Reload this Page >

Ringing prospective employers

Wikiposts

Ringing prospective employers

Old Aug 8th 2008, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

feijoa will become famous soon enoughfeijoa will become famous soon enough
Default Ringing prospective employers

After reading numerous threads (and the Wiki!) about how to increase one's chances of getting a job in Canada my OH has taken to ringing prospective employers about the possibility of jobs, but he is coming up against alot of answer machines. He leaves messages but very few return his calls.
He rings back at a later date but still the same thing. Would it be fair to say that it is a waste of time and energy chasing these people?
Have other people had experience of this and is there any advice others can offer?
We are also wondering how long it has taken people (if they got one that is)to get a job this way in the IT field.
I look forward to hearing that there is some hope for those of us trying to get jobs from outside Canada!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:23 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ringing prospective employers

What time are you calling? You will get voice mail if the firm is closed as well as from many smaller firms. My suggestion is to do the following:
  1. Call and find out who is in charge of hiring, get the correct spelling of their name and e-mail address if possible.
  2. Mail or e-mail as a pdf if you have their e-mail address a resume, with a cover letter stating you will follow up on a specific date and time. Give it time to arrive and for them to read it. Ask them to e-mail you with an alternative date and time if this is not convenient.
  3. Call at the appointed time. If they are interested they may speak to you.

Cold calling, whether trying to sell something or looking for work can be a nuisance and interrupts the persons day. People looking for work from overseas can be quite common, especially with them then asking for help getting into the country. Many jobs are now posted stating 'must be legally entitled to work in Canada' for this very reason.

If your skill set is unique or something in high demand, them having seen your resume might help open the door. In your letter, tell them your current immigration status and what if anything you want from them. No point wasting theirs or your time if they are not willing to do this. You could also put a note saying that if they wish to speak to you sooner they can call or e-mail you.

Of course you cannot beat actually coming here in person.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

agree with above, but we also made a note of the employers and visited them when we were there, got some mix response but it worked out for us in the end,

Canada here we come !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
agree with above, but we also made a note of the employers and visited them when we were there, got some mix response but it worked out for us in the end,

Canada here we come !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me too, before we went over on a recce to NS I first emailed my resume off to potential employers who I wanted to meet up with when we went over.
It took me 10 calls to get to talk to one HR woman at one company. I then was able to introduce myself and explain what I was doing. When we were over in NS I went to see her and spent 1.5 hours looking round the company and talking to various different people there. After returning to the UK I was offered a job by that company, and am currently waiting on an LMO so that I can apply for a TWP. We have sold the house and hope to be over there in 8-10 weeks.
Perseverence is what you need, if at first.....
Good luck
Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

big steveo

your story sounds the same as ours spooky real spooky
to the word real spooky
Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of

big steveo

your story sounds the same as ours spooky real spooky
to the word real spooky
When are you off then CD?
Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

we are looking at first week oct with any luck, thats if the dam LMO gets here :curse: when it does were off house sold, moving out end sept then straight to airport yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:00 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

we are looking at first week oct with any luck, thats if the dam LMO gets here :curse: when it does were off house sold, moving out end sept then straight to airport yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Are you getting your wp at poe ?cd
every thing else ready to go
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

thats the plan
Old Aug 9th 2008, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
What time are you calling? You will get voice mail if the firm is closed as well as from many smaller firms. My suggestion is to do the following:
  1. Call and find out who is in charge of hiring, get the correct spelling of their name and e-mail address if possible.
  2. Mail or e-mail as a pdf if you have their e-mail address a resume, with a cover letter stating you will follow up on a specific date and time. Give it time to arrive and for them to read it. Ask them to e-mail you with an alternative date and time if this is not convenient.
  3. Call at the appointed time. If they are interested they may speak to you.

Cold calling, whether trying to sell something or looking for work can be a nuisance and interrupts the persons day. People looking for work from overseas can be quite common, especially with them then asking for help getting into the country. Many jobs are now posted stating 'must be legally entitled to work in Canada' for this very reason.

If your skill set is unique or something in high demand, them having seen your resume might help open the door. In your letter, tell them your current immigration status and what if anything you want from them. No point wasting theirs or your time if they are not willing to do this. You could also put a note saying that if they wish to speak to you sooner they can call or e-mail you.

Of course you cannot beat actually coming here in person.
Hi Surrey Expat,
Many thanks for your reply.
We did find after a while that we hadn't allowed for daylight savings when working out calling times so that explained some of the answer phones!
My OH has not phoned for jobs that have asked for applications not to call. Thought that would be a sure fire way to NOT get the job!
We have thought about OH going over to see people in person but the cost from NZ (where we are) is alot. I know that it is an investment in our future in Canada but we don't have the resources to keep flying over to Canada to network.
Thanks for your suggestions re. actually trying to contact people. Will make sure hubby takes them onboard
Old Aug 9th 2008, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Big Stevo
Me too, before we went over on a recce to NS I first emailed my resume off to potential employers who I wanted to meet up with when we went over.
It took me 10 calls to get to talk to one HR woman at one company. I then was able to introduce myself and explain what I was doing. When we were over in NS I went to see her and spent 1.5 hours looking round the company and talking to various different people there. After returning to the UK I was offered a job by that company, and am currently waiting on an LMO so that I can apply for a TWP. We have sold the house and hope to be over there in 8-10 weeks.
Perseverence is what you need, if at first.....
Good luck
Hey Big Stevo,
Thanks for your reply and letting us know it took 10 calls to try and get hold of someone!
The few people that OH has spoken to have given mixed responses. One said they were reluctant to to hire foreigners as they had done so in the past and then the employees left when their time was up. Trying to convince prospective that you won't do that is kinda hard!
Another person said he couldn't discuss the job as it was in competition.
I know we(or should I say hubby) have to just keep plugging away until we finally speak to someone willing to give us a chance.
Thanks again and all the best for your big move!!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by feijoa
Hey Big Stevo,
Thanks for your reply and letting us know it took 10 calls to try and get hold of someone!
The few people that OH has spoken to have given mixed responses. One said they were reluctant to to hire foreigners as they had done so in the past and then the employees left when their time was up. Trying to convince prospective that you won't do that is kinda hard!
Another person said he couldn't discuss the job as it was in competition.
I know we(or should I say hubby) have to just keep plugging away until we finally speak to someone willing to give us a chance.
Thanks again and all the best for your big move!!

Just to say, not all firms are the same, I have just picked up a job at the firm i wanted to work for, after doing research into all the local suitable firms (and the only one i applied for, five min walk from our house). I dropped my resume in by hand rather than phone or e-mail to HR dept, by the time i had driven up into town i had a phone call asking me if i could pop back to see them, 15 mins later i had the job. the job was f/t but i only wanted to work flexi p/t and they were happy with that.
Face to face is still the best way to sell yourself.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nikki Ian
Just to say, not all firms are the same, I have just picked up a job at the firm i wanted to work for, after doing research into all the local suitable firms (and the only one i applied for, five min walk from our house). I dropped my resume in by hand rather than phone or e-mail to HR dept, by the time i had driven up into town i had a phone call asking me if i could pop back to see them, 15 mins later i had the job. the job was f/t but i only wanted to work flexi p/t and they were happy with that.
Face to face is still the best way to sell yourself.
Hi Nikki Ian,
I take it from your reply that you are already in Canada? We have applied for PR but that is some way off so trying to get a job so we can get there faster (like so many others)!
Thanks for your reply
Old Aug 9th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

http://careers.fraserhealth.ca/vacan...earch=excluded

http://www.viha.ca/careers/job_posti...on_technology/

http://www.bctechnology.com/frameset_emp.html
Hi feijoa,
Found more It postings in Metro Vancouver.Good luck.
Yoong
Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Yoong
Hi Yoong,
You are a gem! Thanks for taking the time to look these up. I'll get my OH onto the sites tonight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.