Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK

Returning to the UK

Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Returning to the UK

In many ways I can't believe that I am writing this.

After a 7 year intense struggle to get to Canada, career change, you name it.... my husband and I plan to return to the UK during the latter part of this year.

He has had a miserable time - stuck at home. Canada Immigration messed up his PR application which delayed things by 4 months. My sponsoring him was finally approved in January and he will have to wait another 6 - 9 months until his PR comes through.

Although I landed a v well paid contracting position with an oil company, we have weighed up the pros and cons of living here in Alberta. My husband had no reason to want to leave the UK, I applied through the Skilled Worker visa route 6 years ago. We moved over to Calgary last May. I got work very quickly.

We got married a couple of years ago and we met quite a few years after I had applied for the Skilled Worker visa.

He has had very little pleasure from living here, he is not into sports and has struggled with not being allowed to work. The main issues we flagged from our experience living in Calgary have been:-

1) Very isolated - no where to visit over a weekend. Obviously the driving distances have to be considered especially in winter. Expensive hopping on planes to visit other cities in Canada (which we haven't done yet). Not a great deal to do other than eating out, going to the cinema, shopping.

2) Most Canadians our age (late 30s) are settled down, have children, and have their established group of friends. Not easy to integrate into a social circle at this stage of our lives.

3) House prices - extremely high. About the same as the SE of the UK. Houses are not amazing, new build developments are built very close together, not very attractive to look at.

4) Can't just go for a walk across the fields like you can in the UK. You have to walk along designated trails in NPs. Also got to be careful in the spring/summer time as there are large predators. Have to have your wits around you.

5) Generally, the cost of Internet, TV, phone etc are very expensive compared to the UK. There is no competition amongst the few Telecoms companies. All of this type of thing is expensive. Food is also expensive, prices are inflated due to the oil town economy.

On balance, and we have thought very carefully about this, we prefer life in the UK.

We have had some serious challenges throughout our time here and we are desparate to put our roots down, buy a property.

My husband has had a really tough time and wants his life/career back.

My biggest tip would be, living in a new country is nothing like being a tourist. Think very carefully before you make a major move.

I will always love Canada, but it nearly killed me trying to get here.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:29 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK

I definately agree with points one and two.

Good luck on your return to the UK.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes on your return
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AllyS

After a 7 year intense struggle to get to Canada, career change, you name it.... my husband and I plan to return to the UK during the latter part of this year.

He has had a miserable time - stuck at home. Canada Immigration messed up his PR application which delayed things by 4 months. My sponsoring him was finally approved in January and he will have to wait another 6 - 9 months until his PR comes through.

Although I landed a v well paid contracting position with an oil company, we have weighed up the pros and cons of living here in Alberta. My husband had no reason to want to leave the UK, I applied through the Skilled Worker visa route 6 years ago. We moved over to Calgary last May. I got work very quickly.

We got married a couple of years ago and we met quite a few years after I had applied for the Skilled Worker visa.

He has had very little pleasure from living here, he is not into sports and has struggled with not being allowed to work. The main issues we flagged from our experience living in Calgary have been:-

1) Very isolated - no where to visit over a weekend. Obviously the driving distances have to be considered especially in winter. Expensive hopping on planes to visit other cities in Canada (which we haven't done yet). Not a great deal to do other than eating out, going to the cinema, shopping.

2) Most Canadians our age (late 30s) are settled down, have children, and have their established group of friends. Not easy to integrate into a social circle at this stage of our lives.

3) House prices - extremely high. About the same as the SE of the UK. Houses are not amazing, new build developments are built very close together, not very attractive to look at.

4) Can't just go for a walk across the fields like you can in the UK. You have to walk along designated trails in NPs. Also got to be careful in the spring/summer time as there are large predators. Have to have your wits around you.

5) Generally, the cost of Internet, TV, phone etc are very expensive compared to the UK. There is no competition amongst the few Telecoms companies. All of this type of thing is expensive. Food is also expensive, prices are inflated due to the oil town economy.

On balance, and we have thought very carefully about this, we prefer life in the UK.

We have had some serious challenges throughout our time here and we are desparate to put our roots down, buy a property.

My biggest tip would be, living in a new country is nothing like being a tourist. Think very carefully before you make a major move.

Oh no ... I hope you manage to find your 'happy place'. A bit worrying for me considering we're thinking of moving to Calgary next year though
Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Oh no ... I hope you manage to find your 'happy place'. A bit worrying for me considering we're thinking of moving to Calgary next year though
Don't worry - there are a lot of good points about Calgary too! Obviously the OP has had a bad experience so is focusing more on the bad points.

I agree that house prices are quite high, but not sure they're quite as high as the SE of England. You get a lot more space for your money in Calgary.

In terms of walking areas - Calgary has a lot of parks, walking paths and biking trails. Contrary to what the OP says, large predators really aren't a problem and there are no large predators in the city! I grew up with Fish Creek park on my doorstep and only saw the odd coyote. There are, however, bears & cougars in the mountains, but they are afraid of people and generally stay away. We went camping, hiking & skiing all the time in the mountains... no probs.

I also agree with the OP that it's very isolated and you have to fly or drive forever to visit other cities, so it's not the best place for a city-slicker! If you love the outdoors and love sports, it's a great place to live... the mountains nearby offer a wealth of beauty and places to explore.

To the OP - I'm sorry things haven't worked out for you and wish you all the best on your return to the UK!

Last edited by Cowgirl; Feb 25th 2011 at 8:33 am.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:43 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowgirl
the OP has had a bad experience so is focusing more on the bad points.
Thats what happens when your pee'd off with a place. We did a pros and cons when we left Canada. If i did them again they would undoubtedly be more pro Canada this time.

Good luck to OP... hope you find what you're looking for.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

FraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant future

I wonder how different things would have been for you had your husband been able to work straight away? I know it probably wouldn't change the fact that other cities are very far away, but perhaps things would have seemed better.

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. Best of luck with your move back.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:30 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

We're leaving Calgary tomorrow after about 3.5 years here.

On the whole, we've really enjoyed our time in Calgary, but we always knew it was not a permanent move for us. We made the most of it, enjoyed the proximity to the mountains etc. I'm glad we came, and I'm glad we're going.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of light

Hey AllyS,

I know how hard it is to swallow that pill that maybe your new life in Canada has not met yours and/or your husbands expectations - and that you are not happy. Especially as you obviously made sacrifices to get here and put in a lot of effort to gain your right to live here. I hear you, I truly do and my husband and I hope to be back in the UK for September time: took 3 years to gain PR status, many trials and tribulations, 3 years living here and now the trials and tribulations of moving back!! You just have to try and take the good from what you have experienced Canada is a beautiful country with lots to offer and your referral to being a tourist made me chuckle as for me it really struck home. I will always love Canada and no doubt will wish to return once I am back in the UK - but as a tourist, living here just isnt for me!

As for your reasons for considering moving back, I also understand - but I am sure the experience has given you and your husband a refreshed look on the UK and you will no doubt fully appreciate your homeland! Good luck with everything!

Just seen the last post - "I'm glad we came, I'm glad were going" - sums it up for me too!!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyS

Agree with your points 1 & 2. Point 3 I'd say houses can be expensive in nice areas like anywhere but there are cheaper houses to be had if you're prepared to live in some of the newer areas so overall I'd consider the house prices moderate. I would say most of whats been built in the last 15 years on the fringes of the city is pretty aweful - they can look quite good on paper with reasonable sq footage & granite worktops etc but they are so close together with zero gardens and no facilities within walking distance. Point 4 - don't think predators are a problem in the city - coyote and lynx are the worst I've come across. In the mountains though you never know. Stongly agree with point 5 - I'd add that for those with children activities are very expensive. On paper my salary here is significantly higher here than the UK but it doesn't seem to go as far. Cost of dentristry is astronomical

We've been here two years now and I'd say things are very much in the balance on whether we would wish to stay longer. Thats not to say I dislike Calgary - I do quite like it overall but when compared to what would be available to us where we were in England its difficult to make the case overall that its better. If work here was booming then that would possibly tip the balance in favour of Calgary but thats not the case now and I doubt it will be for the foreseeable future.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

I'd bet that after a year or two back in the toilet called the UK you'll regretting returning, I spent most of my Adult life trying to leave the UK despite being raised in an affluent part of Cheshire and having the great city of Manchester on my door step. Now i'm away from the rat race and moral decline I can't see myself returning. I have yet to have a moment when I have missed the UK, but I'm only 4 months into my PR. Either way so far the quality of life is better for me over here.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 2:02 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't blame you, living in Calgary sounds horrid. Its not too ban here in BC but if it wasn't for the sailing, skiing, fishing, surfing, nice schools, great sushi, good Chinese food, summer weather, Gulf Islands, Sunshine Coast and being a fairly close plane ride to Hawaii I'd be going tomorrow back also.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

Kirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant future

Im sorry it did not work for you but number 1 and 4 puzzles me i live in oktoks and we drive out to banff. Canmore bragg creek, elbow falls and even waterton for a day just to get out and explore. I do abit of hiking with a friend and never seen a bear or anything that would trouble us you just have to get a trail map bear spray and go. Ive thought about going home but there is alot to do here in the summer most weekends im out or out with the wife and kid.

Last edited by Kirsty John and Dominic; Feb 26th 2011 at 3:26 am.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only 7 months in but don't miss the UK either. We go out every weekend, walking, sightseeing, visiting attractions and don't let the cold temps keep us in. The sun shines most days (not grey and dreary like the UK), next to no rain for much of the year and the snow is dry. Yes, it's very, very cold some days but at least you don't get drenched and blown all over when you step outside.

The mountains are beautiful, there are some spectacular walks and a trip to the hot springs at -25 is delightful.

I hope your return to the UK is all you desire and wish you all the luck in the world. Me, I'm sticking it out a little longer, even though hubby hasn't got a decent job (part time $1400 a month), I let lucky, so we'll scrape by for now.

Poppit
Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

I just want to wish you luck with your move back to the UK. Sorry to hear things haven't worked out for you, and I am sure your husband not being able to work has been a huge contributing factor.
Just wondering but if you haven't even been in Calgary a full year yet, is there any way you could try and see if things turn for the better?
It must also be hard if your husband was not really for the move to Canada.

We decided when we moved over five years ago, that we had to give it two years before making any big decisions. Thankfully after a few months here we were settled and it was the best move we could ever make. The home we own here (built in the mid 70's in an older neighbourhood with a huge back yard and garage) is way bigger than what we owned in the SE of England, which was a 3 bed mid terrace, although it cost the same as what we paid over here.
Good luck and best wishes for your move back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.