Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Royal bank of Canada

Royal bank of Canada

Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold
Default Royal bank of Canada

Anyone bank with these or had any experiences with this bank??
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future
Default Re: Royal bank of Canada

Our experience has been good so far...they opened an account before we arrived on a work permit and have since given me a credit card and mortgage. whenever we have needed anything we have found them helpful and responsive.

Originally Posted by Sarahad
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:47 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Looked at all of the big ones. Went with TD. They all charge and are years behind the UK.

Nice folk though.

J

Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:24 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Had no problems...

[nice people, nice branding, nice clean buildings, ATM is always clean and free of puke/Friday nite fried rice etc]

RBC were more receptive and helpful than other banks were, had no hassles with banking, deposits, account transfers etc.

Rich.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

The day after arriving in Ottawa I went to TD and opened two acounts - saving and chequing. I asked for a visa card, and she almost laughed - "you've only been here 24 hours, you won't get credit". A couple of weeks later I went to RBC to look at my RSP (my employer offer RBC or ScotiaBank) and while there the manager was introduced to me, the lady who interviewed me offered me two accounts, a visa card and invited me to apply for a mortgage and credit line - both of which I got.
A couple of weeks ago I wanted to see her again and she kept me waiting about five minutes - no time at all. But she sent a pile of Tim Hortons vouchers out to me for being late.
I would recommend RBC without a moments hesitation. I would advise against TD.
If anyone wants to know the RBC branch and lady in question - pm me. Several of my colleagues have switched to her and this branch following my experiences.
p.s. The account I got offers free bank drafts - these are like guarenteed cheques. I used them to send across to the UK to pay the mortgage over there. TD would have charged for them.

Last edited by Snave; Aug 31st 2006 at 10:39 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:03 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

I would also recommend RBC.
Good products and service. Like the way you get direct phone lines to the staff, should you need anything. They greet you by your Christian names and we have just moved our new mortgage to them aswell. We were previously with ATB and they were chronic!!! Messed up from day one and I swore I would move and just have!!!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

We opened a current account with RBC once we arrived in Canada, they were very helpful and I have no complaints with them. The fees are a bit of a pain in the ass but I paid a monthly fee for my current account in the UK so suppose I'm used to it. Have considered changing to a fee free bank like PC Financial but haven't looked in to it that much. They don' seem to have as many branches as some of the other banks but always manage to find one. I try an use their ATMs (or ABMs) in order to avoid still further fees!

Mark
Old Sep 1st 2006, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Good experiences then really!! Thanks. I emailed Canada TD and they said I cant open and account from UK before I come to Canada as need to visit a branch but Royal have told me I can set one up now and start putting money in it ready for when we get to canada which is what i want really. They said just call at branch when arrive to get all bank privilages.

Also - What have people done or doing with money from sale of their house?? I havent a clue what to do as Barclays have told me I could transfer the money to Canada account when there but would charge and can only do £5000 at a time?!?!?! Whats the best thing to do with all your house sale money so you can access it to buy a prop in Canada??
Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:17 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Also - What have people done or doing with money from sale of their house?? I havent a clue what to do as Barclays have told me I could transfer the money to Canada account when there but would charge and can only do £5000 at a time?!?!?! Whats the best thing to do with all your house sale money so you can access it to buy a prop in Canada??
We used HIFX, you can transfer all the dosh from Barclays to HIFX for no charge then straight to Canadian account for a reasonable Exchange rate.

They occassionally appear in banners on this site and of course you can google them (or a competitor such as moneycorp).

HTH
Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
We used HIFX, you can transfer all the dosh from Barclays to HIFX for no charge then straight to Canadian account for a reasonable Exchange rate.

They occassionally appear in banners on this site and of course you can google them (or a competitor such as moneycorp).

HTH
Thanks will look into that.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Good experiences then really!! Thanks. I emailed Canada TD and they said I cant open and account from UK before I come to Canada as need to visit a branch....
We have done this with TD so it is possible - it sounds like some of you are being contacted by people that don't know what they are doing !! It was a very simple process for us

Having said that, if RBC make the process easier, then I would go with them
Old Sep 1st 2006, 12:10 pm
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone have anything to say about CIBC? We have looked at both them and Royal Bank of Canada. Both have barnches near out new location, and the only deciding factor for us is that CIBC open on a Saturday.

Any good / bad reports on CIBC?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 12:17 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I can confirm the good reports about RBC, they opened an account for me 12 months before we emigrated, and I never had any trouble getting a credit card or a car loan when we arrived.

Since then I have used them for funding on several ventures, and they have been consistently good.

The Internet access is very good, and it has several useful features.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 12:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiggs1034
Does anyone have anything to say about CIBC? We have looked at both them and Royal Bank of Canada. Both have barnches near out new location, and the only deciding factor for us is that CIBC open on a Saturday.

CIBC and PC Financial are closely associated, using a PC or CIBC card is free at CIBC machines. CIBC charges for having an account, PC doesn't. I'm not with CIBC.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 2:47 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wiggs1034

My RBC branch is open on Sat's and late nights on a Thurs until 7pm, which is dead handy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.