tractors. I have seen the trucking forum thanks - and posted to it last time, but forgot this time, der!!! So, I may well post there too, thank you for reminding me.

My nephew is coming over on Saturday so we will have a lot to discuss. Thanks again.
No need for apologies - and I hope your dog has fully recovered from the operation.

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry for my error - I wasn't aware that the AINP EDS = SSWC has closed. Alberta now only has these options, which doesn't appear to include trucking (but does include Limo drivers, lol): https://www.alberta.ca/ainp-selection-criteria.aspx

It looks like Manitoba still has a stream for Trucking Manitoba Immigration and Economic Opportunities | Immigrate to Manitoba, Canada and are giving trucking companies the opportunity to recruit drivers, so it may be worth his while to see if any are interested in him! NEW Updated Guidelines for Employers and Long Haul Truck Drivers | Manitoba Immigration and Economic Opportunities (perhaps do a search for companies recruiting.... )

Nova Scotia has Truck drivers on their list of In demand stream - NOC 7511 (Transport truck drivers); : https://novascotiaimmigration.com/mo...ons-in-demand/

Hope that's of use... I'd suggest telling your nephew to start seeking employment in one of the Provinces that have a trucking stream asap if he definitely wants to apply for PR.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 19th 2020 at 5:37 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

All great information, thank you!
Old Mar 30th 2020, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi JBA, thanks for responding and for your wonderful offer of help.

To be honest, neither of us thought that my (nephew) would stand any chance of getting a job and have his training paid for. Consequently, I suggested that he try for a visa under the International Experience Canada (IEC) scheme and he was successful and has been awarded a two year working holiday visa.

He was due to fly out - to Calgary - last Tuesday (March 24th) but couldn't due to the Canadian border being closed and, later, all commercial flights were stopped....the day before!! Officially, he has until 27th July to enter Canada (but I'm hoping the deadline will be extended, if necessary, because of the virus). His plan was to stay two nights in Calgary and then he'd paid for 35 nights in an Air BnB in Edmonton (which we'd quickly confirmed was also suitable for him to self-isolate). His intention during this time was to look for more permanent accommodation, see to swapping his driving licence, get his medical etc. and he has been in contact with a truck training organisation in Edmonton (presumably, I can't name them but they're in [no.] Avenue), to do his MELT. Naturally, this is all up in the air now but he is still very keen to go and we're just waiting for the off once more. He is hoping to gain permanent residency - he would hope to move further north, eventually, possibly to somewhere like Rainbow Lake area.

Whereabouts are you based?
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

He was due to fly out - to Calgary - last Tuesday (March 24th) but couldn't due to the Canadian border being closed and, later, all commercial flights were stopped....the day before!! Officially, he has until 27th July to enter Canada (but I'm hoping the deadline will be extended, if necessary, because of the virus).
He comes under an exemption, and so can travel anytime - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-students.html

HTH.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JBAlberta
Hi JllTR,
I live and work in Edmonton AB. You mentioned that your nephew has spoken to a Truck Training school? There are about 3 who train the MELT program. Cameron, Capilano and I think Genaro. Which one has he spoken to? Over the 12 years I have been here I have worked as a Truck instructor at a few truck training schools here. If your nephew does come over to train and exchange his license, he will be given a Class 5 (car) but new drivers or newcomers to Alberta get given a Graduated Drivers License) GDL. They have to pass the Advanced Class 5 car road test to get that removed before they can take the MELT class 1 test. I am now a Commercial Transport Consultant and trainer. I also work for the Alberta Government carrying out audits on Commercial Trucking companies. My web site is <SNIPPED> As I mentioned I would recommend your nephew contact some of the big Trucking companies, I can recommend a few if he wants. If he already has his UK class 1 they would be interested in him. Even if he works for them on a Student work visa, they may well help with costs of MELT.
I came over to Canada on a Temporary Foreign Worker Permit then applied for Permanent Residency and it took about 2 years to be granted. The other thing I found out is you don't have to rely on one type of permit. You can apply a different route while here.
>snipped>
As I mentioned let me know
Best regards
Thank you so much for all of this and your offer of help. He was in contact with Gennaro. He does have class 1.

Would you mind if he made contact with you directly, via your email address <SNIPPED> works earlies, so leaves home ~02.30 (and hence is in bed as I write this, at 19.10)

Thank you again!

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 31st 2020 at 6:13 pm. Reason: emails are not to be shared on the forum, thanks.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
He comes under an exemption, and so can travel anytime - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-students.html

HTH.
Thank you so much for responding.

We heard on March21st that the Canadian government had clarified its original announcements and so we thought it seemed like he could have gone - as a "temporary foreign worker" on a working holiday visa(?) - but then Westjet withdrew all commercial flights so he couldn't get out anyway. (It looks like they are starting flying again in early May.)

I've read the link you included, which is very helpful thank you, as I've been trying, in vain, to get any definitive information from IEC themselves - there's no mention of even the virus etc on their site.

I've also been trying to find the answer to this question, perhaps you may know, please..?! When my nephew reaches Calgary airport, he will be required to self-isolate for 14 days: would you know whether the isolation must take place in Calgary or whether he'd be permitted to travel onward to Edmonton and isolate there? I just can't find the answer to this. Thanks.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JBAlberta
Hi JillTR,
Yes no problem. I look forward to it. The more knowledge a person has the better. Genarro are very good, Bruno is the owner and they are fair.
Best regards
Jerry
Thank you so much !!
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

The isolation instructions are not entirely clear and from stories i'm hearing they vary depending on which CBSA border officer you speak to. The general consensus is that anyone arriving, needs to go to their place of isolation immediately without making any stops, this includes not being able to go food shopping, you have to find someone to do it for you or order shopping online. If he arrives in Calgary then he should isolate in Calgary for 14 days and really there is no advantage to going to Edmonton because he cannot do anything while in isolation anyway, plus he'd need to rent a car for that or use public transport and you cannot do either of those things (unless you keep the rental car throughout) when you are arriving into isolation, you are only allowed to use your personal vehicle or get a lift from household members, the advice for anyone else is to see if they can find a taxi if they are asymptomatic or there is a service to call where specialised transport can be arranged, can't remember the number or department though.

Regarding his overall plan to do his MELT then work as a truck driver on an IEC before applying for residency. After he's done his MELT, he may still struggle finding employment as many companies require 2 years Canadian experience for insurance, there will be companies that don't need this but I suspect he'll be making lots of phonecalls. Bison Transport have a site in Edmonton, Sherwood Park and they will employ people who self funded MELT, but they still require you to do a training mentor program which means long haul with an in cab instructor for a few months before being out alone and a 2 year contract, if he plans on actually doing anything in Canada while on his working "holiday" he's going to struggle while doing long haul trucking, you barely have any time off and when you do, you sleep, shop, cook and maybe have half a day to do something else, it's a slog of a job. I'm also not sure exactly what method he is planning to use to gain residency after or during his IEC, the IEC itself offers nothing towards residency, he would have to qualify under another program and currently Alberta has very few opportunities with LMIAs for truck drivers, i'm talking a handful a year that i've seen, he would need to find one of these jobs and get them to issue him an LMIA and hope it lasts long enough to get through his AINP nomination, the other streams would be express entry which require a degree and related work experience or other totally separate professions, you can't turn an IEC into PR even with a permanent job offer.

Last edited by Kiowan; Apr 2nd 2020 at 9:04 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 9:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiowan
you can't turn an IEC into PR even with a permanent job offer.
You can, via a PNP, so that would be a way for a truck driver with a permanent job offer to get PR (depending on the province they're in of course, truckers aren't eligible in all provinces).

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 2nd 2020 at 9:46 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can, via a PNP, so that would be a way for a truck driver with a permanent job offer to get PR (depending on the province they're in of course, truckers aren't eligible in all provinces).

HTH.
Can you elaborate on this please? You can gain residency via a PNP as a trucker, however you require either an employer with direct PNP enrollment such as some of those in Manitoba (Bison, Agritel, Gladstone), or they need an LMIA first which I mentioned in my post. However, both of those methods don't come from the IEC, the IEC has no bearing on it as you still need to gain a job with an employer who has an LMIA or the employer direct method (Only in MB) and this can be done from the UK as easily as it can be done on tourist holiday in Canada, the IEC itself doesn't contribute to your ability to apply or stay, nor is it factored into it in any way. So the IEC he is on is one thing, but in order to stay he has to look at a totally separate method.

The only way the IEC itself can help with permanent immigration is if you working a skilled occupation while on your IEC and then apply for express entry, as that counts as experience within Canada but that skilled occupation has to be one that gives you points in express entry and trucking is not one of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.