Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Review of Toronto so far

Review of Toronto so far

Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Platinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to all
Default Re: Review of Toronto so far

Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Been here about a month now so I thought I'd do a quick snap review on my judgements so far.

Tons of brown people
Toronto is a very multi cultural city. If the prospect of lots of minorities bother you then you may want to rethink it. I live in China town and quite like it. I'm from London so same shit different bucket really but I imagine if you're from some outback place up north it may be a bit of a culture shock.

\
There's tons of stuff to do. It's a pretty cool city. At the weekend something i cool i alway going on. I got to see ****ed Up in Dundas square for free the other week which was pretty sweet. There's tons of people to party with in TO too. That's where the good points stop. After that it mostly looks the same, the people are shite. I met a girl I'm seeing from Barrie (which is also a bit of a shithole) and she' one crazy broad. I'll see how it goes. Shes amazingly good looking (hence the putting up with crazy). I'm pretty much just here to shag everything though.

Torontonians are arseholes

That's a fair generaliation yet so far I've met more canadians I liked travelling in Asia than I have in Toronto. You have to remember there isn't an arsehole drain. For instance you could live in one of the nice pockets around London with all the arseholes/attitudes going off to London central. In New Zealand you have a nice asshole drain with Washington so Auckland is pretty cool. I'm sure my view will change when I start work next week but so far it seems everyones got an attitude. It seems like a very New York attitude here though...despite not being New York.

Toronto is a bit scummy/dirty
It's quite a dirty city. This city has by far, more crazies than any place I've been. So far I've walked up University Avenue (between queen and dundas) and some black guy was jerking off right there on a bench not 30 feet from the entrance to an office skyscraper. I watched another guy fly kick a cyclist off his bike and when the cyclist got up bemused the fella yelled out "this isn't montreal bitch". Another time I saw a dude walking down Spadina then spazz out and start punching the **** out of a tree. Don't get me wrong theres crazies everywhere and I have a fair few stories of crazies in London but I've been here 20 days and seen that already.

Canada really is same shit different bucket

(To me this is a non issue as I expected it but can imagine what some people back home dream it to be)
Everyones got the same issues here. Everyone my age (early 20s) are all dealing with exactly the same shit back home so if you move here hoping your teenager won't self harm/get into drug/be a whore or shag loads of girls then you'll be sorely mistaken as all that shit goes on here except pot is WAY more acceptable over here. It's more common to be a total life style thing and people back home that wouldn't smoke pot do at parties over here. To the point you can be at a gig smoking a joint and no one bats an eyelid whereas if you're drinking (but aren't allowed to in that area) you can be sure bouncers will pick up on it.

London V Toronto
You'd have to be a mug to pick Toronto over London. London beats it in terms of the people are far better, far nicer parks, more culture, more things to do. However
at the moment Torognto is better for me. I picked up a 60k job here by pure luck (was on 25 at home) meaning in a years time I can return home (or go to Oz, or work in America) and net a 35-40k job doing the same thing. I need that years experience before I can **** the company off though. Also my rent is 500$ here so I'm goin to be able to save a ton.
I find myself wishing people would walk faster so I'm having to adjust to a slower pace of life.

Job hunting sucks
Job hunting here sucks the fat one. I got lucky but work in a fast paced industry and had been applying for jobs 3 month prior to arriving and when I did arrive I applied to over 400 jobs (professional work not casual). A friend of mine who been at a coffee shop for 6 months tell me she didn't hear back from the one job she applied for. I shook my head. 400 applications and I had 5 interview....
It sucks balls here I wonder what it's like in Vancouver where there aren't very many industries.

It's ok so far
It's cool for me cos I'm just doing bunac so it literally cost me £200 for one way flight and 150 or so my visa. No way would I pay more than that to move to Canada. And the weather has been fantatic since I arrived. If the weather was snowing every day for 4 months I'm unsure how I'll react. Probably just save cash up with plan to get the **** out of this city when the weather gets nicer. Whether that's another city in Canada or back to a european country or Oz, or NZ I'm not sure yet. Hope this review gives any romantics some perspective.

All I can think of to some up Toronto so far. Don't get me wrong I'm having an amazing time and met some proper fun people but in reviews you tend to hear more of the negatives (as the positives get taken as a given I guess)
You have a BIG chip on your shoulder GEEZER... Not to mention a BIG attitude PROBLEM. I would advise you LEAVE Canada / TORONTO ASAP since you have nothing to offer it, but S**T.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
Wow, it must have got a lot worse than when I was there Auld Yin because I reckon I saw maybe two bar fights in the whole time I was there (between 1994 and 2001 and was out drinking every weekend).

I think they were likely two of mine. I'm sorry you saw my poor performance at the old Mickey Finn's, I really should have done better than to allow the bouncer to pound my head into the pavement. I fear he was enraged by my mate shouting "you wimp, is that all you got?" after he seemed to be down for the count.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sephiroth
I'm just tugging your chain fella. Bit of a mischevious chap me and couldn't reist trolling ya

Yeah I'll stick to the rules from now
What a caricature you are. "Just here to shag everyone" etc. I wonder who the real Sephiroth is but I'll bet my mortgage on the fact that it isn't the Tony Soprano-esque person presented in this thread.

I live in Toronto and I really like this city. Your expereince is your reality, of course, but I would say that Torontonians are not arseholes and for a city of its size it's not scummy / dirty at all. My trip to London UK this week confirmed that.

Have fun here on BE ...
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:38 pm
Banned

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point

@Platinum979, I like to think i have quite a varied assortment of jokes to offer also.

@Julius Smith - That's a fine sense of proportion you have there. Hope you're mood improved.

@London Mike -
I quite like this city as well. I do admit it's really dirty though. Londons pretty filthy as well.
Edit: Also I like to think I base my personality more on such london inspirations as Tempa T rather than Tony Soprano(lol wut?)
Video for reference

@MarylandNed
Interesting. I tend to think of Toronto as dirtier though I feel safer in Toronto than London. People generally dress classier in London. Bit of a jeans & tee fest over here.

Last edited by Sephiroth; Jun 25th 2011 at 4:54 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Essay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to all

Well, look at that. BE has an "ignore" feature that works like a charm. Lovely! Thanks, BE!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Platinum979
You have a BIG chip on your shoulder GEEZER... Not to mention a BIG attitude PROBLEM. I would advise you LEAVE Canada / TORONTO ASAP since you have nothing to offer it, but S**T.
Nah, he's alright. He's just one of those newbies who likes to think they are stirring things up a bit with a "controversial" early post. You see that a lot on the internet, but it's a good thing really.

Seph, welcome to BE
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:20 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Nah, he's alright. He's just one of those newbies who likes to think they are stirring things up a bit with a "controversial" early post. You see that a lot on the internet, but it's a good thing really.

Seph, welcome to BE
I'm with Alan, BE needs more arseholes.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:24 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Seph, welcome to BE
What he said!

If anything changes people it's travel. And this young man should be credited for taking the leap.

Once he's been through an Ontario Winter, bounced over to Australia etc.....he will have seen the matrix.

I agree with his fashion comment about Toronto. People don't get as done up as in London although I quite like this. You really notice the jump in clothing again if you go west.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:27 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
What a caricature you are. "Just here to shag everyone" etc. I wonder who the real Sephiroth is but I'll bet my mortgage on the fact that it isn't the Tony Soprano-esque person presented in this thread.

I live in Toronto and I really like this city. Your expereince is your reality, of course, but I would say that Torontonians are not arseholes and for a city of its size it's not scummy / dirty at all. My trip to London UK this week confirmed that.

Have fun here on BE ...
Welcome home. The words "Danforth" and "Curry" have been on the brain the last week or so......we need a game plan!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:41 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Welcome home. The words "Danforth" and "Curry" have been on the brain the last week or so......we need a game plan!

PM?
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

dont know about that, alan.

if he's alright, then i'll eat my hat....

from his first posts, he's raised enough shackles on here already....maybe he's a psycho or something....nice guy one minute, evil bas..trd the other....

oh, well...it takes all sorts...

Seph, welcome to BE
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:20 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julius smith
dont know about that, alan.

if he's alright, then i'll eat my hat....

from his first posts, he's raised enough shackles on here already....maybe he's a psycho or something....nice guy one minute, evil bas..trd the other....

oh, well...it takes all sorts...
You don't have any irony radar do you ?
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Platinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tangram
Sephiroth = arsehole.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 9:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Er, avoid the Danforth? Greeks are not great at curry. Try Coxwell and Gerrard instead, Barbecue Hut for north Indian, Madras Durbar for south.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.