Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Vancouver island

Retiring to Vancouver island

Old Mar 10th 2014, 11:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Vancouver island

Originally Posted by Dulciusexasperis
Mr Micawber's advice or 'the Micawber Principle' is as true today as it was when Dickens penned it in two sentences Novocastrian.

Unfortunately, for a lot of Brits who retired outside the UK, that principle came back to bite them in the butt. Simply an observation. If you felt I was trying to give you advice Novocastrian, that wasn't my intent. Everyone is free to do it their own way if they can.

Funnily enough, I've had a lot of people ask me how I managed to retire at 43 and my advice has indeed been basically what Mr. Micawbar advised. The way I put it is, 'spend less than you earn and invest the difference wisely.' I've now been retired for over 25 years and can say our net worth is more than it was when I retired.
I'm not in the least interested in how you managed to retire at 43. I would be curious as to why. Smacks of sloth and lack of ambition to me.

Also, I don't like condescension.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 1:18 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, communication is such a difficult thing. I had no intention of suggesting any kind of condescension Novocastrian. But it is easy to read something in when all we have is the written words.

You can't hear tone or see body language and can only rely on the written words. No condescension intended I assure you.

As for sloth and lack of ambition, I'll put those down to your perception of what I was saying. My ambition was to retire and I achieved that through working smarter than average at a far earlier age than most can.

The why of it was I had a 'eureka moment' where I decided that I did not want to work till age 65, retire and then drop dead on the golf course a couple of years later as so many do. So I put nose to grindstone, worked out a plan to financial independence and achieved it. Hardly sloth or lack of ambition.

Bet everyone loves you at a dinner party..
Old Mar 11th 2014, 1:19 am
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

Ah, communication is sometimes a difficult thing. All we have to go on is the written words. You can't hear tone of voice or see the body language which actually make up most of communication between people.

I intended no condescension whatsover Novocastrian. It is easy to 'read in' more in something than was intended. When you wrote you owned a house in France "(outright)", I could have taken that as bragging. Instead I took it as a simple statement of fact. Simply information with no other intent than to inform.

My saying I retired at 43 wasn't intended to make you 'interested in how I managed it' or imply anything other than a simple piece of information. As to the 'why' of it.

I had a 'Eureka moment' when I realized I did not want to work till age 65, then retire and drop dead on the golf course a few years later as so many do. I wanted to take a different path that's all.

So I came up with a plan to achieve financial independence, put nose to the grindstone and achieved it. Hardly sloth and lack of ambition.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 1:21 am
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

Oops, tried to do an edit and it showed it as all gone. So I started over.

TiryTory, English sarcasm and piss taking does not do well in Canada. If you want to say something then come right out and say it as Novocastrian has at least done.

Snide, cowardly inuendo is best left in the UK.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 1:32 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, tried to do an edit and it showed it as all gone. So I started over.

TiryTory, English sarcasm and piss taking does not do well in Canada. If you want to say something then come right out and say it as Novocastrian has at least done.

Snide, cowardly inuendo is best left in the UK.
Does it not? Deary me, here I was thinking this was an expat forum that existed in a virtual world with no real claim to any country really.. England, Canada, Wales, France etc etc

Edited to add......Ooh on that note don't call me English.. Although I'm sure you can probably pontificate on that subject too.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 1:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm not in the least interested in how you managed to retire at 43.
Lack of children?
Old Mar 11th 2014, 2:03 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I intended no condescension whatsover Novocastrian. It is easy to 'read in' more in something than was intended. When you wrote you owned a house in France "(outright)", I could have taken that as bragging. Instead I took it as a simple statement of fact. Simply information with no other intent than to inform.
My "outright" was meant to indicate that others can also manage to plan for retirement in an intelligent way.

I had a 'Eureka moment' when I realized I did not want to work till age 65, then retire and drop dead on the golf course a few years later as so many do. I wanted to take a different path that's all.

So I came up with a plan to achieve financial independence, put nose to the grindstone and achieved it. Hardly sloth and lack of ambition.
So, in fact, you didn't retire at 43, but simply became self-employed.

dbd33's remark about no children is perhaps interesting in this context.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 3:29 pm
Banned

What is with you guys. I have 2 sons, both in senior level positions on Bay Street.

I retired at 43. That means retired, not self-employed. It means having enough income from investments to allow me to live life as I wish to live it without having to work at all.

I'm not unique in that regard, some people retire even younger than I did.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

What is with you guys. .
+1 It sounds to me like you have done what you want, when you want and it took some self-discipline at an early age. Good for you. I don't sense any smugness in your previous responses.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

What is with you guys.
Don't worry about those two, just deeply unhappy grumpy old farts whose major mission in life is to attack anyone who says one positive thing about Canada.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martin the cdn expat
Don't worry about those two, just deeply unhappy grumpy old farts whose major mission in life is to attack anyone who says one positive thing about Canada.
It was probably more to do with nobody particularly interested in how much money, how early he retired and how many wonderful countries he has been in which all were of no help to the OP's question.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
It was probably more to do with nobody particularly interested in how much money, how early he retired and how many wonderful countries he has been in which all were of no help to the OP's question.
Not necessarily. I'm curious about how he retired early.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 6:26 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I knew this would be a good/bad (point of view) thread as soon as Dulciusexasperis gave his sermon in post 15. A word to the wise Dulci - I would strongly advise against telling everyone/anyone the in-depth story of how you came to retire at 43. I'm really not sure it's germane to the original post about retiring to Vancouver Island. You've established you don't like Islands, you don't like rain, you're rich and have lots of sage advice about how others should conduct their financial affairs. Why not leave it at that?
Old Mar 11th 2014, 6:51 pm
Banned

Well rivingtonpike, it's clear to me that some people will 'read in' things that weren't written. You for example state that I am rich. Where did I ever say that? All I said was I was retired. I could be retired on a $20k a year income.

Saying you retired at 43 is not bragging or suggesting you are rich, it's simply a statement of fact. Reading more into it than that comes from the person reading it, not the person writing it.

Frankly, at this point, on this thread and a couple of others where I have encountered some antagonism simply from having said I retired early, I see it as the reader's problem, not MY problem. I'm comfortable with having retired at 43, why it should upset anyone else I have no idea.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 7:36 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Well rivingtonpike, it's clear to me that some people will 'read in' things that weren't written. You for example state that I am rich. Where did I ever say that? All I said was I was retired. I could be retired on a $20k a year income.

Saying you retired at 43 is not bragging or suggesting you are rich, it's simply a statement of fact. Reading more into it than that comes from the person reading it, not the person writing it.

Frankly, at this point, on this thread and a couple of others where I have encountered some antagonism simply from having said I retired early, I see it as the reader's problem, not MY problem. I'm comfortable with having retired at 43, why it should upset anyone else I have no idea.

What possible relevance has the fact you retired at 43 got to do with the suitability of Vancouver Island as a retirement destination - or for that matter you unsolicited financial advice and opinions? You brought up the fact of your retirement age, no-one else. I assumed from your "statements of fact" that you had put your nose to the grindstone and retired so young as a concequence implied that your strategy had been a success. If you are, indeed, poor after all, I at least apologise for the uninformed assumption.

A last curiosity - you mention above that referring to retiring so young had caused antagonism in a few other threads. Why do you mention it so much? Highly commendable I'm sure - but the relevance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.