Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Returning to Canada

Wikiposts

Returning to Canada

Old Dec 21st 2010, 9:59 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Returning to Canada

Did anyone have any aggro with the Canadian tax office when they returned to Canada from UK? We left in '04 and didnt say anything to them about leaving. We're thinking about returning but owe our last tax return. My wife was unemployed, she was teaching English to foreign students before then, i had the same job for 6 years.

Tks in advance.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:19 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to Canada

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Did anyone have any aggro with the Canadian tax office when they returned to Canada from UK? We left in '04 and didnt say anything to them about leaving. We're thinking about returning but owe our last tax return. My wife was unemployed, she was teaching English to foreign students before then, i had the same job for 6 years.

Tks in advance.
Yes I did

I came over in 94/95 and worked at a minimum wage job that took somehow screwed up my taxes. I filed a tax claim when I left Canada in 1995 and was given a cheque for $1,700.

Fast forward 12 years and I moved back to Canada, filed another tax return in 2008 and my SIN was flagged as owing taxes. This cannot be I thought, I haven't worked in Canada since the nineties.
Revenue Canada did not forget and took back what I owed plus interest. My advice is to get your Wife another SIN because as soon as her SIN shows up in the system, they will be on to you.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Tks in advance.
How about getting in contact with Revenue Canada and finding out how much you owe and paying it??!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgroe
How about getting in contact with Revenue Canada and finding out how much you owe and paying it??!
Yeah, if you owe the tax and you want to live there, just pay...
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 5:03 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Danny B
Yes I did

I came over in 94/95 and worked at a minimum wage job that took somehow screwed up my taxes. I filed a tax claim when I left Canada in 1995 and was given a cheque for $1,700.

Fast forward 12 years and I moved back to Canada, filed another tax return in 2008 and my SIN was flagged as owing taxes. This cannot be I thought, I haven't worked in Canada since the nineties.
Revenue Canada did not forget and took back what I owed plus interest. My advice is to get your Wife another SIN because as soon as her SIN shows up in the system, they will be on to you.
Only one SIN to a customer.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 5:59 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Tks in advance.
If you don't pay, it means I have to...
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
If you don't pay, it means I have to...

That sounds good - would you mind grabbing mine as well ?
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:31 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Yeah, if you owe the tax and you want to live there, just pay...
Yea thanks for that Officer Obvious.

I add - i didnt leave thinking, oooh i'll sneak off it without paying it was mid season and we decided to go pretty quickly not thinking about it. We were both PAYE so we paid tax all year anyway.