Reload this Page >

Retiring to Kelowna

Retiring to Kelowna

Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

tsherar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retiring to Kelowna

Hi,
My wife and I are considering moving/retiring to Kelowna, when my daughter and son in law (who is Canadian) take up positions in the university.
I am 63, my wife 54, and we live in North Devon England and have been retired for several years. I mainly play golf, guitar, cook and walk the dogs, as there is not much else to do.
Apart from golf my other interests are: tennis, theatre, music and eating out, (which is getting rather expensive now 70+ $Can per head average).
A worry is that the golf clubs shut in Kelowna from nov-march, so I would be very interested to hear from retirees and others on their experiences etc, esp. how they spend the winter.
Also I have been doing some research on the cost of living, and I think that overall it is cheaper in Canada than in the UK. I think that my pension(s) can be taxed in Canada which has a lower taxation, and the taxes on a house of $400-$500K will be significantly less than the $3960 p.a. we pay here.
Food and other household items appear to be cheaper, and the only downside is the cost of wine-LOL.
Anyway, if anyone can give me any advice it will be much appreciated, as our other option is to move to France!
Thanks in advance
terry
Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to Kelowna

Hi and welcome to BE.

Canada has no provision for retiring here, however children can sponsor their parents.

Here is a recent thread on the same subject post number five may be of interest, children sponsoring parents.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586461

There is also a Wiki article on this subject.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Retiring_in_Canada

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jan 25th 2009 at 3:35 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:20 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tsherar
....our other option is to move to France!
Thanks in advance
terry
.... or possibly Spain, which has a large expat community and you can play golf all year .....

You could still come over for extended visits with your family here, and there is nothing to stop you having your own property here as well, say for the summer months.

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Jan 25th 2009 at 4:33 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
My wife and I are considering moving/retiring to Kelowna, when my daughter and son in law (who is Canadian) take up positions in the university.
I am 63, my wife 54, and we live in North Devon England and have been retired for several years. I mainly play golf, guitar, cook and walk the dogs, as there is not much else to do.
Apart from golf my other interests are: tennis, theatre, music and eating out, (which is getting rather expensive now 70+ $Can per head average).
A worry is that the golf clubs shut in Kelowna from nov-march, so I would be very interested to hear from retirees and others on their experiences etc, esp. how they spend the winter.
Also I have been doing some research on the cost of living, and I think that overall it is cheaper in Canada than in the UK. I think that my pension(s) can be taxed in Canada which has a lower taxation, and the taxes on a house of $400-$500K will be significantly less than the $3960 p.a. we pay here.
Food and other household items appear to be cheaper, and the only downside is the cost of wine-LOL.
Anyway, if anyone can give me any advice it will be much appreciated, as our other option is to move to France!
Thanks in advance
terry
There are quite a lot of threads about cost of living and it's maybe a case of swings and roundabouts.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I cannot think of a worse place to move to. Spain has been totally ruined, it has allowed the total ruination of its coastal and to some extent inland beauty.

France has retained it's individuality. Its regions have jealously guarded it's food, customs and rigorous building regulations.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Moving to Canada is not about cheaper living costs though that is a benefit, it is about living near our family.
terry
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:03 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I cannot think of a worse place to move to. Spain has been totally ruined, it has allowed the total ruination of its coastal and to some extent inland beauty.

France has retained it's individuality. Its regions have jealously guarded it's food, customs and rigorous building regulations.
Downside is - it's full of French!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Upside - full of French girls!

Gotta love those beaches!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Upside - full of French girls!

Gotta love those beaches!
Yeah but girls are cheaper in Canada
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi Triumph,
If I wanted that I would move to Sweden. I remember spending 6 months in Toronto in the 70's and seeing the Canadian girls come out of hibernation.
Bit like the butterfly emerging from the chrysalis.
terry
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi Elaine,
That's going to go down well.
terry
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi Seaham,
So is Quebec, or they think they are.
terry
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:22 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Seaham,
So is Quebec, or they think they are.
terry
Gladly I'm far enough away for it not to matter!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Totally agree.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Elaine,
That's going to go down well.
terry
By cheap I just meant low maintenance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.