Road Rage

Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Rage

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Road rage in Calgary is very rare.
I'd have to agree with Butch - I've seen quite a few cases, and been the victim of it myself.

I wonder if it's a North/South thing?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Calgal
I'd have to agree with Butch - I've seen quite a few cases, and been the victim of it myself.

If theres 2 things here that really really bug me it would have to be the rip off that is ICBC and the way people drive.

The only reason i can see for not encountering road rage is the fact you dont get eye contact with them as they just carrying on like they were in the right. I have given up counting the amount of time pedestrians just step into your path and walk across the road and dont even have the courtesy to give you a nod etc when theyve crossed when they shouldnt!
Drivers dont understand the word MERGE or YIELD as far as i can see. Winds me up no end when im waiting in a slip road to the highway and theres a driver on the lane and they dont move over even if there is nothing on the other lane. Its like they dont have forward planning or think im on this road so tough!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jempee
If theres 2 things here that really really bug me it would have to be the rip off that is ICBC and the way people drive.

The only reason i can see for not encountering road rage is the fact you dont get eye contact with them as they just carrying on like they were in the right. I have given up counting the amount of time pedestrians just step into your path and walk across the road and dont even have the courtesy to give you a nod etc when theyve crossed when they shouldnt!
Drivers dont understand the word MERGE or YIELD as far as i can see. Winds me up no end when im waiting in a slip road to the highway and theres a driver on the lane and they dont move over even if there is nothing on the other lane. Its like they dont have forward planning or think im on this road so tough!
You're exactly right, jempee - we've discussed this on here before, it's like they don't think (or sometimes even SEE) beyond their own dashboard! It's no wonder there are so many accidents. Drives me insane!

A local driving instructor told us that anyone who learned/passed their test in Europe, is streets ahead of the typical Canadian driver; simply because we're taught much better. Here it's more or less 'point and shoot'. If you want quality lessons that include defensive driving techniques you have to look for them and pay a lot more.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 6:04 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

what you mean if you're from the northern hemisphere you witness it, if from the sothern hemisphere you dont??

Seriously I've seen it in the south as well. (actually I havent seen it downtown or in the 'hood'..............)
Old Jan 29th 2007, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
what you mean if you're from the northern hemisphere you witness it, if from the sothern hemisphere you dont??

Seriously I've seen it in the south as well. (actually I havent seen it downtown or in the 'hood'..............)
I haven't seen it in downtown either (mind you, I don't go there very often). Most I've seen is in Crowfoot!

Some really stooooopid actions there - like queuing into the intersection when they can't exit and blocking it for everyone else! :curse: :curse:
Old Jan 29th 2007, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

I always hold my coffee in the hand that doesnt have the donut\cellphone\burger in (or isnt gesturing at the a**hole who just swerved in front of me to leave the highway at the junction that is five feet away)
PMSL.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Arris
Interested to know if there is much 'road rage' across Canada.

Here in the UK it seems to be a common part of everyday life - from the 1 or 2 finger salute because somebody cut you up, to a full blown argument..........& in some extreme cases even assult & worse.
I've seen my fair share. Both involved and as a bystander (bydriver?). I have a private plate on my car now, so try and keep my interaction with fellow motorists to a minimum

Make no mistake, people in this country can't drive for anything. I thought it was awful in the UK, but they're a picture of awesome driving over there compared to here.

Points to note:

1) People don't know how to signal. At all. Whether it be lane changing on the 401, or some old biddy in the middle of smalltown. I've been waiting at many an intersection for ages and missed my chance to pull out because someone turning in couldn't be arsed to indicate. The last time I pointed this out to a gentleman (a big fat mess in a pick up), he invited me to discuss outside of his vehicle...

2) Lane Discipline - or lack thereof. It's not the law here, but coming from a place where it is, it WILL frustrate and lead to some fingers to fly. "If you can't beat em..." sort of attitude is needed with regards to this.

3) General selfishness. Anyone who gets stuck at the 401/Dixie funnel outside of Toronto in rush hour will appreciate this. 22 lanes goes down to 6 - merging required. Nobody will dare let you in though in the permanent crawl. People see it as a sign of weakness. They will almost rather crash than let you in. Couple this with these guys who think they're so important, they'll drive 100m down the shoulder before trying to merge - when they could have easily have pulled in behind you when it was legal.

4) Out of towners driving in the city. Some people just aren't used to the high-paced city way of moving around. And it shows.

All these combine to form some amusing incidents. I've been pretty lucky here, only ever had one guy try and ram me off the road.

I actually did see two blokes in the middle of a jam on the 401 trying to force each other off the highway, weaving around and then finally getting out and giving each other a slap
Old Jan 29th 2007, 6:31 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen it in downtown either (mind you, I don't go there very often). Most I've seen is in Crowfoot!

Some really stooooopid actions there - like queuing into the intersection when they can't exit and blocking it for everyone else! :curse: :curse:
Macleod\Glenmore can get 'interesting'. Crowfoot\NoseHill is (literally) a scream around 5:30\6. Best I've ever seen is where Deerfoot forks off to Anderson, Cars stopped on either side of the fork whilst the WOMEN PASSENGERS exchanged words and slaps.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 6:34 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Little road rage here in K-Town but occasional incidents of appalingly bad driving either on H-97 (Highway to Hell) or one the side roads, mall parking lot etc. A combo of myopic old folks in large trucks or RV's, or drug crazed truck drivin' partyin' country yoots/'Bertans in cowboy hats ruins the touristy ambience.

Rich.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

PROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant future

Weaving seem's popular in Southern Alberta - Witness to 2 dudes weaving like a 16th century tapestry - Then at the lights they were fist pumping, censored language and spitting bullets......difference to UK???

Uk drivers would have got out and had a rumble - here they decide a draw is better

Phil
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PROLLINSON
Weaving seem's popular in Southern Alberta - Witness to 2 dudes weaving like a 16th century tapestry - Then at the lights they were fist pumping, censored language and spitting bullets......difference to UK???

Uk drivers would have got out and had a rumble - here they decide a draw is better

Phil
Phil, my dear chap, can you tell me which language you are using please?
And maybe translate?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

PROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve666
Phil, my dear chap, can you tell me which language you are using please?
And maybe translate?
Think of Emmerdale.......Amos with a younger twang!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PROLLINSON
Think of Emmerdale.......Amos with a younger twang!
Right you aaaare mister wilks
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Make no mistake, people in this country can't drive for anything. I thought it was awful in the UK, but they're a picture of awesome driving over there compared to here.

Wishful thinking... but it would be great if blanket statements weren't made.