Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Retrofitting a DVD player

Retrofitting a DVD player

Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:57 am
Glaswegian

Default Retrofitting a DVD player

Anybody retrofitted a DVD player to a van?

Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Retrofitting a DVD player

Yup. Westcoast Custom Automotive. aka

Pimp my Ride on MTV2
Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

dbennett9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Anybody retrofitted a DVD player to a van?
How do you want to do it?

I have fitted a Pioneer A/V system, but that had a seperate DVD drive and a flip out screen from the Head Unit.

If you want a couple of headrest monitors and just DVD then it is relatively straightforward to do.

Depends on how much you want to spend really,

Dan Bennett
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:29 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by dbennett9
How do you want to do it?
Basically I just want a way to keep my little buggers amused while we're travelling ... I woulkd also ideally like the screen out of reach of sticky little fingers.

I've made one phone call so far and the guy tried to sell me $1700 worth of system ... sounds steep to me.

I'll shop around until I'm a sad subject matter expert in the area of in-car entertainment.

I used to know a guy who wouldn't buy around in the pub, but shelled out thousands on audio gear ... I've been here over 3 years and I haven't even got around to buying a CD player yet

Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

dbennett9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically I just want a way to keep my little buggers amused while we're travelling ... I woulkd also ideally like the screen out of reach of sticky little fingers.

I've made one phone call so far and the guy tried to sell me $1700 worth of system ... sounds steep to me.

I'll shop around until I'm a sad subject matter expert in the area of in-car entertainment.

I used to know a guy who wouldn't buy around in the pub, but shelled out thousands on audio gear ... I've been here over 3 years and I haven't even got around to buying a CD player yet
I suppose you could go for a ceiling mounted flip down screen then, depends if you want to try and fit it yourself. Some are almost self contained units with audio through headphones, (so you wont have to listen to shrek 10 times)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/cla...t=9&catid=1203

Dan Bennett

Last edited by dbennett9; Feb 17th 2005 at 1:42 pm. Reason: Update
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:50 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by dbennett9
I suppose you could go for a ceiling mounted flip down screen then, depends if you want to try and fit it yourself. Some are almost self contained units with audio through headphones, (so you wont have to listen to shrek 10 times)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/cla...t=9&catid=1203

Dan Bennett
I might investigate fitting one myself ... but there's not real value in trashing the trim on an otherwise sound van to save a couple of bucks.

The $1700 one had either an 8 or 10 inch screen and two wireless headsets ... I'd like to be able to drive out to BC without being driven insane in the process.

I can image the "are we there yet?" scene from Shrek 2 would drive you nuts by the time you've listened to it a couple of dozen times.

Thanks ... I'll stop by Futureshop and check them out ... although there's no way in hell one of their "trained technicians" is getting anywhere near my van with a screwdriver.

Old Feb 17th 2005, 3:01 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically I just want a way to keep my little buggers amused while we're travelling
Dude,

Why not buy one of those inexpensive [cheap] little portable ones. Sure you can run them off a 12v car socket ? Would be easy enough letting them use it in the back of the car. Or maybe fix it proper chav/hillbilly stylee with grey [gray] duck tape to the back of the seat LOL.

Way cheaper, plus you could then also let the nippers use it round the house as well.

Rich.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:26 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Or maybe fix it proper chav/hillbilly stylee with grey [gray] duck tape to the back of the seat LOL.
Nope ... you allow them to wear their hockey helmets in the car and duct tape portable DVD players to the face cages ... that way you also get the flip-up effect.

I checked at Canadian Tire & Futureshop ... depending on the size of the screen, you can get a dash mounted player with a ceiling mounted screen fitted for under a $1,000.

Old Feb 18th 2005, 6:08 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I checked at Canadian Tire & Futureshop ... depending on the size of the screen, you can get a dash mounted player with a ceiling mounted screen fitted for under a $1,000.
Ok, am I the only one thinking, 'whatever happened to magnetic chess, license plate poker, puzzle books, etc...?' Going insane on road trips is all part of the fun!
Old Feb 18th 2005, 6:31 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Ok, am I the only one thinking, 'whatever happened to magnetic chess, license plate poker, puzzle books, etc...?' Going insane on road trips is all part of the fun!
Nope you're not.

How do you play license plate poker?
Old Feb 18th 2005, 6:32 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Golden travelling rule #1 = never give a kid a road map.

Can get ugly.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:12 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Iginla
How do you play license plate poker?
Well, first you gotta get a Texas Holdem table retrofitted into your van...

Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Well, first you gotta get a Texas Holdem table retrofitted into your van...

Old Feb 18th 2005, 1:43 pm
Glaswegian

The problem is that you're not allowed to drink beer while you're driving nowadays ...