Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Road Trip - Idaho/Montana

Wikiposts

Road Trip - Idaho/Montana

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road Trip - Idaho/Montana

I did a search - honest !

I know a few of you have headed south over the border from BC and Alberta for mini holidays ...

Anyone got any comments of good places to go/stay (or alternatively places to avoid) ?

We were thinking a rough route might be

From Banff-ish, head south onto Highway 93/95 down through to Kimberley and south over the US border (looks like the crossing point is called Eastport - any comments?)

- then keep heading south towards Coeur d"Alene (lots of lakes on map - anything worth a look-see?)

- take Highway 90 eastwards (via white-water rafting trip) towards some other road junction (!)

- then either head north-east-ish to Kalispell and across eastbound - then north again

- or go further over towards Great Falls and then head north again

- thinking of then heading back north over the border via Waterton Parks and Head-Smashed-in-Buffalo-Jump - and home.

Somewhere in this area is a road that several people have previously mentioned - The Sun / Golden Sun / Rising Sun (I know there is the word Sun in there somewhere!). Where is that exactly? Is it Highway 2?

Any comments / advice / suggestions gratefully received folks. Bear in mind I have two girls aged 9 and 11 - thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:23 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Trip - Idaho/Montana

Originally Posted by ann m
I did a search - honest !

I know a few of you have headed south over the border from BC and Alberta for mini holidays ...

Anyone got any comments of good places to go/stay (or alternatively places to avoid) ?

We were thinking a rough route might be

From Banff-ish, head south onto Highway 93/95 down through to Kimberley and south over the US border (looks like the crossing point is called Eastport - any comments?)

- then keep heading south towards Coeur d"Alene (lots of lakes on map - anything worth a look-see?)

- take Highway 90 eastwards (via white-water rafting trip) towards some other road junction (!)

- then either head north-east-ish to Kalispell and across eastbound - then north again

- or go further over towards Great Falls and then head north again

- thinking of then heading back north over the border via Waterton Parks and Head-Smashed-in-Buffalo-Jump - and home.

Somewhere in this area is a road that several people have previously mentioned - The Sun / Golden Sun / Rising Sun (I know there is the word Sun in there somewhere!). Where is that exactly? Is it Highway 2?

Any comments / advice / suggestions gratefully received folks. Bear in mind I have two girls aged 9 and 11 - thanks
Kalispell/white fish

Great Falls

Coeur d'alene

Waterton

The road your looking for is highway to the sun If you like RED meat head for Babb (FN reserve) in US great food, service is a little slow, you can cross back into Canada at Chief Mountain TINY border crossing but literally on the edge of Waterton Park.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Museum of the Plains Indians in Browning MT

http://www.doi.gov/iacb/museums/museum_plains.html

Outstanding

Don't forget the US side of Waterton - Glacier NP

http://www.nps.gov/glac/
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:02 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Museum of the Plains Indians in Browning MT

http://www.doi.gov/iacb/museums/museum_plains.html

Outstanding

Don't forget the US side of Waterton - Glacier NP

http://www.nps.gov/glac/
DOH, the highway to the Sun runs THROUGH Glacier NP
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
DOH, the highway to the Sun runs THROUGH Glacier NP
You are quite right it does, but it is not the only way around the park, US2 goes around the park. It's quite easy to get into Waterton on the east side using US17 and miss most of Glacier. FYI it's 'Going to the Sun Rd' Dah
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:53 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to make sure that the "Going to the Sun" Highway is fully open - it was closed about half way along when we went through it last year and we had to double back a bit, although the scenery was worth it! Small taster of said road attached.

We stayed in Kalispell which seemed ok. Whitefish looked quite interesting in terms of some little shops and restaurants but we were pushed for time.
Attached Thumbnails Road Trip - Idaho/Montana-dsc03372.jpg  
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you guys Keep 'em coming.

Looks like that "Sun" Road ( ) should be open in July ....
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You are quite right it does, but it is not the only way around the park, US2 goes around the park. It's quite easy to get into Waterton on the east side using US17 and miss most of Glacier. FYI it's 'Going to the Sun Rd' Dah
OK OK Just call me Homer
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Are you travelling on Canadian passports or UK passports with PR cards or other visas? If the latter, be advised that at the US border control you will be pulled over and have to fill in visa application forms which can take quite a while (we were kept waiting for about 90 minutes (no line). That was at Roosville (on the 93). It was cheap, about $4 US per visa but time-consuming and you have to make sure the green slip is handed back to the US border controls on leaving the USA (or within three months) or you get put on a blacklist. The Canadian border officers won't ask for it, you have to volunteer it.

Just a few miles down the road from Roosville you can turn off for Lake Koocanusa at Rexford. This is a huge lake with lots of campsites and amenities. On the far side of the lake is the West Kootenai Amish community which runs a special restaurant which does a brilliant evening meal (book in advance, it's VERY popular). This is Tobacco Valley and there is a special section just for this area but all of northern Montana is just glorious with plenty of hiking, fishing etc. and spectacular views.

When you need to re-supply, Rexford has only the basics, just a few miles further along the road Eureka is a truly 'Western' style small town with the advantage of a bank with a cashpoint, Whitefish is bigger with more shops, etc. and the great backdrop of the Big Mountain looming over the town... Kalispell is just gigantic - there's a useful large outlet mall and Costco on the road in from Whitefish (prices generally cheaper than Canada) but other than for stocking up you're better off staying somewhere less urban.

There's so much info online - and you can pick up a whole host of tourist brochures at the Roosville crossing or in Rexford to give you ideas. IMO Montana folk are very pleasant and welcoming and there's enough to see and do for all tastes. The temptation is to rush at it but I've learned my lesson and the next trip I will just meander, slowly! Have a great time (I'm envious already)
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Ann

The route you have suggested is a good one, but I would consider doing it "clockwise" rather than "anti-clockwise". I think you get better views doing it that way

I would also suggest staying in Whitefish rather than Kalispell. The Pine lodge in Whitefish is very good, reasonable and has an indoor/ourdoor pool that overlooks a watered area that, each time we have been there, has been visited by wildlife.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't done the USA bits yet.

Have been to Kimberley and the mine tour/little train is worth doing and works even if its raining. Moyie lake (South of Cranbrook) is good for a warm swim and has showers too to wash off the sand afterwards. South of Moyie lake en route is a small village beginning with Y and this has a nice lunch place/ice cream stop and 5 min walk down to river.

Creston (if your crossing point is slighlty different) we really liked and can recommend:
Blueberry picking at Blueberry patch (good pies and lunch here too), Paddled canoe safari at wetlands wildlife centre and tour of Kokanee brewery which is a little like Blue Peter. WE stayed at a really nice very reasonable B and B with pool and only two rooms so you would have the run of the place.

Gryph
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

PS

Forte Steele may be worth a visit- we liked it.

Lots of ski condos to stay in in Kimberley, pretty good value. I think we paid ~$100 per night for a one bedroom condo with sofa bed and there was an outdoor pool (although there may be a two night min.)
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:44 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Ann, I have heard that Coer D Alene (sp?) is fab but we enjoy north Montana so much we haven't yet made it across to Idaho But yes the Going to the Sun road is a definate must do - if you don't want to drive it or have a vehicle to big (RV) then there are hoppa bus type things that you can jump on jump off. Don't think about actually staying in Browning Great Falls is a huge let down and in my opinion really not worth the extra distance - I would rather spend the time in Whitefish or Waterton or even going across to Writing on the Stone.

As for things to do in Kalispell/Whitefish - there is lots. Huge waterslide adventure park, racing on Saturday nights, Big Mountain has a walk through the trees thing in the summer and there is an amazing historic house to visit Conrad Mansion - it's fab

http://visitmt.com/

We're planning on another trip down this summer - this time looking at antiques - beds proabably saw some lovely ones in the spring - hey ho it's only money, always costs an arm and a leg when we go down
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Go a little further and take a look at Spokane too - mega place to visit lots to do and probably an hour or so from Coeur d'alene.

Personally I didnt like Great Falls - had heard a lot over the years from my aunt about it but I prefer Spokane.

White Fish and Kallispell have got to be a MUST for your trip
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
OK OK Just call me Homer
OK Homer! If you're still around YYZ I'll wave as I go out tonight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.