Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ridiculous offer on house

Ridiculous offer on house

Old Mar 12th 2009, 3:06 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ridiculous offer on house

Originally Posted by Morwenna
When this happened to me .... and I know my estate agent told people that I was desperate to leave because my OH and boys (and furniture) were already out here without me :curse::curse::curse:..... anyway (stops grinding teeth) ... I told them I was going to pull the house off the market for a while and then resubmit it for sale with some agents who actually knew what the **** they were doing!

Amazingly enough they realised that another couple was interested in the house .... and these people ended up being ready to move in immediately and offered me the full asking price (albeit quite a few k below the original price).

Don't get me started on UK estate agents .......
um. yeah.

if an estate agent is going to make 2% off you, he will make 4000 off a 200K house or 3000 off a 150K house.

so he can make 4000 by working hard, negotiating with lots of buyers, showing them round, cajoling, harassing and driving himself mad OR he can make 3000 by sitting on his arris and punting out your pad for a tempting 25% off.

4000 for a weeks work or 3000 for a days work?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Would you not have tried to do the same
Not by that much no, definitely not but maybe me and my husband have been fools before and tried to be decent about it.
Maybe this is an eye opener and we should try the same when we are buying next.
I do believe that we could probably lose houses that we want though.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

LynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by meland123
Hi Lynsey,well done on your house offer,and I hope it proceeds well for you! Just noticed that you are in Cheshire,so are we and hopefully heading for London Ontario(that is as soon as we get an offer..... 2 months and still waiting!!!)
Hi,

Good luck with your house sale too! It has taken us just on a year to get to this stage though! People are starting to look again now
We are at Cheshire Oaks, E Port, nr aquarium. Lots of job uncertainty around here at the mo' what with Vauxhalls and Finacial sector slow-down. Had to take quite a drop, but we figured it would still free us up to get the type of place we want in Waterloo.

Things are moving on all fronts for us now. OH has job offer in place and lawyer just confirmed no LMO needed for the job and that he could get his WP at POE when we go for our home-finding trip at Easter

Literally, we were really low last week, with no progress on anything....then last Friday evening it all started

Send me a PM and let me know how things progress for you. Have you got PR already? London won't be far away from us. Why have you decided on there? Friends, family??

Best wishes

Lynsey
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

DESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really nice

Originally Posted by albertabound
Not by that much no, definitely not but maybe me and my husband have been fools before and tried to be decent about it.
Maybe this is an eye opener and we should try the same when we are buying next.
I do believe that we could probably lose houses that we want though.
I hope you'll get your house sorted soon. We are very thankful that we didn't suffer too much stress as we sold our house in less than 72 hours.
Good luck.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-bankrupt.html

The above link gives another take on why people are putting in offers that appear really low......but are they?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 3:09 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wbexpat
I'm sure that's just what it's like. All done and dusted in a day and no overheads. Why aren't we all realtors?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

mclaren family is an unknown quantity at this point

All I can say is thank god I'm in Scotland and not England and thinking of putting the house on the market relatively shortly, always did think English house prices were rising far to quickly
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:11 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wbexpat
um. yeah.

if an estate agent is going to make 2% off you, he will make 4000 off a 200K house or 3000 off a 150K house.

so he can make 4000 by working hard, negotiating with lots of buyers, showing them round, cajoling, harassing and driving himself mad OR he can make 3000 by sitting on his arris and punting out your pad for a tempting 25% off.

Firstly I am not a R/E agent, never have been and never will be.

Your post is bollocks. R/E agents are not top of my favourite people list but you obviously know absolutely nothing of how the system in Canada works. I too believe they are overpaid but many, perhaps most, work their arrises (sic) off to make sales. If they are any good they will be working late into evenings and weekends while you're sitting on your arris (sic) drinking beer and watching the telly.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:29 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Firstly I am not a R/E agent, never have been and never will be.

Your post is bollocks. R/E agents are not top of my favourite people list but you obviously know absolutely nothing of how the system in Canada works. I too believe they are overpaid but many, perhaps most, work their arrises (sic) off to make sales. If they are any good they will be working late into evenings and weekends while you're sitting on your arris (sic) drinking beer and watching the telly.
Agreed.

Canadian realtors are miles better than their counterparts in England, that being said, something I do get frustrated with is the percentage charging system.

My house value is around $120,000 and should i sell i have been told anywhere from 4-7% is the norm. So that leaves us with $4800-8400 selling fee...I was also told that there is an additional fee if you want it put on MLS.

My house is on the lower spectrum of the Winnipeg housing market and i would hazard a guess that the average house is much closer to $200,000 (maybe MB-Realtor will be along and correct me if I am wrong)

But a $200,000 house at 4-7% would mean realtor fees of...$8000-14000.

What justification is there that my house costs 'less' to sell than the average house?

Surely the nicer the property the easier it is to sell and therefore the 'less' time and money goes into selling the average house...
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:41 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
Agreed.

Canadian realtors are miles better than their counterparts in England, that being said, something I do get frustrated with is the percentage charging system.

My house value is around $120,000 and should i sell i have been told anywhere from 4-7% is the norm. So that leaves us with $4800-8400 selling fee...I was also told that there is an additional fee if you want it put on MLS.

My house is on the lower spectrum of the Winnipeg housing market and i would hazard a guess that the average house is much closer to $200,000 (maybe MB-Realtor will be along and correct me if I am wrong)

But a $200,000 house at 4-7% would mean realtor fees of...$8000-14000.

What justification is there that my house costs 'less' to sell than the average house?

Surely the nicer the property the easier it is to sell and therefore the 'less' time and money goes into selling the average house...

I don't think 'nicer' necessarily means an easier sell. If you're suggesting there's a correlation between nicer and pricier, there's a price point at which there's a more limited market, so finding a buyer is harder. I shudder to think what my realtor's overhead has been for the 12mths he's been representing my property. The longer the sales process takes, the more deserving he'll be of a gradually diminishing return.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I don't think 'nicer' necessarily means an easier sell. If you're suggesting there's a correlation between nicer and pricier, there's a price point at which there's a more limited market, so finding a buyer is harder. I shudder to think what my realtor's overhead has been for the 12mths he's been representing my property. The longer the sales process takes, the more deserving he'll be of a gradually diminishing return.

fabby place rich !!!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

onlycanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that really your house ...or a wind up? Or is that how you got your name!!!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:16 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Originally Posted by R I C H
If only we had the money, your house is beautiful!

Good luck with selling it.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:24 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by onlycanada
Is that really your house ...or a wind up? Or is that how you got your name!!!
I purchased the property in '05 with GBP250k equity that we emigrated with. It consisted of 32 acres of waist high weeds, a 30yr old trailer, junk everywhere (we removed 60+ dump truck loads of rubbish in the first month), and an income from boarding horses of $1,500 p/mth.

We've re-furbished the facilities, developed a rental house, and built an additional house for ourselves just over 12mths ago, funded by the business growth and help from RBC. It's meant a lot of sacrifices, no holidays since we arrived and working 7 days a week, but hopefully we'll see the benefit from the effort sometime soon.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:25 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by chumley
fabby place rich !!!
Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.