Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ridiculous offer on house

Ridiculous offer on house

Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ridiculous offer on house

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Are you serious? In this climate I don't think people need estate agents to advise how much to bid!

I'm not an estate agent!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

jandn has a brilliant futurejandn has a brilliant futurejandn has a brilliant futurejandn has a brilliant futurejandn has a brilliant futurejandn has a brilliant futurejandn has a brilliant futurejandn has a brilliant future

Your home is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!! In a buyers market they have the upper hand and as house prices were overinflated anyway cant blame them for trying.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm not an estate agent!
You sound like one
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:16 pm
50 and wanting to go back

jimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant future
Post Re: Ridiculous offer on house

Originally Posted by dexdaw
You put it on way over the odds in a falling market because you think thats what its worth? Won't it stand out like a sore thumb against everything else that is realistically priced? How will you ever sell it?
Originally Posted by loser40
+1
We really dont want to sell at the moment, the point was to let people know we will take offers. We have had it on 2 weeks and all the phone calls are due to people driving around. Now i didnt expect anyone to be looking or buying, so when the time comes if we havent had any offers on the property then we can drop. There was a house just before xmas which went for the price we have put it on at so we will see. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:18 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albertabound
My house asking price is now £169950.00
Why are you advertising it at 169,950, and not 170,000? Are people still blindly following the the notion that "4.99 looks like better value than 5.00".

In a depressed market surely this works against you! When I first saw your statement that your house was on for 169,950, my gut reaction was "Well, that's 160,000, so knock off 25% and that's 120,000."

If you advertise at 169,950, you might as well be giving them the 10 grand, because nobody - but nobody - is going to consider the 9,950 as anything other than fluff. But if you advertise at a straight 170,000, it gives you an immediate mental milestone that is just that little bit harder even for a predatory vendor to breach.

In my personal opinion, round numbers also give off the impression that this could be a straightforward transaction with someone who knows exactly what they want to get, rather than the usual "silly offer, indignation, counter offer, hmmmm, bit more, okay then" charade that goes on with a vendor who probably doesn't know what they want to get, only that they want to get as much as they can.

Don't give away 10,000 for 50 quid.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:21 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are you advertising it at 169,950, and not 170,000? Are people still blindly following the the notion that "4.99 looks like better value than 5.00".

In a depressed market surely this works against you! When I first saw your statement that your house was on for 169,950, my gut reaction was "Well, that's 160,000, so knock off 25% and that's 120,000."

If you advertise at 169,950, you might as well be giving them the 10 grand, because nobody - but nobody - is going to consider the 9,950 as anything other than fluff. But if you advertise at a straight 170,000, it gives you an immediate mental milestone that is just that little bit harder even for a predatory vendor to breach.

In my personal opinion, round numbers also give off the impression that this could be a straightforward transaction with someone who knows exactly what they want to get, rather than the usual "silly offer, indignation, counter offer, hmmmm, bit more, okay then" charade that goes on with a vendor who probably doesn't know what they want to get, only that they want to get as much as they can.

What an interesting viewpoint.

I would never have seen it that way.

169,900 most likely but never 160,000
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:28 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Good in theory but the flip side is that if you go on at £170K the chance are that on places like rightmove the searches are generated on minimum and maximum prices and if you put in £170 then it disregards all those outside of the minimums and maximums. You are reducing the numbers that can find you on the searches and therefore could miss vital searches for the sake of a fiver or fifty quid or whatever.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:33 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping_Beauty45
Good in theory but the flip side is that if you go on at £170K the chance are that on places like rightmove the searches are generated on minimum and maximum prices and if you put in £170 then it disregards all those outside of the minimums and maximums. You are reducing the numbers that can find you on the searches and therefore could miss vital searches for the sake of a fiver or fifty quid or whatever.
You won't miss that many people. If my real budget for buying was 160,000, I'd definitely be looking at houses listed above 200,000.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

These buyers "found out" that we are emigrating and my husband has already gone.
Made an offer of £50,000 less than asking price. I have already reduced it by £20,000 so that makes it £70,000 less than the valuation in January.
Told them no. I will leave it for sale if necessary but talk about taking the pxxx. I am not unreasonable and have expected to knock some more off but I am really annoyed by the cheek of this couple.
I wish I knew who had told them my cicumstances but sometimes this is such a small town
B******S!:curse:
That is so nasty, dont worry once you come here you will find most people are not that nasty.

Where in Alberta are you heading?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping_Beauty45
This is s good point.

Jingsamichty is right too and makes a very persuasive and rational argument. It is flawed, however, because very few buying decisions are made by the rational mind. We all know that $4.99 is really $5 because we can't even be bothered to pick up the penny change, but marketers and behavioral scientists can give you lots of evidence that something priced at $4.99 will sell a lot more than the same thing priced at $5.00. Somewhere in our subconscious we see a 4 and think it is a good price. If we see a 5 we think it is too expensive.

The same lack of rationality applies when we are buying a house. All those programs about staging a home are right. If we walk into a house for sale and the furniture is a bit tatty, the walls are faded and there is a slight smell of cat pee we immediately think it is overpriced. If it has been staged by a designer, with brand new rented furniture artfully arranged, new and subtle paint colours on the walls, and fresh bread baking in the oven we immediately think this is a place we can live in.

At a rational level we know the furniture does not belong to the house, and a couple of weekends work with a paint roller and carpet cleaner will get the first place up to the same standard as the second. At a subconscious level there are thousands, possibly tens of thousands, of dollars difference in the price we are prepared to pay - if we are prepared to pay anything at all for the first home.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:53 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pammy
That is so nasty, dont worry once you come here you will find most people are not that nasty.
B*****ks.

What's nasty about it?

They bid, you counter offer. If you don't meet in the middle somewhere agreeable, there's no deal.

No one gets hurt, unless you're so thin skinned as to be upset and surprised that someone wants to pay the least amount possible for what's likely to be the largest purchase of their life. Just get over it and find another buyer that's better suited to you.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

meland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant futuremeland123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LynseySmith
Hi Tina

We accepted a revised offer yesterday still over 30K below our original asking price ...booo . First offer really crappy. Said I'd rather rent it. A week and a half later they've raised it. Not a huge amount admittedly, but we've decided to cut and run with that.

Still it lets us get on with our lives, and buy the type of place we want in Canada, rather than have to sort out renting and extra insurance and change of mortgage fee (of £1,000) .. etc....etc..
Also, the stress of trying to keep the place tidy with a 7 yr old and a 2 yr old has been driving me nuts!!!!

We thought we would have to release some money and buy a smaller place over there whilst keeping hold of this house - but there's also capital gains to think of..and we worked out we'd have to pay a few more grand out selling later anyway.

Finger crossed it all goes through now

You do really have to do whatever feels comfortable for you. I appreciate it's a difficult call to make.

Lynsey
Hi Lynsey,well done on your house offer,and I hope it proceeds well for you! Just noticed that you are in Cheshire,so are we and hopefully heading for London Ontario(that is as soon as we get an offer..... 2 months and still waiting!!!)
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pammy

Where in Alberta are you heading?
Around Red Deer area - ish.
Husbands job is in Olds
Really depends where I manage to get one. Then we shall probably try and live somewhere in the middle
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

These buyers "found out" that we are emigrating and my husband has already gone.
Made an offer of £50,000 less than asking price. I have already reduced it by £20,000 so that makes it £70,000 less than the valuation in January.
Told them no. I will leave it for sale if necessary but talk about taking the pxxx. I am not unreasonable and have expected to knock some more off but I am really annoyed by the cheek of this couple.
I wish I knew who had told them my cicumstances but sometimes this is such a small town
Would you not have tried to do the same
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:35 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

This thread just goes to prove thats its emotions, and not logic, that rules the buying and selling of houses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.