Rugby Clubs

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

julielintonanderson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rugby Clubs in SE Calgary

Hi, does anyone know what Rugby clubs there are around McKenzie Lake? We are moving there in about six weeks and my 18 year old is a keen Rugby League player.

He will be looking to make a friend or five - any suggestions on where best he can meet people of his age in South East Calgary?

Thanks

Last edited by julielintonanderson; Jul 23rd 2011 at 3:30 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby Clubs

Calgary rugby club is on Ogden Road, southeast but not terribly close to McKenzie Lake. But not terribly far.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

julielintonanderson,

Rugby LEAGUE club in Calgary? No. Non existent.

Rugby club/s in Calgary. Absolutely. Probably your best bet is to get him onto this site.........

http://www.calgaryrugby.com/league.p...gueInfoID=2184

From Mackenzie Lake, the Hornets look your best bet, geographically- BUT, I would strongly suggest you do some investigating, especially with him being in the youth age group. There are huge quality issues across Canadian Rugby. In short, some clubs have their s*** together far more than others. If you pick a club which lacks organisation, direction & quality coaching, he'll probably walk away sooner rather than later.

The other point you'll need to confirm with him is rugby/rugby league. The latter is not played in Canada with anything approaching an organised, sustainable way.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

He apparently plays Union but is training with Rugby League during the summer months. He has played upto County Level and apparently is an excellent player.
He is also looking to start playing Canadian Football.

I am not much good with these things and so any direction to where he should play would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Not too sure about League, but Union is about. However, due to the winters here the season is short. Expect to play from end of April/ start May (depending on when snow melts) until end of August - into Sept maybe for the older ones. Not the usual 10 month season that occurs in UK.

My Children play for a team here and it costs in Edmonton League $200 per child to register, on top of kit and boots. Plus we also had to sign up for security events (such as U2/Katie Perry) so that the club pulled in the extra cash that way.

JET
Old Jul 31st 2011, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future

Given that your son is 18, not sure how close to 19 (legal drinking age) and that he played a high level in England, it is more than likely he will be playing senior rugby here rather than juniors! Juniors can play Senior rugby here from the age of 17 (In BC with a Parental note). Very few do but occassionaly one or two come up through the ranks at a young age.

Given this, and the fact he has played at a high level, i would look at getting him to the best club in the area for senior mens! There is no real compettion here for u-19's or 20's except at rep level. ( At least in BC) If he is playing at the higher level he will get his chance at the rep levels! He will have more exposure at the top clubs, better coaching, better players around him!

I would say even if you have to drive 30-40 minutes to get to a better club in could be worth it in the long run!

Hope this helps!
Pikey
Old Jul 31st 2011, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Agree with Pikey.

He just needs to ask around, it's certainly not anything like baseball or hockey in terms of popularity, but it won't be long before he meets a 'rugbyhead', then this whole new world will open up. But, most importantly, he'll start getting feedback & to cut a long story short, finding out which club is organised & successful should be his first goal, irrespective of whether it's a drive across the city.

The other thing, is if he is planning on going to university, his first step might be to get online at the school he plans to attend, find out who the coach is........& get in touch. By doing this, he'll also probably get the right answer to point 1, above.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future

I spoke with a friend of mine who plays in Edmonton, and knows the Calgary scene fairly well, he said the saints and the hornets are the two best in terms of best teams and coaches!
Old Jul 31st 2011, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much, you have been a great help.

Cheers
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

The Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really nice
Default Re: Rugby Clubs in SE Calgary

Originally Posted by julielintonanderson
Hi, does anyone know what Rugby clubs there are around McKenzie Lake? We are moving there in about six weeks and my 18 year old is a keen Rugby League player.

He will be looking to make a friend or five - any suggestions on where best he can meet people of his age in South East Calgary?

Thanks
Hi did you manage to find a rugby club last Summer? I know league is not big in Canada But my hubby does coach 7s rugby at the end of the union season. If you need any more info pm PM me
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

No rugby league unless in you are in Ontario, you play in summer standard is not that good but it's so much fun

I played league in England