Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rugby World Cup

Rugby World Cup

Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:06 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby World Cup

Holy Batman! Ordinarily I'm not into team sports that much, but this is enough to bring even me out of the woodwork. Cheering for South Africa, of course.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiggs1034
Can you advise, in layman's terms, the best way to do this. How do I set up a UK proxy? Looking after two small boys next weekend I think this is the best way to go about it.

Well one of them is nearly four, and is named Jonny for a very good reason!
The simple way to access UK TV is;

www.liveuktv.com

Subscribe to free 7 day trial, then renew adnauseum with different gmail email accounts as they expire.

Ideal for expat footy, champions league, rugby, cricket etc when there is no local coverage.

If its not on Sky, ITV, BBC etc then for footy cricket etc you might find it here:
http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/
but the feed quality is never as good, and you dont get the UK pundits (or UK commentators). Hard to believe, but after a few years of exposure to ESPN, you start to pine for Motty and Alan Hansen

Last edited by iaink; Oct 15th 2007 at 6:31 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

BritInAB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Subscribe to free 7 day trial, then renew adnauseum with different gmail email accounts as they expire.
They claim to track IP usage - don't they ever block you?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInAB
They claim to track IP usage - don't they ever block you?
They havent yet. Im on my third trial...Im not a heavy user.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Chivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant future

They do make a note of your i.p. address and it will be blocked, trust me from experience. You then will have to go via a proxy address, so it should only be temporary
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:03 pm
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough

www.liveuktv.com

Ideal for expat footy, champions league, rugby, cricket etc when there is no local coverage.

If its not on Sky, ITV, BBC etc then for footy cricket etc you might find it here:
http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/
but the feed quality is never as good, and you dont get the UK pundits (or UK commentators). Hard to believe, but after a few years of exposure to ESPN, you start to pine for Motty and Alan Hansen
It works! At last, a solution! I have just tried it, and am now watching the snooker on BBC2! (....well not for very long, obviously)

Thanks Iaink - a very useful post.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:50 pm
To Infinity and Beyond

Dive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud of

French media reports condom sales have plummeted in France....

It seems you only need one johnny to **** the french!!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

peterb is an unknown quantity at this point

In case anyone is interested. One option is to find someone with Setanta sports and they can pay per view for $35.

The game is then apparently broadcast live on 210 for Setanta subscribers.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chivers52
I've just used this proxy and it went through no problem can't work out why they didn't work, unable to guarantee it's still open though.

81.140.160.26:3128

Try not to use the Codeen proxies, they let you surf but do not work when trying to access any of the terrestial TV sites.
I just tried this...actually I went to 81.140.160.26.3128 and it wouldn't work...in other words I couldn't get on to the internet.

All I want is to be able to bypass the restrictions on Radio 5 for the UK listeners only lark. Any clues.

I want to be able to listen online to the Russia/England match...or view it on my computer w/o downloading sopcast or the like.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by clynnog

All I want is to be able to bypass the restrictions on Radio 5 for the UK listeners only lark. Any clues.
What has been known to work intermittently is to go to the UK google homepage (has to be google.co.uk) and use the translate feature to translate the URL of the radio 5 live stream feed. (you need to go to radio 5 live and right click for the stream properties, not just the player url as I recall)

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

The theory is that google has a UK ip address so is free to upload it. Its a bit hit and miss though, so maybe there is more to it than meets the eye. Not all Radio5 live stuff makes it to the online stream anyway due to licensing conflicts etc.

Liveuktv is your best bet to watch it in my opinion, if you have a fast enough connection, and an understanding boss (mine is an expat himself)

Last edited by iaink; Oct 16th 2007 at 5:26 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

What has been known to work intermittently is to go to the UK google homepage (has to be google.co.uk) and use the translate feature to translate the URL of the radio 5 live stream feed. (you need to go to radio 5 live and right click for the stream properties, not just the player url as I recall)

Thanks for the tip...I just tried it and it worked. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Chivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant future

As I stated proxies get blocked pretty quickly so you have to check on a regular basis. As for watching the England game without downloading some software I'm afraid it's unlikly although there is one link on this site which will be useing windows media player commentary in chinese though. Only the highlights are on BBC1, they are showing the Scotland game instead, so live viewing will either be $25 with Sentanta or free by one of the streams provided by the site below some of which will be English commentary.

http://www.footballstreaming.info/
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterb
In case anyone is interested. One option is to find someone with Setanta sports and they can pay per view for $35.

The game is then apparently broadcast live on 210 for Setanta subscribers.

Setanta also have a freeview service which means you can watch the game but not until the next day or so. So this means avoiding internet access until you get to watch the game and emailling your Ozzie mate who spoiled the England/Australia game for you to tell him not to bloody ring you this time!

Setanta is on 429 in these parts on Rogers.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey if anyone wants to come to my place in Ottawa this saturday I'm showing the game live on my new 42 inch plasma, 3 pm Sharp.
Costing me $25 so you bring the beers, no wife to get in the way!

Oh, may not have any furniture so bring a chair too.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Unfortunately just as the game was beginning, I just got the dreaded voice saying 'due to contractual issues...' and the feed went dead. I'll have to listen to TalkSport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.