Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Returning I-94A Us departure record

Wikiposts

Returning I-94A Us departure record

Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Returning I-94A Us departure record

I'm sure this question has been asked before but can't seem to find it anywhere.
We travelled to US in June for 4 days, crossing via a land border.
We still have the I-94A Visa waiver departure records in our passports - I only just noticed that the Canadian Border did not stamp our passports on entry back into Canada either.

Hubby is convinced we can just hold on to the waiver forms in case we decide to visit again before the 3 months have, but it occurs to me that if we haven't returned it we have no record that we re-entered Canada/left the USA.

Further down the line if we need to show residency for citizenship or to retain PR could this become a problem?
Not sure why they don't just have a system where you can hand it back at the crossing rather than having to send it off etc.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning I-94A Us departure record

You can keep them if you intend to return within the validity period. On every land crossing I have used, the CBSA person on the way back has asked if we wanted them removed.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not hand them back at the border now ?
Use to be able to, I've done it many times.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Was told we needed to mail them back. Certainly no-one offered to take it out of the passport.
Surprised we didn't get our passport stamped on re-entry - assume that means we have to keep a separate record somehow of the dates for future reference.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
I'm sure this question has been asked before but can't seem to find it anywhere.
We travelled to US in June for 4 days, crossing via a land border.
We still have the I-94A Visa waiver departure records in our passports - I only just noticed that the Canadian Border did not stamp our passports on entry back into Canada either.

Hubby is convinced we can just hold on to the waiver forms in case we decide to visit again before the 3 months have, but it occurs to me that if we haven't returned it we have no record that we re-entered Canada/left the USA.

Further down the line if we need to show residency for citizenship or to retain PR could this become a problem?
Not sure why they don't just have a system where you can hand it back at the crossing rather than having to send it off etc.
We kept hold of ours and then sent them back...late... so we had to send copies of our payslips to prove we had left the country within the 3 month allocated timescale...
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill
We kept hold of ours and then sent them back...late... so we had to send copies of our payslips to prove we had left the country within the 3 month allocated timescale...
So are they not able to check with the CBSA records to confirm you re-entered then? I assume they are keeping records..
Old Aug 12th 2014, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

So are they not able to check with the CBSA records to confirm you re-entered then? I assume they are keeping records..
No idea. We just did what it says on their website...
Old Aug 12th 2014, 6:57 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

I've never had a CBSA officer ask to take it, I am the one who insists on giving it to them.

OP you can check your record online, if it's been logged that you crossed back in to Canada then I wouldn't worry. Just take it out of your passport if it expires.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html
Old Aug 12th 2014, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jennellapea
I've never had a CBSA officer ask to take it, I am the one who insists on giving it to them.

OP you can check your record online, if it's been logged that you crossed back in to Canada then I wouldn't worry. Just take it out of your passport if it expires.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html
Thanks, that's a nifty tool! All good.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 5:19 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, that's a nifty tool! All good.
No worries. Same thing happened to me.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:23 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

This is recent information.
We didn't hand ours back to the Canadian Border guard on our last trip within the 3 months. US Border Security were very shirty about it when we went over the next time because it was still in our passports.

We had to explain where we had been and why we hadn't given it back.
Apparently, if you do not give it in to the Canada border guard when you cross back for the last time within the dated 3 months, they assume you never left the US.

We were just honest and said we didn't realise. They pointed out it tells you on the card, but it is in tiny letters on the back and the card is stapled in so tight twice that the back cannot be read without tearing the passport page, which is an offence.

Anyway, they were fine about it, but I wouldn't do it again.
I do wonder what the Canadian border guards do with the I 94 when you give it to them, though.
Does it get filed under 'bin'?
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:27 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Whether they do keep records or not, they still give you a hard time about it, in our experience.

It is foolish, because how could you be re-entering the US from the Canada side if you had been in the US the whole time and did not go back?
They very fact that you are entering from Canada proves you went back!

It doesn't prove when, of course, but that would be easy to prove by other means.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
This is recent information.
We didn't hand ours back to the Canadian Border guard on our last trip within the 3 months. US Border Security were very shirty about it when we went over the next time because it was still in our passports.

We had to explain where we had been and why we hadn't given it back.
Apparently, if you do not give it in to the Canada border guard when you cross back for the last time within the dated 3 months, they assume you never left the US.

We were just honest and said we didn't realise. They pointed out it tells you on the card, but it is in tiny letters on the back and the card is stapled in so tight twice that the back cannot be read without tearing the passport page, which is an offence.

Anyway, they were fine about it, but I wouldn't do it again.
I do wonder what the Canadian border guards do with the I 94 when you give it to them, though.
Does it get filed under 'bin'?
We give it back to USCBP. Believe it or not the Kentucky address employs people to enter the data for those who return the I94. If not going to be using it again within the 90 days then hand it over to CBSA.
Do not leave expired ones in your passport as some of those USCBP officers get shirty if they find them and COULD refuse you admission.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

If you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States to:

DHS - CBP SBU
1084 South Laurel Road
London, KY 40744
USA
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...l-have-my-i-94

I've always included a credit card bill showing Canadian transactions after the date I exited the US. It's always been accepted... judging by my online I-94W record.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Return the I-94! Someone on here recently reported being denied an ESTA (and therefore couldn't fly into the US) because he hadn't handed in the I-94 when he left the US on a previous trip. He was eventually flagged as an overstay. He then attempted a land crossing from Canada into the US but was delayed for 4 hours by US immigration while he sorted it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.