Reload this Page >

Resume / CV Advice please

Resume / CV Advice please

Old Oct 17th 2004, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

RIDD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Resume / CV Advice please

Hi

Can anyone advise on creating a resume to submit to Canadian Companies as I am told that they are somewhat differently structured to the ones we use in the UK. Also are there any good resume building sites that anyone can reccomend or where examples can be seen so an idea can be gained on what is the format, layout etc.

Cheers

Old Oct 17th 2004, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Default Re: Resume / CV Advice please

Originally Posted by RIDD
Hi

Can anyone advise on creating a resume to submit to Canadian Companies as I am told that they are somewhat differently structured to the ones we use in the UK. Also are there any good resume building sites that anyone can reccomend or where examples can be seen so an idea can be gained on what is the format, layout etc.

Cheers

Hi,

You can check out Monster.ca and also workopolis.ca, they have tips on resumes, interviews etc.

A site that I really like is this one: www.quintcareers.com.

I'm not sure if you are in canada yet, but there are always loads of "How to make a resume" books in your local library!

Another thing that is different to the U.K. is sending a Thank you note/e-mail/letter after an interview! This is pretty much essential.

I am fortunate and had my resume checked and revised by a career councellor as part of a course that I took.I also asked a friend and a family member to look it over!! It's served me really well and have had a 95% hit rate with it. I'm not sure if you will have access to a careers advisor, but if you have any Canadian contacts you could ask them to look it over for you!

Good luck, let me know how it goes!

Interested
Old Oct 17th 2004, 3:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Interested
Hi,

You can check out Monster.ca and also workopolis.ca, they have tips on resumes, interviews etc.

I'm not sure if you are in canada yet, but there are always loads of "How to make a resume" books in your local library!

Another thing that is different to the U.K. is sending a Thank you note/e-mail/letter after an interview! This is pretty much essential.

I am fortunate and had my resume checked and revised by a career councellor as part of a course that I took.I also asked a friend and a family member to look it over!! It's served me really well and have had a 95% hit rate with it. I'm not sure if you will have access to a careers advisor, but if you have any Canadian contacts you could ask them to look it over for you!

Interested
Thats good advice, and a usefull looking site.

My offer to email my resume as an example of a Canadian one still stands. Send me an email and Ill send a sanitized version of my Resume and a cover letter. (Cant attach anything to a PM). This was tweaked a while ago by an "outplacement consultant" who had a few good ideas. US and Canadian resume are essentially the same thing, UK CVs seem to be heading in the same direction, as more of a sales document than a straight list of job functions and qualifications.

Dont forget there is no A4 paper here, so set it up for Letter size (8.5x11) paper before you do anything, and use the Canadian English language option for the spell checker. Try and avoid going over 2 pages. Three is an absoute max, and only if you have a lot of relevant experience. A lot of resumes are one page for "low level" jobs here.

Good Luck

Iain

Last edited by iaink; Oct 17th 2004 at 3:51 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Interested
Hi,

Interested
Cheers Guys
Old Oct 18th 2004, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink

My offer to email my resume as an example of a Canadian one still stands. Send me an email and Ill send a sanitized version of my Resume and a cover letter. (Cant attach anything to a PM). This was tweaked a while ago by an "outplacement consultant" who had a few good ideas. US and Canadian resume are essentially the same thing, UK CVs seem to be heading in the same direction, as more of a sales document than a straight list of job functions and qualifications.

Dont forget there is no A4 paper here, so set it up for Letter size (8.5x11) paper before you do anything, and use the Canadian English language option for the spell checker. Try and avoid going over 2 pages. Three is an absoute max, and only if you have a lot of relevant experience. A lot of resumes are one page for "low level" jobs here.

Good Luck

Iain
Thats fantastic Iain, thanks a lot. A lot different to the UK ones, more straight to the point.

Thanks again
Old Aug 28th 2005, 6:33 pm
Salah Uddeen

Salah Uddeen is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Resume / CV Advice please

Hi Iain,

I have just come across your reply below. As I am moving to Canada from London, would you be so kind as to email me a copy of your sanitized version of your resume and a cover letter, please.

One seems bombarded by suggestions of how it should look like. I trust people who have succeeded on the Canadian job market, like you.

Many thanks,

Salah Uddeen.

================================================== ========

Good Luck

Iain
Old Aug 28th 2005, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Just as a personal experience,
I mailed a UK CV over and ended up with a meal/chat/interview, whilst on our two week visit, I think , If you have what a employer is after, they will be interested, with a half decent UK CV.
Admitted a US/Can CV/resume is best, but don't miss chances just because you haven't one.
Didn't know about the contact after the interview bit, but I sent a mail just to say thanks, and found I am awaiting a packaged offer, anyone know if a company pension & medical cover comes as standard ?
Cheers
Jerry
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:07 pm
Salah Uddeen

Thumbs up Re: Resume / CV Advice please

First of all congratulations...your story lifts my spirits up....

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi,
Just as a personal experience,
I mailed a UK CV over and ended up with a meal/chat/interview, whilst on our two week visit, I think , If you have what a employer is after, they will be interested, with a half decent UK CV.
Admitted a US/Can CV/resume is best, but don't miss chances just because you haven't one.
Didn't know about the contact after the interview bit, but I sent a mail just to say thanks, and found I am awaiting a packaged offer, anyone know if a company pension & medical cover comes as standard ?
Cheers
Jerry
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Salah Uddeen
First of all congratulations...your story lifts my spirits up....
Hi,
Thanks,
It was a suprise to me, as it was only the second company I contacted, but must admitt I spent many hours researching on the net for employers in my line of work.
Glad it lifted your spirits, never let life grind you down.
Cheers
Jerry
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Salah, its posted in this thread (in numerous formats)

Hope it helps.

Congrats Jerry, norms for a package depend on the job function / seniority.

For salary positions, medical is usually included, some companies include RRSP contribution matching, some have company pension schemes, and some have nothing. For contract positions usually there are no benefits attached.

Good Luck

Iain

Originally Posted by Salah Uddeen
Hi Iain,

I have just come across your reply below. As I am moving to Canada from London, would you be so kind as to email me a copy of your sanitized version of your resume and a cover letter, please.

One seems bombarded by suggestions of how it should look like. I trust people who have succeeded on the Canadian job market, like you.

Many thanks,

Salah Uddeen.

================================================== ========
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:11 pm
Salah Uddeen

Best of Luck for the future..
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:13 pm
Salah Uddeen

Thanks Iain...got it now...cheers!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Salah, its posted in this thread (in numerous formats)

Hope it helps.

Congrats Jerry, norms for a package depend on the job function / seniority.

For salary positions, medical is usually included, some companies include RRSP contribution matching, some have company pension schemes, and some have nothing. For contract positions usually there are no benefits attached.

Good Luck

Iain

Hi,
Many thanks for the info, a great help, just keeping fingers crossed the package is acceptable for us.

Any ideas what a roughly deductions from pay are ? ( i.e. UK about 1/3 usually goes in tax & NI , etc )
Cheers
Jerry
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi,
Many thanks for the info, a great help, just keeping fingers crossed the package is acceptable for us.

Any ideas what a roughly deductions from pay are ? ( i.e. UK about 1/3 usually goes in tax & NI , etc )
Cheers
Jerry
Which province?

The cra website will have info on tax and EI, CPP percentages etc if you want exact details (there is a downloadable payroll application), In Ontario figure on between 25 to 33% total deducted from gross pay over the year, depending on salary. Im in the 60s, last year my basic pay was deducted by 27%, but some was reclaimed for spousal allowance, and I get child benefit back too. Remember though that EI & CPP are taken at a percentage rate until the max contribution is reached, once you have paid in a certain amount you get a boost in take home pay as the max contribution is reached later on in the year....then january rolls around and it goes back down again if you dont get a raise
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RIDD
Hi

Cheers

I dont know what the fuss is all about when i read agencies stating that they will happily change a UK cv to a canadian resume? I sent a good ole british cv off to a company in ontario on behalf of hubby. Started off with a few lines about himself, work experience, starting with present job, followed by qualifications. I had positive feedback from them all......one saying-

quote.. I will definetly keep your resume on file. Let me know when
you have a better idea when you will be moving. Definetly interested- great
resume! Keep me posted! Take care and good luck with immigration-unquote..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.