Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rude and privileged employers ?

Rude and privileged employers ?

Old May 21st 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all
Default Re: Rude and privileged employers ?

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I belong to an expat-kiwi group on linked-in. right now a bunch of them are talking about working in the UK, and there is a similar theme. The feeling that they're penalized for not being local/British. etc. etc.
Point them in the direction of the Daily Mail. They'll soon learn how it's actually massively advantageous to not be local/British
Old May 21st 2013, 7:56 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't even think there are any more dipsticks in HR in Canada than anywhere else.
I couldn't agree more, I think that the world percentage of dipsticks is probably pretty evenly distributed. I don't think Canada has more.
Old May 22nd 2013, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oddly enough I don't think it is floatsy. The vast majority of people I meet are nice, down to earth, hardworking (when they can find it) individuals. There are a small handful of dipsticks who seem to get into HR Departments and seem to run amok....don't let it put you off, or discourage you...and that can be bloody hard when you are feeling a bit fragile, I know. Very best of luck
Thanks, Millie, Jon, exKiwilass.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 1:33 pm
b2b
Just Joined

b2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really nice

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am pretty sure that b2b has had other user names and has posted on this site many times before. Don't make the mistake of thinking that his wittering is about any sort of reality outside his own head.
It seems people find the post useful. Not sure exactly what your problem is. You're possibly one of those irritating people who make a post you don't like look like there's something dubious about it. Grow up
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:10 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by b2b
It seems people find the post useful. Not sure exactly what your problem is. You're possibly one of those irritating people who make a post you don't like look like there's something dubious about it. Grow up
oh, leave him alone. JBE is one of the few actually useful posters on this board, unlike, say, me. And a few others.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by b2b
It seems people find the post useful.
Cannot imagine why, as it does not reflect my experience of Vancouver specifically over the past 20 years. Your scenario could have happened anywhere, London included.

From your previous post it sounds like you became the employer type you described.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:25 pm
b2b
Just Joined

b2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aviator
Cannot imagine why, as it does not reflect my experience of Vancouver specifically over the past 20 years. Your scenario could have happened anywhere, London included.

From your previous post it sounds like you became the employer type you described.
Well prepare to be surprised. Your comment is contradictory. You've been in Vancouver a very long time so your experience would be of limited interest to someone considering the move. I lived there a few years and have much more recent experience of arriving and settling. With respect with the time you have been there you seem to be fully integrated. I'm a little surprised you bother responding on these boards as most of your posts seem negative and you take great offence if anyone criticises the place. I mean you say "look at it from the employer's perspective". Why on earth would any potential employee want to do that. Employers in Vancouver are fiercly criticised for good reason. Since returning to Britain I have found the process far more professional and you're not penalised by not having half a billion facebook 'friends' or attending some of those cheesy networking events mostly populated by (wannabe) door-to-door salesmen that think their better-than-facebook concept will make them the single most powerful geek on the planet. Glad to be out of there for all reasons other than the wonderful geography.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:49 pm
b2b
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
oh, leave him alone. JBE is one of the few actually useful posters on this board, unlike, say, me. And a few others.
Not from my perspective. I'm sure pleased some of you choose to stay away from Britain
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by b2b
Not from my perspective. I'm sure pleased some of you choose to stay away from Britain
Oh, come on! He's an endless source of information about tax matters and a great help to many. He's grumpy about Vancouver, most people there are, but that's just how people get when they have to deal with near constant drizzle.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 3:36 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh, come on! He's an endless source of information about tax matters and a great help to many. He's grumpy about Vancouver, most people there are, but that's just how people get when they have to deal with near constant drizzle.
Hey, SAD is a real disorder mister
Old Jun 6th 2013, 4:23 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by b2b
And we're pleased some choose to leave Canada
Old Jun 6th 2013, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by b2b
I mean you say "look at it from the employer's perspective". Why on earth would any potential employee want to do that.
Maybe because these are the people who create the jobs, that create wealth to pay wages and drive the economy?
Old Jun 6th 2013, 5:30 pm
b2b
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Maybe because these are the people who create the jobs, that create wealth to pay wages and drive the economy?
Hardly. Most recruiters are wage slaves. What you're talking about is the entrepreneurs like myself I might add, that help make companies very wealthy and therefore help retain jobs and prospects. In the 6 months of consulting with a company in UK I increased revenues single handedly by £4m. That's what creates jobs and stability for people.

Although I think we have digressed from the appalling way Vancouver employers treat people. You say they are job creators but I don't agree in most cases. Those hiring are puppets and they just do what they're instructed to do. Those are the people I have most issue with because they lack basic decency and manners in dealing with candidates who are people at the end of the day.

My experience dealing with US and UK recruiters is very different. Although to its benefit I find working life once you have a job in Vancouver can be more relaxed.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
My friends husband has been out of work for about 6 months he has sent about 3000 or so apllications and followed up and heard nothing. As I said I think its a gobal thing really. Its an employers market with the current world down turn and basically they can pick and choose and treat people as they wish
Not in Alberta, or not in Calgary at any rate, what I find is that the reason managers are hopeless is because they have been put in a position they aren't qualified for. And when they are qualified they don't stick around for long because they can get a better job.

The work culture isn't as bad as the States though, not imx anyway. But it's tough to generalize on topics like this.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:41 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjones
Canadians as a rule tend to say what they think you want to hear.
Yes because there is zero tolerance of your taking responsibility for any mistakes you make. But that is just culture in general, people in Canada don't seem to like to take responsibility imx.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.